Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have spent the past year drooling over the newest miata. Then took a test drive in a wrx. I spent a lot of time planning and deciding which one I truly wanted.

My plan was finalized as, test drive the miata and the 124 abarth once it arrives on the same day and decide which I would most love.

I think this is the most adult decision ever, but I'm keeping the Cruze for a while. A number of reasons for this. First being financial. I've done some dumb moves buying cars in the past, still miss a few of the ones I've traded in buti think it's time I achieve the impossible and work towards owni a paid off car.
Second is that I like this car. It's not as fun or fast as what I looked at, but it's a good car that's fun and practical. The miata needs to be a toy or able to park for the winter. The Subaru would kill my insurance rates after however many tickets I could handle.
Third, and the breaking point for this is that I own a lil Harley sportster, and I love it, but imagine trying to log 500 miles a day on one, ouch. I'm looking into something I can take off with for the weekend and go camping or do a 3000 mile trip reliably. For this, I'm looking at the triumph tiger 800xcx/xrx bikes. I can squeeze them into my budget easily and think it's the most logical position for this guy.

So there you have it, I'll still have a wet dream over the miata, but my parking space is holding the Cruze for quite some time. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Have you ever thought of dropping all this motor sports stuff and just have a half-dozen or so women to spend money on?

You know, it might work out to be less expensive...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have. I'm too monogamous. It's not nearly as expensive as when I was bringing home 60's cars from Craigslist to restore. And the motorsports thing isn't as bad as the tools thing for work. But like I told my girlfriend, tools make me money, cars and bikes keep me out if prison. So now she's cool with all three.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Turtle just send 1 of those Long Legged French Canadian Gals My Way and Ahh I will be in Seventh Heaven !

OP Keep Dreaming and Save that money for when yer Cruzen is Paid off ..
Keep test driving to satisfy your appetite .

Good reading how your surviving the Duldrums of Insignificance !

·
Registered
132 Posts
Have you ever thought of dropping all this motor sports stuff and just have a half-dozen or so women to spend money on?

I don't see how a half dozen would be a lower cost option...heck one alone can be more expensive that a few cars... ;)

OP - You're definitely better off keeping the Cruze and adding the Miata as a toy when the time is right. Then the Miata will be like getting in a new car each time even after you've had it for several years. This practice has helped me hold on to cars much longer...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turtle just send 1 of those Long Legged French Canadian Gals My Way and Ahh I will be in Seventh Heaven !

OP Keep Dreaming and Save that money for when yer Cruzen is Paid off ..
Keep test driving to satisfy your appetite .

Good reading how your surviving the Duldrums of Insignificance !

Brian! I took a long hard look at the mustang too. They've gotten sweet! But still just not my style.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I don't see how a half dozen would be a lower cost option...heck one alone can be more expensive that a few cars...

OP - You're definitely better off keeping the Cruze and adding the Miata as a toy when the time is right. Then the Miata will be like getting in a new car each time even after you've had it for several years. This practice has helped me hold on to cars much longer...

Definitely agree there. If I had a dollar for every dog I had to turn down for my girlfriend, my miata would be paid off! Can't think of another girl on top of that.

Honestly, miata may never happen, or years from now. Gonna go test the triumph tiger this week. It'll be the nice weather, fun vehicle for a while.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
If it makes your decision any easier, the new WRX engines have needed to have their valves walnut blasted as soon as 15K because Subaru royally screwed up their implementation of direct injection.

I would never buy a Subaru turbo. They're broken more than German cars.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
What women and vehicles have in common, the more you have, the more problems you have.

Quite a difference driving the Supra and the motorhome for a change of pace, but looking out the window, the scenery is always the same.

A really big change is to start taking flying lessons, but if you feel the government took the fun out of driving, they really took the fun out of flying. Boating is still a lot of fun, something magical about man and water.

Lot of guys around here get into ATF's, not bad if you love being coated with dust, son was talking about getting into snowmobiling again, ha, with this year, would have stayed in the garage. If you have beautiful trails, cycling is great and get some exercise. German Shepherd dog really loves this.

In my life, motorcycles are history, zero protection, and way too many idiots on the road.

One great woman is enough, if you can find one.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Alcohol
Tobaco
Firearms

Wine
Women
Song

NickD and brianv sitting in a tree.

Reactions: obermd

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Alcohol
Tobaco
Firearms

Wine
Women
Song

NickD and brianv sitting in a tree.
Ha, we have about 18 wild turkeys sitting in a tree, just watched them fly down, even more fun to watch these huge birds fly up. No property taxes, protected by the law. Sleep all night, run all over the neighborhood finding food, don't ask me what, but very big fat birds.

So yes, thinking about sitting up in a tree.

Owning a plane was sure nice, just get in it and fly anywhere you want, can still do this today, no super long lines and having your body and luggage completely inspected.

Could buy a brand new engine for around 1,800 bucks, today the minimum is 30,000 bucks, same engine, just extra for liability insurance, a lot extra in the sue happy country that we didn't have before. Would cost today around 18,000 bucks per year just to own one with insurance, maintenance, and hangar fees. Aviation fuel is no long 20 cents a gallon, more like 6 bucks, whole bunch of taxes have been added.

Did I hear somebody say our country is going to hail? Can't imagine why.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Did I hear somebody say our country is going to hail? Can't imagine why.
Yes. But what are you​ doing about it?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Yes. But what are you​ doing about it?
Writing to my congressman, senator, and even Obama,but got the bad feeling they are working for somebody else.

What else can I do? Getting too old to carry a sign around.

Could use some help from the other 98% in the same boat.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Turtle ,

Have ya ever gone shopping and get in the self serve lane .
I hate those dang darn things always asking dumn arsed questions after ya do something to finish ..like do ya want cash back and do ya agree about the price .. I did not agree with the price so I left IT there and walked out ..Than some guy wants to know where I am going and I did not pay ...I tell the guy you pay that price I am going some where else ...hate those dumn machines ..

Boo ............

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Never too sure why IT keeps creeping into your messages all the time.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Puzzled andrei too .. he had to ask me about IT once upon a time and I began our collaboration ...IT ,,,thing ,, some times a tool can be an IT . Some time you are IT ....

Some days we are IT ..............

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
You would never find an attorney to sue another attorney, very strong brotherhood. Congress is also loaded with attorneys, and they are helping their brother private attorneys making a lot more money with all this suing going on.

Need an amendment to our US Constitution, no attorneys are permitted to hold office.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts