Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought some brand new take off Sonic wheels with TPMS sensors for my 2016.5 Cruze. Mounted tires on them a month or so ago, but they’ve sat since I have been driving my old car in the winter. I installed the new wheels and tires yesterday and have been trying to reprogram the TPMS sensors since with no luck.

I’m using a cheap eBay EL-50448 reset tool. This has worked before when rotating the tires, but no luck with the Sonic TPMS sensors. I assume they are compatible since they use the same part number TPMS sensor. I put the car in relearn mode and I’ve tried every wheel in case one of the sensors was bad but nothing happens when I put the sensor to the tire and push the button.

I first figured the problem was they sat and went to sleep to save the battery, but I drove the car 70 miles today and still no luck.

Any thoughts? Only thing that I can think of to try is draining the air out of the tires and reinflating. Not sure if that would have any effect on the sensor but I’m not sure what else I can try.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
How do you know they use the same sensor? Have you checked the part numbers physically installed in both wheel sets?

The gen2 Cruzes have used two different frequency TPMS. There's no garauntee Sonic wheels will work unless you verify what sensors are in both sets.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
As stated above there are 2 different TPMS sensors that were used on the Cruze for your year.
There is a 315Mhz and a 433 Mhz sensor.
The wrong frequency will not work. It sounds like you likely have the wrong sensors.

I have the same programmer as you and it works great on my 2014 Cruze (315Mhz) and my 2018 Cruze (433Mhz) TPMS sensors.
The deflate method will no longer work to program your sensors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did not physically verify the sensors. I checked on rock auto that they use the same replacement sensor (does that have both frequencies??) and I read on here that people used Sonic wheels with the TPMS and it worked.

So I must have different frequencies. Anything else I can try? Might letting the air out then re inflating do anything?

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
If the frequency is wrong the only thing you can do is replace the sensors with ones that have the correct frequency.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
The GM parts catalog lists both for 2016 and 433 for 2017.
My 2016 was made in May 2016 and has 433. I assume the earlier 2016 production had 315.

Sounds like either the transmitter batteries are dead or the transmitters are the wrong frequency.

Go to https://www.gmoutletparts.com/ or similar and look them up.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Look in the trunk, on the passenger side of the spare tire well. Find the silver and black label with your VIN and a while mess of 3 digit alphanumeric codes on it.

Scroll down to "X", you're looking for XL7 or XL8. XL7=315mhz. XL8 = 433mhz

Use this to determine what sensors your car has, compare to what's in Sonic wheels. Sonic's can have either freq depending on year.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I may be wrong but I think they need to be programmed into computer to work. The basic tool may only activate sensor to change location on car after a tire rotation for sensors already programmed to car.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I may be wrong but I think they need to be programmed into computer to work. The basic tool may only activate sensor to change location on car after a tire rotation for sensors already programmed to car.
Same procedure, regardless of whether sensor is original, takeoff, new or used.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help everyone, especially Maven. It looks like I must have the wrong frequency. I’ll run them the rest of this winter then get the correct ones in there for next winter.

I got to try out the Cruze with the new snow tires on Tuesday. It’s much better in the snow than my 06 Cobalt was.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone, especially Maven. It looks like I must have the wrong frequency. I’ll run them the rest of this winter then get the correct ones in there for next winter.

I got to try out the Cruze with the new snow tires on Tuesday. It’s much better in the snow than my 06 Cobalt was.
No problem. I'd agree, I feel my hatch is better in snow than all my 'Balts were. I'm sure it has some to do with wider track width in particular, and wheel spacing in general while shorter overall.

My Redline HB also handles better stock than any level Balt except the Turbo SS's

·
Registered
13 Posts
Small Issue, more of an annoyance than anything. I had my tires changed at a corner tire shop and it seemed like they did a good job. until 3 months down the road my car says I have 27psi in my RF tire. So naturally I stop by a gas station and add air to the RF. I get back in and drive around the parking lot before I realize that the pressure went up over 50psi for the LF tire. Not yet realizing what happened, I release air from my LF tire which in turn creates an error in my RR tire now. wtf. I was praying that the 4th tire was in the right place, because if it wasn't, well let's just say, they only worked on 3 tires that day. Anyways, how to I relearn then without the dealership or buying a tool? Can you train then without the tool or because they were installed in the wrong positions the dealership has to reprogram them? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All you need is the tool referenced in my original post. Just search for EL-50448, they’re $9 on Amazon as well as eBay right now.

To use it you put the car in tire sensor learning mode by going to the tire pressure display screen and holding OK. The horn will honk a couple times and the left front turn signal will light indicating it’s learning the left front tire. Go to the left front, point your tool at the stem and hold the button until the horn honks. The honk indicates that it learned that tire, then the right front signal will light. Do the same for right front then right rear and left rear and you’re done.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is all very interesting. I see various versions of EL-50448 for sale at different prices. Is there anything specific to watch out for?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
This is all very interesting. I see various versions of EL-50448 for sale at different prices. Is there anything specific to watch out for?
A full-fledged unit will handle a vast array of cars, and cost a vast sum of money :)

Most of the cheap ones are stripped down to support only one or a few car brands or models. So make sure whatever you buy covers your car(s).

I got one for around $20 shipped, and it does my two Cruzes, my 2013 Impala, and my 2013 Ford Escape.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
830 Posts
A full-fledged unit will handle a vast array of cars, and cost a vast sum of money :)

Most of the cheap ones are stripped down to support only one or a few car brands or models. So make sure whatever you buy covers your car(s).

I got one for around $20 shipped, and it does my two Cruzes, my 2013 Impala, and my 2013 Ford Escape.

HTH.

Doug

I got mine from Tire Rack for $45 I think. Works mint. Now when I swap to winter wheels and back I can do the relearn myself

Reactions: plano-doug

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks. It is certainly not an expensive purchase, but do you use it all that much. I guess at such a low price (approximately $20 Canadian) it is a worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I only bought one because I bought a set of wheels with summer tires and be TPMS sensors. That way I can just swap wheel and tire sets myself. So it'll only get used twice a year. But after two times not going to a shop to get them relearned it'll pay for itself

Reactions: plano-doug

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Thanks. It is certainly not an expensive purchase, but do you use it all that much?
Probably twice a year. (I keep up five cars including my kids'.) Seems like tire stores always neglect re-syncing the TPMS. 5 minutes in my driveway is much more favorable than a trip back to the tire store.

Plus, I will occasionally rotate tires in my driveway, if I see undesirable wear. The re-sync tool means I don't have to remember that the left rear is now on the RF.

Doug

1 - 20 of 20 Posts