Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone has used the Cruze to tow half a yard of dirt or gravel. I am digging a french drain and really don't want to pay the delivery fees - the gravel place is about one mile from my house. Any experience?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
A quick Google says one cubic yard of gravel is 3,000 lbs. A quick look at the owners manual says the trailer limit is 1,000 lbs.

I'd suggest renting a pickup.

Reactions: spacedout

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
When In high school I worked at a lumber/hardware/landscaping place, could not believe all the people who think their Minivan/car is a truck! Could you pull a trailer a few miles? sure but I would worry even in the short distance about overheating the car/trans since its about 3X what the car is rated to tow.

My suggestion is call a friend with a truck, someone has to have one. I always rely on both my brothers when I need to haul anything, they still think they need a 5.3L v8 to haul just themselves around everyday.

·
2,170 Posts
Home depot rents pick-ups pretty cheap. I wouldn't recommend exceeding the towing rating for the Cruze. The most I've towed was a few bags of garbage on a 200 lb trailer and the Cruze definitely noticed it was there.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Home depot rents pick-ups pretty cheap.
I'm seeing $19 for 75 minutes. I don't think you can even put a hitch on your Cruze for that price. And it's far cheaper then fixing any damage it might cause.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If that 3,000 lb. figure is roughly accurate, I'd say "no" strictly based on how far that exceeds its ratings. If it truly is a mile I doubt you'll hurt the drivetrain, but the pure weight you're talking about putting on your car's hitch, frame, suspension, etc. is asking for instant damage.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
If that 3,000 lb. figure is roughly accurate,
He's only looking for half, so I assume about 1500 lbs. But that's still 50% over what the manual says you can safely pull.

Seems like risking dollars to save pennies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tow a 5X8 trailer with a lawn tractor or a 950 lb Kawasaki with mine.
My wife hauled a 5 X 10 U Haul full of furniture to CT from FL with it also

·
Registered
215 Posts
He's only looking for half, so I assume about 1500 lbs. But that's still 50% over what the manual says you can safely pull.

Seems like risking dollars to save pennies.
Oops, my bad for not reading closely enough. Agreed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.