1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
How'd it work? How bad did your mpg go?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
2880lbs for anyone who doesn't want to add.

·
2,168 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
There's been a couple guys on here who have towed 3000lbs with their Cruze no problem. I think the holdens says 3000lbs in their manual.

·
2,168 Posts
There's been a couple guys on here who have towed 3000lbs with their Cruze no problem. I think the holdens says 3000lbs in their manual.
I fully believe that car is capable of doing it. But GM does NOT recommend the USA Diesel to tow.

Also I can not find anywhere online where it says the Holden Diesel can tow 3,000 lbs. I don't believe that. They may have be able to tow some amount but I speculate that's because they offer a manual transmission. There might be other subtle differences. All I know is, GM says the ECO and the Diesel USA models ARE NOT RECOMMENDED for towing. But you can just ignore that and do it anyway.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Hopefully one of the guys from overseas joins in with their diesel. I specifically recall being amazed at how high the tow rating was for the ctd.

·
2,168 Posts
Hopefully one of the guys from overseas joins in with their diesel. I specifically recall being amazed at how high the tow rating was for the ctd.
I was sort of mistaken. The Holden's towing ratings are in kg so, it means their Cruze's are rated for 1600 lbs without trailer brakes and 2600 lbs with trailer brakes. Still investigating why/how the North American models are different.

Side note: Found this thread of an a person who is unhappy the CTD isn't rated.
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-c...an-cruze-diesel-really-has-no-tow-rating.html

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I was going from memory so 2600lbs is close enough for me :)

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I know we have a different transmission, they use a gm built one and they all say they work flawlessly. However I have no problems with my aisin transmission and was actually the deciding factor in getting the ctd over a v6 honda accord. Man I'm glad I didn't go to honda, I couldn't live with myself and would probably be pushing up daisies by now.

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
I plan on towing with my cruze. not a big trailer just one small enough to carry my cbr1000 and a second bike with a front toolbox. ill install a trailer brake and re enforce the trailer to make it stronger but not be crazy heavy. i wish GM would have maned up and released a real towing rating for the CTD. look i get its made for fuel economy but it is the strongest cruze in the whole line up ; further more it is heavier and has bigger brakes. why is it official numbers get released for the lil 1.4 but not the 2.0 diesel.

·
2,168 Posts
If you really want a vehicle that is towing capable, I think I found it.

Reactions: money_man

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
More often than not capacity is determined by the actual weight of the towing vehicle (to avoid the tail wagging the dog) and braking capability.

And in the U.S., a healthy regard for the potential of creating liability lawsuits.

In most cases, the driveline is capable of actually pulling rather high loads......but that has little to do with the overall picture.

Rob

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Superyan, where are you located?

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
if i have a way of monitoring the vehicle vitals like tranny temps, engine oil pressures then i would have no isse towing with my CTD but until i have a means then im not doing so.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Won't the tq app do that?

·
2,168 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
Ultra-gauge or Scan Gauge II could help you with monitoring the car's vitals. Though I'm not sure if there are sensors in the car for things like oil pressure.

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

ScanGaugeII : Linear Logic - Home of the ScanGauge
i was thinking of this one http://www.amazon.com/Edge-Products...=1&vehicleType=automotive&tag=viglink20709-20

but its quite more then the scan everyone else uses. but i really like having trans pressure, oil pressure and boost on one window

1 - 20 of 59 Posts