Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
13miles and i dont know how much they put in the tank exactly. how to i start? Im guessing i have to wait untill i fill up once myself?

·
Registered
129 Posts
i started mine at 72 miles, i just topped it off and started it there.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...we keep a "log-book" in each car specifically for recording: DATE, GALLONS, MILES (tank-to-tank), TOTAL MILES (odometer), FUEL COST, OLM (%-remaining), AVG MPG (from DIC) and GALS-used (from DIC).

...by comparing the AVG MPG and GALS-used values from the DIC against the 'actual' MPG = MILES / GALS, it's easy to see (by graphing) that the GM Cruze electronics is almost always 4-5% too optimistic, ie: displaying an AVG MPG value that's higher than actuality.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
...by comparing the AVG MPG and GALS-used values from the DIC against the 'actual' MPG = MILES / GALS, it's easy to see (by graphing) that the GM Cruze electronics is almost always 4-5% too optimistic, ie: displaying an AVG MPG value that's higher than actuality.
To piggyback off this, how inaccurate the DIC has a lot to do with your driving habits.. the more you floor it when merging the more inaccurate it seems to be. It undercuts the fuel used in heavy throttle. I've had tanks 10-15% optimistic, and tanks remarkably spot on. Over longer highway trips it seems more accurate, especially if your a cruise control addict like me.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
To piggyback off this, how inaccurate the DIC has a lot to do with your driving habits.. the more you floor it when merging the more inaccurate it seems to be. It undercuts the fuel used in heavy throttle. I've had tanks 10-15% optimistic, and tanks remarkably spot on. Over longer highway trips it seems more accurate, especially if your a cruise control addict like me.
...hm-m-m-m-m, hadn't thought of that aspect, but since I have data from day-one, I'm going to go back and see if we too have a similar correlation, ie: more poor accuracy during predominately 'city/urban' driving and better accuracy during predominately 'highway' driving (where cruise-control gets used religiously).

ADDENDUM -- checked thru all our 39 fill-ups and there was NO correlation between accuracy/in-accuracy and city/urban vs. highway with cc on driving. However, I did notice that four (of five) fill-ups where the DIC GALS exceeded the gas-pump GALS all occurred during trips either "to" Yuma, AZ, or from Yuma "back" to Tucson! And, those same four fill-ups also produced our four highest MPG values (31.2, 32.6, 32.7 and 34.4 MPG)! Hm-m-m-m.

·
Registered
904 Posts
If you are keeping a record on Fuelly, then that first tank isn't going to count because that fill up hasn't been recorded. The records will start with the first fill up that you do, and continue from there. Note that the first fill up won't give you a MPG rating because there isn't a previous record to compare to. It will be the second fill up that you do that will start giving MPG on Fuelly.

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
I think my first fill-up was 0.14 gallons...I filled up on the way home from the dealership on a "Full" tank, just to get fuelly started off. Probably the cheapest fill-up I'll ever see!

·
Banned
355 Posts
So do I have the worst fuel economy out of everyone so far? Or does it get better after the first tank? :( The dealer did put in 87 octane and had the tires at 31 psi, now it is 93 and 40. 2012 1.4t LTZ RS A/T stock, intake resonator removed.
g

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
Should get better. I have the same car, only no mods in the engine bay yet. Had mine since August. My driving habits and commute route are getting me just shy of 36mpg average and it is still
creeping up. I just turned 10K miles last week. I have been using Shell 93 exclusively for about the past 4 months or so, full synthetic oil, tires at about 32psi cold this morning according to the DIC.
I plan on increasing my tire pressure up to about 37-38psi this week. I'm trying to hit 40mpg stock before I install the K&N SRI and/or Trifecta. When I parked this morning, the DIC was estimating 41.9MPG.
I have an appointment in downtown Greensboro today, so that will take it down a tick or two once I hit the downtown traffic, then will probably have to fill up tomorrow.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Well I think it will get better because it seems to be getting great economy other than the the DIC display which says 28 average and I can't seem to get any better than mid 30s instantaneous cruizing lightly on the highway. This is all consistent with many saying it's 4-5% optimistic on the display. I think the fuelly is going to be very accurate over time if properly used. That's why I am a little jealous of you guys, I want to see low 30s average if not better eventually. Mine is fully loaded in hot humid climate though, I will try to datalog today to look at IATs, timing, boost, octane scalar, kr, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...a simple log-book, pencil and calculator will yield the same results.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Well I think it will get better because it seems to be getting great economy other than the the DIC display which says 28 average and I can't seem to get any better than mid 30s instantaneous cruizing lightly on the highway. This is all consistent with many saying it's 4-5% optimistic on the display. I think the fuelly is going to be very accurate over time if properly used. That's why I am a little jealous of you guys, I want to see low 30s average if not better eventually. Mine is fully loaded in hot humid climate though, I will try to datalog today to look at IATs, timing, boost, octane scalar, kr, etc.
Cruise control, premium fuel, 65 mph and under, and a 10,000 mile break-in will do wonders.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Well on my last 1/2 tank I averaged 31.5 mpg! That brings my average up, see sig :)
I had to top of with Chevron 93 because Mobil 93 was pingning HORRIBLY :s... starting a new thread about that.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
So do I have the worst fuel economy out of everyone so far? Or does it get better after the first tank? :( The dealer did put in 87 octane and had the tires at 31 psi, now it is 93 and 40. 2012 1.4t LTZ RS A/T stock, intake resonator removed.
g

Boost,
If you feel that you are having issues with your vehicle I would suggest that you contact your dealership. If you need tips on how to get better fuel economy I would suggest that you look in your owner's manual on page 1-21. Also I know there are other threads on this forum that have to do with fuel economy and how to get the best fuel economy possible. If you have any further questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Banned
355 Posts
Thanks Stacy I worked at the dealer for 7 years as a Chevy Master tech so I will be ok if I need some peeling trim changed I will stop in :) Economy is much better now that I am using tire pressure and octane not recommended. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts