Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so going some searching i have found that the general conciseness is 1,000 lbs trailer including the trailer for the eco and 1.4 gasers. now we have way more torque, a stronger 6 speed, bigger front and rear brakes, we are heavier thus more stable. i could see the diesel towing maybe 1,500lbs easily and use manual shift. in all honesty i don't see towing 1,000 lbs but it would be nice to be able to. i would tow a small aluminum trailer so i can keep my camping gear in the rear along with my hunting stuff. also my dads gold wing has a small bean looking sleeping trailer that fits 2, this would be great for lords town meeting lol

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,196 Posts
Not sure I'd try to tow much more than 1000 anyway - small car with a unibody chassis = classic "tail wagging the dog" if the trailer becomes unstable.

Yeah, the transmission and engine could probably handle it though.

·
2,168 Posts
Adding a friction anti-sway bar to a trailer is an excellent way to control trailer drift, even on small trailers and especially when towing with a car.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YAH I HAVE THIS INSTALLED ON MY 18 FOOT CAMPER I TOW WITH MY JEEP ZJ AND ITS A HUGE HELP.
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Pro-Series/PS49903.html
I HAVE LOTS OF EXPERIENCE DRIVING 18 WHEELS AND TRAILERS SO I CAN KEEP THE CRUZE WITH A HEAVY TRAILER IN LINE JUST FINE, PLUS DRIVING SLOW IS GOOD FOR MPG AND STABILITY,PLUS COMMON SENSE IN LOAD DISTRIBUTION. I THINK WITH THE POWER TRAIN AND SLUSH BOX BEHIND, IT SHOULD BE OK

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol sorry, here at work at Chevy CDK the service system only accepts upper case

Reactions: sparkman

·
Registered
747 Posts
I really don't know the limitations of the chasis or the transmission (cooling capacity, etc), but just for reference, my 2009 Subaru Outback is rated to tow 2,700 lbs. with trailer brakes and 1,000 lbs. without trailer brakes. This is the same rating for all 4-cyl Outbacks MY's 2006-2012 (all same engine, but 4-speed 2006-2009 and CVT 2010-2012).

For comparison:

Horsepower: Outback - 170 CTD - 151
Torque: Outback - 170 CTD - 264
Trans: Outback - (2006-2009) 4-sp auto or 5-sp manual (2010-2012) CVT auto or 6-sp manual CTD - 6-speed auto
Curb weight: Outback - 3,350-3,550 depending on year/configuration CTD - 3,471

(To note, if pulling with the CVT transmission, Subaru recommends changing tranny oil at 25,000 mile intervals)

In other words, weight and power wise, the CTD is just as capable if not moreso for pulling than the Outback, so if you had the proper equipment (mostly brakes and anti-sway), the CTD could probably pull a lot more than 1,000 lbs assuming the chasis and transmission cooling can handle it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would especially worry about tranny cooling. My ctd tranny runs at 225 without towing anything {empty]. If my duramax ran that warm towing nothing I would think something was wrong. Maybe we need a larger tranny cooler.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I would especially worry about tranny cooling. My ctd tranny runs at 225 without towing anything {empty]. If my duramax ran that warm towing nothing I would think something was wrong. Maybe we need a larger tranny cooler.
My 1.4T automatic rarely ever goes above 180-190F transmission temperature. Can take 30 miles or more of driving just to get that hot.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Daughter was questioning about pulling a trailer with her little 2015 2850 pound Kia Soul with a non-blown 1.6L engine. Rated at 2,000 pound maximum trailer weight and 200 pound tongue load.

Bit surprise to learn this. Also can buy a bolt on hitch.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Ive towed 2000lbs with my diesel multiple times. Its a breeze and like you OP I operate heavy equipment and have moved said equipment for years so maybe it's not for everyone but if you have common sense and experience no big deal at all.

with amsoil in my tranny I don't worry about much, i have no plans to pull things up mountains for miles anytime soon

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
That chincy bar graph honestly means jack squat to me. Every single transmission is different. This transmission isn't grandpa's 4 speed auto in 1985, neither are the lubricants being used. The transmission temp should most likely match engine coolant temp under normal loads. Also every single modern auto runs over 200 degrees, I guess they ought to be failing left and right according to the chart.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I think the diesels have a dedicated transmission cooler. If that's true, they'll keep relatively cool under normal use but if you're going to tow with it, buy a quality fluid and change it every 45k miles.

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,196 Posts
I think the diesels have a dedicated transmission cooler. If that's true, they'll keep relatively cool under normal use but if you're going to tow with it, buy a quality fluid and change it every 45k miles.
All auto Cruzen have one.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe we have a in radiator oil to water cooler but i don't think we have a oil to air cooler after the radiator cooler. I would really like to add one in so that i can keep temps as low as possible. Also here in Florida its flat so not all that much stress

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
The transmission temp should most likely match engine coolant temp under normal loads. Also every single modern auto runs over 200 degrees, I guess they ought to be failing left and right according to the chart.
My duramax diesel trans runs 175F all day long, my 2004 cavalier only ever seen about 175-180F also. This is the exact same as the cruze 1.4T auto, my guess because GM used a trans not designed by them in the diesel its runs hotter. I've never seen any transmission temperatures match the coolant temperatures, typically they all run cooler.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would not mind letting u hail install my class 1 hitch for me and wire it up for trailer brakes but im worried that they will half you know what the job.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
My duramax diesel trans runs 175F all day long, my 2004 cavalier only ever seen about 175-180F also. This is the exact same as the cruze 1.4T auto, my guess because GM used a trans not designed by them in the diesel its runs hotter. I've never seen any transmission temperatures match the coolant temperatures, typically they all run cooler.
cool no experience with those vehicles my results have been different. Vw tdis with the dsg run hotter than coolant actually. Usually 200 to as high as 235 in city driving.

mazda 3 runs 220-230

it does seem most trucks run cooler, probably to give a window for it to rise under heavy duty demand

but then I find ecoboost fords run 195 to 205 tranny temps under normal use

1 - 20 of 32 Posts