Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: pacolino

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
102 Posts
For those interested in a European Topside oil change method it appears it works on the 2.0 Diesel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOC-MlAMLaU
That is actually my car in the video! Just so you know although this method works on the Gen1 Cruze it will not be as simple on the Gen2. The Gen2 has the filter located in the oil pan so you would need to lift the car to change the filter anyways.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
:eek:ccasion14:
all the oil in my car (aside from the initial 4 free dealer changes) has been ordered from you.

your shipping to canada is super cheap.

currently the exchange rate is silly high,so dunno what ill do in 12 mos when i need more, but thats got nothing to do with your company.

ive been a happy customer.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I use an extractor on all my vehicles that I can fit the tube down the dipstick. Even on the vehicles I have to go under to change the filter on. It is still easier and faster than pulling the plug. Also use it for bleeding brakes, removing tranny fluid, and used it to remove coolant on some too. Best money I have spent on a tool for my garage.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
That is actually my car in the video! Just so you know although this method works on the Gen1 Cruze it will not be as simple on the Gen2. The Gen2 has the filter located in the oil pan so you would need to lift the car to change the filter anyways.
Literally in the oil pan, like the Tech4 variant of the old 2.5L Iron Duke?
Or pointing downward near the oil pan, like the 1.4L LE2?

·
Site Sponsor
102 Posts
Literally in the oil pan, like the Tech4 variant of the old 2.5L Iron Duke?
Or pointing downward near the oil pan, like the 1.4L LE2?
The housing is built right into the pan.

Text Line art Drawing Diagram Design

Reactions: MRO1791 and Taxman

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
The Gen2 has the filter located in the oil pan so you would need to lift the car to change the filter anyways.
Wow, so the Gen 2 oil pan must be pulled at each oil filter change?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It appears to be the same plastic cap design as the GEN 1 1.4L Gasser and GEN 1 2.0L Diesel. But it threads into the pan instead of the oil cooler assembly.

I wonder what they did for an oil cooler, if the whisper diesel has an actual oil cooler.

Thanks for posting the pictures, by service manual access doesn't have info on the new 1.4L Turbo engines or the new 1.6L Turbo diesel.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
It appears to be the same plastic cap design as the GEN 1 1.4L Gasser and GEN 1 2.0L Diesel. But it threads into the pan instead of the oil cooler assembly.
I wonder if oil gushes out on your hand when you unscrew it, those caps don't capture as much oil as a spin-on filter would.
When they are topside and vertical, the oil just drains back into the engine.

·
Site Sponsor
102 Posts
Wow, so the Gen 2 oil pan must be pulled at each oil filter change?
Luckily the filter can be removed without pulling the pan. The filter cap will just unscrew and the filter is clicked into it.

I wonder if oil gushes out on your hand when you unscrew it, those caps don't capture as much oil as a spin-on filter would.
When they are topside and vertical, the oil just drains back into the engine.

The cap actually has a drain port for the filter that can be opened with an allen wrench.

Auto part

Also the cap uses a 24mm socket

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Looks like the Gen 2 is a cleaner design. Remove the drain plug, remove the housing without the usual spillage. I like it.

The Gen 1 Filter change can be done without spillage, just have to keep front of vehicle no more than a few inches in the air and let the filter drain before removing.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
The filter access on gen 2 looks great...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts