Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Towing trailer of gravel?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Alex V. 
#1 ·
I'm curious if anyone has used the Cruze to tow half a yard of dirt or gravel. I am digging a french drain and really don't want to pay the delivery fees - the gravel place is about one mile from my house. Any experience?

#5 ·
When In high school I worked at a lumber/hardware/landscaping place, could not believe all the people who think their Minivan/car is a truck! Could you pull a trailer a few miles? sure but I would worry even in the short distance about overheating the car/trans since its about 3X what the car is rated to tow.

My suggestion is call a friend with a truck, someone has to have one. I always rely on both my brothers when I need to haul anything, they still think they need a 5.3L v8 to haul just themselves around everyday.

#6 ·
Home depot rents pick-ups pretty cheap. I wouldn't recommend exceeding the towing rating for the Cruze. The most I've towed was a few bags of garbage on a 200 lb trailer and the Cruze definitely noticed it was there.

#8 ·
If that 3,000 lb. figure is roughly accurate, I'd say "no" strictly based on how far that exceeds its ratings. If it truly is a mile I doubt you'll hurt the drivetrain, but the pure weight you're talking about putting on your car's hitch, frame, suspension, etc. is asking for instant damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.