Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the central / southern Illinois area and can not find a single gas station around that carries toptiergas even at a local Phillips 66 station they had no clue what toptiergas was even most of the stations in the area are Circle K, Casey's , and Huck's
I live in the Salem Il area. If any know of any stations in the area that have toptiergas please let me know
Thank you

·
Registered
215 Posts
Did you check this link? No stations near you have the names on this list?

I like Shell, myself. My old Nissan seemed to run stronger on it, and the Cruze does too, tho' I put premium in the Cruze because of worries about the early Gen2 pistons. The Cruze does get fantastic MPG when carefully driven, so that compensates some for the extra cost of Shell + premium.

'Phillips 66' is on the list. The clerk may not know anything about it (probably 96% of the USA population doesn't), but it should be Top Tier.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
1,066 Posts
Phillips is great gas. Used to run their premium in my race quad, it has a green tint (or used to) ran great.

·
Premium Member
5,349 Posts
When I asked about the toptiergas
The reply I got was we have premium.
Lol
You don't have ANY of these Retailers?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
have a Phillips 66 but I was just there and asked where they get their gas from and they do not get if from Phillips 66 they get it from Klemm Tank Lines

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Circle K has bought out most of the gas stations within a 50 mile radius of where I live other than them there are Caseys Murphy( Walmart) Hucks and a few other generic stations there is a BP a town away from me but they do not get their Gas from BP they get it form a local distributor ,, from what I have found out I would have to drive 60 miles to Find a Shell station and not sure they carry Shell gas I even checked with the local Chevy dealership and they do not know where toptiergas can be gotten

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
have a Phillips 66 but I was just there and asked where they get their gas from and they do not get if from Phillips 66 they get it from Klemm Tank Lines
Here in Michigan, it's all the same raw product from the same pipeline, delivered by trucking companies, not oil companies. It's the delivery driver that makes it into Phillips by mixing in the Phillips additive package at the retail station during delivery. Many companies' additives right there on the truck. A driver might stop at Speedway and put in 150ppm of Marathon's detergent, then go to Shell and put in Shell's detergent, then go to the Marathon station and put in 400ppm of Marathon's detergent... (Marathon is top tier and Speedway is not)

When a brand is certified Top Tier, they's promising that all grades at all stations bearing that brand at least meet Top Tier requirements. Some, like Shell, might go further and say that their Premium has double the detergent level of their Regular, meaning the Premium has more than double that required for Top Tier certification.

·
Administrator
25,490 Posts
Regardless - make sure you purchase gasoline from a high volume station and never buy while the truck is there filling the underground tanks.

·
Premium Member
5,349 Posts
I have used 779 Gallons in the CRUZE since 1/2/2004 and all but 79 Gallons were non Top Tier. For 100 years Oil Companies have been selling their own version of Top Tier. Why just look at this blend now 2X better than what everyone else sells, if you believe the hype?

Exxon Mobil Synergy Supreme+ keeps your engine 2X cleaner for better gas mileage.

With new Synergy Supreme+ premium gasoline, you can keep your engine 2X cleaner for better gas mileage.‡ That means it’s not just our best fuel ever – it could even be your engine’s favorite fuel ever.
Synergy Supreme+ premium gas generally has an octane level of 93, but may be blended and sold at an octane level of 91 or 92 in certain areas of the US. Higher-octane gasoline provides improved performance in vehicles designed to run on premium gasoline.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know Phillips 66 and BP are on the Toptiergas gas list. But the BP and Phillips 66 in the area do not display the Toptier logo anywhere I do have the name of the delivery service for the Phillips 66 will give them a call I'm just surprised that there are no stations in the area that display the toptiergas logo . Would think if the offer it the would push that in marketing

·
Administrator
25,490 Posts
I know Phillips 66 and BP are on the Toptiergas gas list. But the BP and Phillips 66 in the area do not display the Toptier logo anywhere I do have the name of the delivery service for the Phillips 66 will give them a call I'm just surprised that there are no stations in the area that display the toptiergas logo . Would think if the offer it the would push that in marketing
I've driven across the country a few times since the Top Tier program started. I've never seen a station displaying the Top Tier logo. In addition, with just about everybody and their brother, including Bubba's truck repair and gas pump, being on the Top Tier list, there really isn't a marketing advantage anymore.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yeah I think I noticed it like once before. It was like oh hey that's that thing I read about on an internet forum that one time ha.

Just stick to major stations and you should be fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is only Phillips 66 on the town closet to me a d the next closest town has a BP
Circle K is buying up a the stations in the area
It's all generic stations now except for those 2
Circle K , Casey's , Murphy. Aka Walmart , Huck's and a few others
Name brand stations are going the way of the dodo im my area

·
Administrator
25,490 Posts
There is only Phillips 66 on the town closet to me a d the next closest town has a BP
Circle K is buying up a the stations in the area
It's all generic stations now except for those 2
Circle K , Casey's , Murphy. Aka Walmart , Huck's and a few others
Name brand stations are going the way of the dodo im my area
Stick to high volume stations and it won't really matter. You may want to run a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner through the tank at every oil change but other than that I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife worked with the motor fuel industry while she was an Administrator for the State. (I live in Springfield). All of the majors, BP, Shell, Exxon-Mobil, Phillips 66, use proprietary ingredients that are dropped into their fuel when the trucks pick it up from the supplier. These ingredients include detergents, which I am assuming you are asking about. I called the owner of the local Phillips 66 to confirm if he carried Top Tier fuel, (this station has the best prices for Top Tier Fuel). He did not know but researched and realized he did, therefore marking the pumps with Top Tier Fuel markings. He did know, however, that the fuel had additional additives. Sometimes you have to dig a little deeper when asking, but I believe you are safe using Shell as they advertise heavily about their additives. Even though most stations are marked with major branding, they are not necessarily owned by those companies. Therefore, do a little more research, ask who owns the station and get their contact info and ask. I would NOT use Casey's, Huck's, etc. They use some interesting ingredients to boost their octane that I would not want to be run through my car unless they were the only fuel I had available. Stick with the major brands and dig a little deeper. I always am a believer in 'You never know unless you ask'. Good luck!

I live in the central / southern Illinois area and can not find a single gas station around that carries toptiergas even at a local Phillips 66 station they had no clue what toptiergas was even most of the stations in the area are Circle K, Casey's , and Huck's
I live in the Salem Il area. If any know of any stations in the area that have toptiergas please let me know
Thank you

·
Registered
68 Posts
IMHO - TopTier is just a marketing gimmick.. Suppliers have to pay to have their branding. It is no different than when GM makes people pay to put Dexos on their oil bottle. I sure won't lose any sleep over using fuel that isn't 'TopTier'

1 - 20 of 26 Posts