Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 1.4T I wanted to increase my already awesome gas mileage but I don't want to sacrifice my power. I want to set my ponies free on a diet if you will. I'm looking at a cold air intake and new exhust but that only takes you so far. My main question is what tuner if any has has the best results for all of you?

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
You won't even need a cold air intake and an exhaust. A proper tune will make you smile from ear to ear, without even worrying about buying any thing else.

·
10,695 Posts
You won't even need a cold air intake and an exhaust. A proper tune will make you smile from ear to ear, without even worrying about buying any thing else.
All I have is plugs and been happy for about a year now.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Still mystified about the technical aspects of a "tune", exactly what are they doing? More different pros and cons on this subject.

On vehicle like my 82 P-30 motorhome chassis, was only getting 7 mpg. Everything was off, poor spark plug wire, frozen centrifugal advance, AF was running rich, initial timing, etc. When I was done, kicked off the instant I hit the key and was getting 15 mpg, with a lot more power.

On some OBD I vehicle, the CAS bracket was bend, the whole reference for timing. Had to make my own timing marks, was 5* off retarded, fuel economy jumped from 16 to 24 mpg.

What I read about tunes, is maybe a 3 hp increase, with a stipulation, use 91 octane instead of 87.

Okay, I admit, have a lot to learn about tunes. Only thing accomplished with air intake and exhaust is more noise.

So tell me what a tune does, I will listen.

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
I bought a tune a couple of years ago and have been back and forth with it(seemed there was a problem with my tune and turbo kicked in unexpectedly). I find just running premium gas in my 1.4 Eco does fine for power. Try using a few tanks of premium which you will need to do if you tune and see if that helps some. Yes I could get more with the tune but I have 6M so I don't need help with the shifting that the tune also provides. Depends on what you are looking to do.

·
10,695 Posts
Still mystified about the technical aspects of a "tune", exactly what are they doing? More different pros and cons on this subject.

On vehicle like my 82 P-30 motorhome chassis, was only getting 7 mpg. Everything was off, poor spark plug wire, frozen centrifugal advance, AF was running rich, initial timing, etc. When I was done, kicked off the instant I hit the key and was getting 15 mpg, with a lot more power.

On some OBD I vehicle, the CAS bracket was bend, the whole reference for timing. Had to make my own timing marks, was 5* off retarded, fuel economy jumped from 16 to 24 mpg.

What I read about tunes, is maybe a 3 hp increase, with a stipulation, use 91 octane instead of 87.

Okay, I admit, have a lot to learn about tunes. Only thing accomplished with air intake and exhaust is more noise.

So tell me what a tune does, I will listen.
Tune tweaks AFR and quite a few other things. 5-10 hp increase was GM's own hella expensive tune and required 91. The others on the market have maps for 87 so you can go back and forth as you like.

Pros
*Car drives better
*Car is more responsive
*Car can now overtake a few more slow cars on a 2 lane road

Cons
*Bad tuners can blow your engine if they are simply after dyno numbers alone and not longevity of the motor.
*Warranty issues if you push the envelope of the tune to the limits
*Removing the governor(when requested) and out driving the cars tires and braking system
*Drivability issues if you fully modified the car and took the tune off leaving the parts on the car for dealership service.
Intakes and exhausts(catback, not down pipe) is just noise as the parts on the car are over sized already.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Boost never kicks in for me when I don't want it to. I have the efi live setup and it's quite a difference, to me, over the trifecta tune, anyway. BNR has put a good tune together. Very smooth and power comes in very fast.

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
Boost never kicks in for me when I don't want it to. I have the efi live setup and it's quite a difference, to me, over the trifecta tune, anyway. BNR has put a good tune together. Very smooth and power comes in very fast.
The tune I am having trouble with is the old select a tune. I am sure the updated tune(which I opted against) is better than what I had so what ever you buy now is much better. I should probably try again with the new version.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I have a 2014 1.4T I wanted to increase my already awesome gas mileage but I don't want to sacrifice my power. I want to set my ponies free on a diet if you will. I'm looking at a cold air intake and new exhust but that only takes you so far. My main question is what tuner if any has has the best results for all of you?
There are guys on youtube that put a bone stock car on a dyno to see if a aftermarket intake and exhaust makes a difference, guess what, no difference. Its a massive waste of money, you only benefit from those parts unless you are truly modifying the engine all out.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
There are guys on youtube that put a bone stock car on a dyno to see if a aftermarket intake and exhaust makes a difference, guess what, no difference. Its a massive waste of money, you only benefit from those parts unless you are truly modifying the engine all out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwNtjKT_1cA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbGWgvJN1_8
https://www.youtube.com/user/mightycarmods/search?query=myth

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Still mystified about the technical aspects of a "tune", exactly what are they doing?
Changing the fuel and timing mappings to better utilize high octane premium fuel. Sure there are a few 87 octane tunes, but those don't gain near as much power as a premium fuel tune.

My car is stock and will remain that way for possible longer lasting engine. With that said I would love to gain more than 30HP and 30lb-ft of torque more than stock!

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
My car is stock and will remain that way for possible longer lasting engine. With that said I would love to gain more than 30HP and 30lb-ft of torque more than stock!
You're missing out. Refer back to my smile post. Life is too short not to have some fun.

·
Administrator
25,080 Posts
Changing the fuel and timing mappings to better utilize high octane premium fuel. Sure there are a few 87 octane tunes, but those don't gain near as much power as a premium fuel tune.
Based on the feedback we're getting there's even a GM 87 octane tune that helps. It's the current recall for 2011-2013 Cruze.

·
Vendor
971 Posts
It's not just adding timing and boost and changing AFR.

I'll try to give you an idea in laymen's terms of what the ECM is doing-

The ECM in the Cruze/Sonic (and a lot of other stuff, even in the 2011 Silverado 6.0...) is the E78. The E78 is a torque based system. There are multiple driver demand tables that the car can switch between at any given time, that command the engine to deliver X amount of power at Y throttle position and Z RPM (or speed depending on OS version). So for example, at 100% throttle and 5500RPM the value could be 136HP or whatever value GM engineers have chosen.

The engine will then begin to make power within the limits set by GM, including maximum allowed boost, timing, and torque. Depending on Intake Air Temperatures, the ECM will also have limits on timing and reduce it accordingly. On top of that, the ECM can switch between low octane and high octane timing tables based on learned Knock, or detonation. The stock maximum allowed boost is usually somewhere around 17-18psi, but remember the car will only make that much boost if it's needed to meet the demanded power level. So at elevation of, say 5000ft, the car will make more boost than it would at 0ft because the air is thinner, and more is required to make the demanded power.

With tuning you can raise this limit, as well as the maximum boost, maximum torque, timing, etc. to "coax" the car to make more power. Manipulating AFR, adding to the max timing, cam phasing, and power enrichment tables can allow the car to make even more power than simply asking for more and raising the limiters.

I hope this helps give an understanding of what tuning actually does on a modern torque-based controller. It's much more complicated, with hundreds of tables that can be manipulated, and operating system patches, but this is a general overview.

·
Vendor
971 Posts
This should also explain why when you add mods, the car will make more power for a little bit, but then go back to stock power levels. It's because the ECM knows how much is allowed, and will do what it takes to maintain that power. The reason for this is so that every customer, no matter what the weather conditions, elevation, etc. are, will have the same experience with the same vehicle.

·
10,695 Posts

Tunes from the vendors here don't break engines, they speed up the failure of bad parts/builds that was already going to break under stock power levels.

Refer to #PIP5036: Possible Oil Consumption With Cracked Piston or Pistons

Commonly found in 2012's but they list 11-13 Sonic-Cruze with LUJ engines where GM says Oil consumption greateter than 1 Qt in 2000 miles is excessive.

If you are going to be here on Friday I should be around for a little bit so you can see the tune. Even in the rain 2nd hooks up.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
With an IC engine power and reliably always has been on the opposite sides of the stick. Increase one of the two, the other goes down. One solution is to use superior materials, but won't find this in a consumer quality product, if anything, just the opposite with plastic and aluminum used far more frequently than ever before.

Playing with AF ratios? Tad to rich, carbon up the engine, yes more power, but certainly not long term. Major consequence is burning up and plugging up your catalytic converter. This really decreases even short term power. Solution? Get rid of it, consequence? If caught, a $25,000 fine.

Too lean, exhaust valves take a beating, need enough fuel intake to cool them, also combustion chamber temperatures will increase generating excessive amounts of NOx's, EPA has a say on this, with better materials, can take the extra heat, but someone will have to develop a catalytic converter to reduce NOx emissions. Been trying this for the last 45 years without success. NOx's are not good for your health, but this is besides the point, just want better fuel economy.

Direct fuel injection can solve many low octane fuel problems, but still can't lean burn due to high NOx emissions. Fuel is also a key issue, some controversy going on today about all this crap the EPA is mandating to reduce emissions, while killing us at the same time.

Major culprit to performance is unleaded gas, lead was added to reduce combustion chamber temperatures. Leaded was 2100*F, unleaded increased this to 2600*F! Enough to burn out exhaust valves and burn holes into pistons. EPA didn't care about this, just excess amount of NOx production. Ever hear about smog? Also an health issue.

Water injection would have been the best solution if some kind of anti-freeze could have been developed, but EGR was used instead. With the minor side effect that up to 30% of the effective engine displacement was reduced. This really cut performance.

Two ways of doing this, using a valve or closing the exhaust valves earlier that is the method the 1.4L engine uses. Another alternative would be to experiment with lead substitute additives.

Key element is still the fuel used, a higher octane fuel increases the length of the combustion cycle, reduced considerably with lower octane fuels.

Yes, you can play a few percentages points with a tune, but see some really get carried away with this. And yes, with a stock tune, compromises are made because over 155 different blends of fuel are available. Just question is it really worth it with risks of losing your warranty.

At best, is only a trade-off, one of the most common phases used in design energy work. And really can't do what you want to do, have to answer to the government.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts