Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Administrator
25,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We had a major hail storm roll through the northwest side of Denver on the 8th. I got the insurance response today - my ECO MT has been totaled. I wasn't in the car but am now shopping for a new car.

·
Administrator
25,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear spoiler has a chunk out of it and the trunk, roof, and front hood all look like golf balls. I'm actually looking at the Volt.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Sorry to read this Mike, have never experienced hail, perhaps light hail without damage. Does that mean everyone on the road near you loses a car as well. At least you made it home safely. Have you lost a car due to hail damage before? Volt is very smart, classy looking!

·
2,162 Posts
Oh no!!!! My Cobalt lived through a hail storm with ~$6K worth of damage. I'd love to see pictures, as sick as that may be.

As far as a new car goes, might I recommend the MX-5 it has been treating me pretty fantastic in the 2 weeks I've had it now. In all seriousness, the Volt is a good car. Don't forget to check out the 2017 Fusion sport with the twin turbo 2.7 V6.

Attachments

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,264 Posts
Sorry to read this Mike, have never experienced hail, perhaps light hail without damage. Does that mean everyone on the road near you loses a car as well. At least you made it home safely. Have you lost a car due to hail damage before? Volt is very smart, classy looking!
This just about states IT all ...

·
Administrator
25,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
~$6,000 of visible damage. Rear spoiler has a chunk out of it. The front hood looks like it's a prototype for a large, flatish, golf ball. Both A pillars have a ding. Roof probably needs to be replaced. The trunk lid is also golf balled. The rear spoiler is integrated (I checked) with the trunk lid so that has to be replaced. The black plastic trim piece at the rear of the drivers side windows is cracked. I actually have no glass damage.

I actually got off light - Colorado Mills mall, which is about 5 miles from the Colorado School of Mines (where I work) has so much damage they don't think they'll be able to reopen until November.

The cars, in order that I'm going to look at are the Volt, Malibu Hybrid, Cruze Hatchback LT/RS, and Cruze Sedan LT/RS.

·
Administrator
25,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For anyone who hasn't experienced a hailstorm, I made this in 2006 in my back yard. Fortunately my car was under cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvLPN6nmF4Q&list=UU-21bISr9u0zZ5LYM3P9uZg&index=1
Other than the size of the hail I watched something very similar. The small stones in the storm that damaged my car were slightly larger than golf balls. I know one of the complaints about the Gen 1 Cruze was soft windshields, but I didn't see a single Big 3 Detroit late model (post 2000) vehicle with broken glass. All the broken glass on the newer vehicles was limited to Hondas, Hyundais, and Toyotas. Their windshields don't pit as readily but they also don't give when hit by hail.

·
Administrator
25,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
USAA offered me a $7,000 settlement or a $10,600 purchase. Chevy is currently running a 0% for 60 month offer on the Volt and I found a Volt close to me that matches what I'm looking for.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
Holy $h!t Mike. So sorry to hear this.

About a decade ago I was on 17 near Petawawa when hail started to strike. Everybody pulled off to the side of the highway and stopped. I didn't understand why, but did so as well thinking to myself: 'When in Rome do as the Romans.' Moments later I realized that it was to reduce the velocity with which those hailstones were hitting the car. There was no damage on my Tahoe - but that thing was a tank.

Also take a look at a Bolt if you can. I saw one at the car show and was thoroughly impressed.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
How about losing a $150K aircraft, happened to a friend of mine. We got hit last Wednesday, was half awake, made sure our vehicles were in the garage. Didn't hurt the motorhome, has a tarred roof, rest of the body is thick fiberglass.

Never hurt my Ford 2N tractor, was built like a tank, relative to our cars, more like aluminum foil.

A compact vehicle is not match for a drunk driving a large SUV.

Sounds like getting 66% of the value of your car is worse than getting 75%. Being as stubborn as I am, managed to get 92% the value of our car. But managed to get 16% off the price of a new vehicle, so threw in the towel.

Was at the point to go any further would have to hire an attorney, and he would get 35% of it. Dollars became more important to me than principle.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Well that was a real kick in the shorts!

Nothing worse than buying a car under duress........clouds the decision making process.

How is the roof on your home?

When my Jeep Commander and wifes Malibu got hailed (hard...both were golf balls but repairable) my insurance guy told me to get the roof inspected since hail of that dimension will crack shingles.

He was correct......new roof, new gutters, two cars to repair.......Total claim was on the order of 14k.

Good luck on your quest.

Rob

·
Administrator
25,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I live southwest of Denver - no hail, which is good because we'd probably be replacing Sherri's Solara Convertible. That hail would have shredded the ragtop and resulted in about two inches of rain falling into the passenger compartment. Likewise the roof on my house wasn't damaged.

I don't want a pure EV like the Bolt. The US simply doesn't have the fueling infrastructure in place to support the long haul driving I periodically do. With the Volt I can pull into a gas station if needed.

·
Administrator
25,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So I'm now the owner of a 2017 Volt LT with the comfort package (heated seats, steering wheel, and side mirrors). It's sitting on my driveway charging right now. I took advantage of the current GM 0% 60 month financing and added a GMEPP 5 year 100,000 mile full coverage contract so the car will be covered until it's paid off.

Between the insurance payout on my Cruze and the $12,500 ($7,500 Federal, $5,000 Colorado) the actual price on the Volt with GMEPP is about $14,300.

·
2,162 Posts
So I'm now the owner of a 2017 Volt LT with the comfort package (heated seats, steering wheel, and side mirrors). It's sitting on my driveway charging right now. I took advantage of the current GM 0% 60 month financing and added a GMEPP 5 year 100,000 mile full coverage contract so the car will be covered until it's paid off.

Between the insurance payout on my Cruze and the $12,500 ($7,500 Federal, $5,000 Colorado) the actual price on the Volt is about $13,000.
Wow that's not bad at all. Enjoy!

·
Administrator
25,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice! Enjoy the Volt, but stick around if you'd like. You and MP81 now both own one.

Are you just going to charge via 120V outlet or have a 240 wired up? How far is your commute since you switched jobs?
I'll probably get the 240v charger wired up. I already have a 20 amp 120v circuit so I'm charging on the 12 amp setting, which takes about 13 hours. The default 8 amp charge takes 19 hours (per the book). The charging cable is snaked under my garage door. My commute is 48 miles round trip - I should be able to commute with zero gasoline for most of the year. Chevy actually recommends leaving the car plugged in anytime it's parked - battery maintenance will draw from the wall charger before firing up the 1.5L gas engine.

Spaycase owns (or at least owned) a Gen 1 Volt as well.

I'll start a Fuelly account for this car but leave my ECO MT account open. It's rated for 42 MPG once the battery is depleted.

·
2,162 Posts
When you fill it with gas, are you going to use any kind of fuel stabilizer? I'd be concerned about not using enough gas that it goes bad over time. How many amps will it charge at on the 240v charger?

1 - 20 of 104 Posts