Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Tow trailer with my Cruze Diesel

17K views 58 replies 14 participants last post by  KpaxFAQ 
#1 ·
Hi guys!

I try to tow trailer with my cruze and i said WOW!!
I
I have 44 box at 45 pounds each box and 900 pounds for the trailer!

Perfect car for tow trailer !

Yan

Snow Vehicle Car Winter Trailer
Cardboard Transport Plywood

See less See more
#5 ·
#7 ·
I fully believe that car is capable of doing it. But GM does NOT recommend the USA Diesel to tow.

Also I can not find anywhere online where it says the Holden Diesel can tow 3,000 lbs. I don't believe that. They may have be able to tow some amount but I speculate that's because they offer a manual transmission. There might be other subtle differences. All I know is, GM says the ECO and the Diesel USA models ARE NOT RECOMMENDED for towing. But you can just ignore that and do it anyway.

#9 ·
#11 ·
I know we have a different transmission, they use a gm built one and they all say they work flawlessly. However I have no problems with my aisin transmission and was actually the deciding factor in getting the ctd over a v6 honda accord. Man I'm glad I didn't go to honda, I couldn't live with myself and would probably be pushing up daisies by now.

#13 ·
I plan on towing with my cruze. not a big trailer just one small enough to carry my cbr1000 and a second bike with a front toolbox. ill install a trailer brake and re enforce the trailer to make it stronger but not be crazy heavy. i wish GM would have maned up and released a real towing rating for the CTD. look i get its made for fuel economy but it is the strongest cruze in the whole line up ; further more it is heavier and has bigger brakes. why is it official numbers get released for the lil 1.4 but not the 2.0 diesel.

#14 ·
If you really want a vehicle that is towing capable, I think I found it.

#15 ·
More often than not capacity is determined by the actual weight of the towing vehicle (to avoid the tail wagging the dog) and braking capability.

And in the U.S., a healthy regard for the potential of creating liability lawsuits.

In most cases, the driveline is capable of actually pulling rather high loads......but that has little to do with the overall picture.

Rob

#16 ·
Superyan, where are you located?

#17 ·
if i have a way of monitoring the vehicle vitals like tranny temps, engine oil pressures then i would have no isse towing with my CTD but until i have a means then im not doing so.

#19 ·
#24 ·
Geezus, according to my Scangauge the Aisin trans runs at a hot temp already (usually around 200) and you guys want to drag a ton of crap around on a trailer. Yur nuts. At least put a cooler on it. Has anyone done this?

#25 ·
I'd also like to point out again, the North American Diesel Cruze (And ECO), are NOT recommended to tow anything. But you can still choose to disregard their recommendations and do it anyway.
Text Font Document

#28 ·
I have a Holden Cruze and the petrol Cruze also has a 1200kg tow rating for a trailer with brakes, but is rated at 100kg less for a trailer without brakes at 650kg. It doesn't give any difference between manual or auto, it just says you must use a Holden hitch or similar.

View attachment 180505

#29 ·
I tow under 2000lbs a few times a month. It tows great. The hitch and 5x8 utility trailer have already paid for themselves in a year.

I've moved all kinds of construction equipment and other types of loads for years at work so I'm not an amateur when it comes to loading/driving the trailer properly. I can see the viewpoint of the worry warts but with some experience and common sense tow away!

It sure is nice to be able to hook up to my trailer in 30 seconds and go pickup a new fridge, furniture, etc. All the benefits of what 97% of people use pickups for without the high cost and fuel penalty for everyday driving. This is what the USA automakers don't want people doing. You NEED a truck or SUV to do anything right?

#31 ·
I believe we have the correct answer here. Likely the same reason they won't bring over the Ute. If we could get a car with a pick-up bed, we would stop buying $50,000 trucks.

#32 ·
It would be interesting to figure out GM's reasoning for the towing prohibition on the ECO and CTD, particularly on the CTD.

Just thinking aloud here: the CTD has the strongest drivetrain, has the most capable braking hardware, and the same rear springs (or maybe heavier duty?) as the standard Cruze.

The only thing I can think of on the ECO and CTD that may disqualify those models from towing could be the Goodyear Assurance-FuelMax low-rolling-resistance tires. Are those exclusive to the ECO and CTD, and do we know if they have a lower load rating than the standard Cruze tire options?

#36 ·
Not sure the reason for the diesel, but I heard the eco has thinner welds to save weight, not sure if that's true or not.

#33 ·
it may also be due to gearing. im also thinking if there is a real mechanical reason it may be gearing.. lower final drive gear to help keep rpm lower at cruze speeds may overwork the trans in trying to get up to speed vs having higher diff gear for acceleration and power vs speed and fuel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.