Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I have a 2013 LT 1.4 and was wondering what to do...

My current mileage is 74038 and I have no idea if the fluid in the Transmission has ever been changed.

I am planning on buying Ammsoil ATF fluid regardless but am just curious as to whether I should get it "changed" or "flushed"?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

-Bwb1179

·
Registered
193 Posts
Flushing is essential the only way to properly change it. The trans has roughly 7-8L in it (I can't remember exactly numbers). When you drain it, only about 4L come out. So you would have 4L of Amsoil and 3-4L of old fluid in the trans. Drain it again after running it, then fill it and you'll have around 6L Amsoil and 1-2L old fluid (theoretical). Flushing would exchange the old fluid with the new Amsoil. Leaving none of the oil fluid behind.

It would more come down to whether or not you trust a shop to properly flush the trans. If you don't then I would buy extra fluid and do multiple drain and fills.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flushing is essential the only way to properly change it. The trans has roughly 7-8L in it (I can't remember exactly numbers). When you drain it, only about 4L come out. So you would have 4L of Amsoil and 3-4L of old fluid in the trans. Drain it again after running it, then fill it and you'll have around 6L Amsoil and 1-2L old fluid (theoretical). Flushing would exchange the old fluid with the new Amsoil. Leaving none of the oil fluid behind.

It would more come down to whether or not you trust a shop to properly flush the trans. If you don't then I would buy extra fluid and do multiple drain and fills.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Thank you! I wasnt sure which, I had heard some say that it could dislodge debris in the transmission and make things worse so I thought id ask.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
If your car had 150k miles on it and you weren't sure if the fluid had ever been changed, I would have said drain/fill ... but since you're under 100k miles, you should be safe to do a flush/fill. The reason for the difference is due to the possibility of buildup/deposits inside the transmission of a 150K mile car or even a low mileage car that's 10-15 years old. These most likely would not be causing any problems at the time you decide to change it, until you go in there and flush the system out with forceful fluid pressure, which could cause them to dislodge and find a new resting place that may actually end up causing you to have problems with your transmission, thus the importance of regular maintenance and following the recommended schedule by the vehicle manufacturer. Best of luck!

Reactions: MP81

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may as well ask this here.. How much Amsoil Signature Series ATF do I need to buy for a flush on this car? And how much has everyone spent on the Amsoil ATF? How much is it if youre a preferred customer?

Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I would do a drain/fill using the engine's transmission fluid pump to drain the transmission. As a general rule don't use the older style high pressure flush on the Cruze's transmission.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I may as well ask this here.. How much Amsoil Signature Series ATF do I need to buy for a flush on this car? And how much has everyone spent on the Amsoil ATF? How much is it if youre a preferred customer?

Thank you!!
I used 9qt to do a flush. I unhooked a cooler line and pumped 2q out and shut it off, added 2qt and repeated the process until I used up all 8 bottles and then got the level right with the 9th bottle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used 9qt to do a flush. I unhooked a cooler line and pumped 2q out and shut it off, added 2qt and repeated the process until I used up all 8 bottles and then got the level right with the 9th bottle.
Was this hard to do by yourself? How much time did it take? And what exactly is the process?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Was this hard to do by yourself? How much time did it take? And what exactly is the process?
It was extremely easy to do by myself. I've done trans flushes this way on all my trucks and cars, practically foolproof. I followed this post but I would start the car myself, let it pump 2qt out and would shut it off and I would add 2qt of fresh fluid back in to the trans.

https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/129...sion-fluid-flush-post2986482.html#post2986482

I did that 4 times and the level was close to perfect once it got up to temp. Took about 30 mins from start to finish...I started with a warm transmission, so that helped get the new fluid up to temp quicker too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was extremely easy to do by myself. I've done trans flushes this way on all my trucks and cars, practically foolproof. I followed this post but I would start the car myself, let it pump 2qt out and would shut it off and I would add 2qt of fresh fluid back in to the trans.

https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/129...sion-fluid-flush-post2986482.html#post2986482

I did that 4 times and the level was close to perfect once it got up to temp. Took about 30 mins from start to finish...I started with a warm transmission, so that helped get the new fluid up to temp quicker too.
Thank You! I didnt know it was this easy to do yourself So i think I will end up following that post you linked! Follow up question is, did you use amsoil ATF? If so did you buy it through their preferred customer program? How much was 9qt?

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Thank You! I didnt know it was this easy to do yourself So i think I will end up following that post you linked! Follow up question is, did you use amsoil ATF? If so did you buy it through their preferred customer program? How much was 9qt?

Thanks again!!

I did use Amsoil, 9 ATLQT bottles. I'm an amsoil dealer, so pretty much paid what a "PC" (Preferred Customer) pays.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks again!!

I did use Amsoil, 9 ATLQT bottles. I'm an amsoil dealer, so pretty much paid what a "PC" (Preferred Customer) pays.
What does a PC pay per quart?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just wanted to post a quick conclusion! Its complete! Transmission shifts as though its not even there! Its like a brand new car. Thank you to everyone who replied!

Only tough thing was checking the level as I wasnt expecting the fluid to come out as quickly as it did. Ended up draining about a quart of fluid out which was a little weird but the fluid level seems right now.

thanks again!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Just wanted to post a quick conclusion! Its complete! Transmission shifts as though its not even there! Its like a brand new car. Thank you to everyone who replied!

Only tough thing was checking the level as I wasnt expecting the fluid to come out as quickly as it did. Ended up draining about a quart of fluid out which was a little weird but the fluid level seems right now.

thanks again!
did you check the level with the car running and at operating temp after shifting through the gears?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

thanks again!
did you check the level with the car running and at operating temp after shifting through the gears?
****.. That I did not. I did shift through the gears but did not check with it running. Could it have been THAT off without running it? Or will it still be pretty close?

·
Registered
645 Posts
****.. That I did not. I did shift through the gears but did not check with it running. Could it have been THAT off without running it? Or will it still be pretty close?
that's why you had so much fluid come out. The correct procedure is to get the fluid up to temp, leave the engine running and trans in P and remove the fluid level check bolt.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.