Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a 2011, 1.4 liter turbo, lt. So yesterday, I went to my mechanic for an oil change. He flushed out the old oil, replaced the filter and started pouring in the new one. I realized that he continued to pour in more oil even after finishing a 4.25 qt bottle. I asked him, how much oil do you put in? He said 5.25 qt. At that point I was not aware how much the vehicle required and didn't question what he was doing. And when I got back home, I checked the manual and there you go, it says 4.25 lt is enough.
What I'm supposed to do now? This is my second oil change with him and nothing bad happened after the first oil change and he says he had put the same amount before.

·
Administrator
25,087 Posts
Park your car on level ground and let it sit for an hour. Check the oil level using the dipstick. Also, take a look under the car to make sure it's not leaking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to dipstick, its more than the maximum amount. I pull it out, wipe it clean then put it in and pull back to see and the metal part is completely oily.
No leaks so far though.

·
Administrator
25,087 Posts
Fortunately for you the Gen 1 Cruze is somewhat forgiving on too much oil. I'd still want to remove some of that oil. My other concern is did he use a dexos1 or better full synthetic oil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank god and thank you a bunch.
He used 5-30 motul, and I saw dexos 1 mark on the bottle.
As for the excess oil, any ideas on how to get rid of it without removing the oil tank bolt under the car?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thank god and thank you a bunch.
He used 5-30 motul, and I saw dexos 1 mark on the bottle.
As for the excess oil, any ideas on how to get rid of it without removing the oil tank bolt under the car?
Only other way would be a suction tube down the dipstick tube.

Regardless, overfill conditions create oil aeration / foaming. Air in the oil does not lubricate components. Hard to say how much damage it could have caused.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Take it back to the "mechanic", and tell him to drain a quart...
It likely didnt do any harm as long as it wasnt driven hard.
I'd still get it corrected ASAP.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So today I went back to his shop with the owner's manual in my hands. Showed him the correct amount. He seemed surprised and checked it on GM's website and it said the same thing.
He ended up draining a quart.
I hope it didnt cause any damage already

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, it's at the max level, but not above it like before. Its kinda strange but whatever. I've seen him draining a quart by the way

1 - 11 of 11 Posts