Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m going to give you a quick run down of gas. Gas actually is made in two versions you have high and low grade then they mix high and low to get medium. While the gas is pouring into the tanker ethanol is mixed in. This prevents gas from freezing (bottled is the product called heat). The ethanol causes the debris in gas to keep from sticking to lines and metal. So if u use ethanol free for summer than ethanol in winter it’s cleaning everything left from summer and could cause gas filter clogs. The best website I found for gas information is gasbuddy.com you can set the specs to find high grade. If u are looking for 100% which is ethanol free look at Murphy USA which is Walmart gas station they usually have all versions and you can set up a reward system to get .10 per 100 points off per gal up to 20gals.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what's the reason why "toptier" is important? As I understand it, it's nothing more than a marketing ploy for certain gasoline additives. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what's the reason why "toptier" is important? As I understand it, it's nothing more than a marketing ploy for certain gasoline additives. Am I wrong?
Top tier gas or premium is the basically their best octane rated gas. The way this works is unground pipelines deliver oil and gas to terminals (like an amazon warehouse) then each distributor gets allocation which is how much they get to purchase per day. The price changes twice a day for how much the distributor has to pay. So say shell gas 1000gals of allocation and unbranded is 1000gals the gas is the same but shell might charge more because of the name shell on their “branded” gas. The cost they are paying is the same but they are charging to make a bigger profit. Crude oil makes gas diesel and oil. U refine oil to make gas what’s left over becomes diesel. Crude oil is processed Into making other things. What I’m saying is it doesn’t matter the “gas” it matters for the gas station do they have a lot of water sludge or debris in their tanks on premise. The manufactures can add things to oil such as cleaners and additives but it’s basically the same.
As for why top tier is so important because the better the octane rating the more efficiently the gas is burned during the combustion process. So less residue if ur burning a better octane rated (or top tier or preimum) usually the lower the octane number the better (this one I’m not 100% sure on).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Octane rating does not necessarily mean it's cleaner or more efficient. Higher octane gas will withstand more compression and heat before detonating and it will burn more slowly. Running a higher octane fuel means that the engine can have higher compression and more power. If you run a lower octane fuel in a high compression engine it will detonate as the piston is still "going up" and push the engine backward during the last part of the compression stroke. This can damaged the engine and will result in less power. Modern engines use the knock sensor to sense this and overcome it by changing timing and/or fuel/air mixture.

It's easier to make higher octane gas with cleaner gas. During the late 70s and early 80s, the industry was still recovery from not being able to use lead additive to compensate for dirty gas. Buying premium at that time meant you would usually get cleaner gas. All gas was very clean by the early 90s.

If you run higher octane gas in a lower compression engine, you will get no significant benefit. The higher compression is not available for you to take advantage of. A couple of exceptions might be if you have carbon buildup or modifications such as a cam or maybe tune.

Octane additives used since the death of lead cause a "varnish" to build up in the fuel system. In addition, the tetra-ethyl lead acted as a solvent to keep varnish down. Major car manufacturers and oil companies got together and came up with detergents to add to the gas to reduce build up in the fuel system. I'm not sure what "top tier" means, but I'm guessing you have to have a certain amount of detergent to qualify for it.

The above is just my best recollection of this stuff. If you really want to know what these things mean, look it up. You are going to get so much dubious information (opinion) from a forum. I read a really great article on this stuff in Corvette Fever about 20 years ago. If I find it, I will scan it and post it here.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Top tier gas or premium is the basically their best octane rated gas. The way this works is unground pipelines deliver oil and gas to terminals (like an amazon warehouse) then each distributor gets allocation which is how much they get to purchase per day. The price changes twice a day for how much the distributor has to pay. So say shell gas 1000gals of allocation and unbranded is 1000gals the gas is the same but shell might charge more because of the name shell on their “branded” gas. The cost they are paying is the same but they are charging to make a bigger profit. Crude oil makes gas diesel and oil. U refine oil to make gas what’s left over becomes diesel. Crude oil is processed Into making other things. What I’m saying is it doesn’t matter the “gas” it matters for the gas station do they have a lot of water sludge or debris in their tanks on premise. The manufactures can add things to oil such as cleaners and additives but it’s basically the same.
As for why top tier is so important because the better the octane rating the more efficiently the gas is burned during the combustion process. So less residue if ur burning a better octane rated (or top tier or preimum) usually the lower the octane number the better (this one I’m not 100% sure on).
Wow, you couldn't be more mistaken
Image result for three stooges gas attendants

21 - 26 of 26 Posts