Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Cruze for 2weeks now and I noticed its kind of slow I read somewhere that its probably the traction control so I was wondering if it would be ok to drive with the traction control off in dry conditions? I know its not a race car but my previous car had less power but had way more pick up then the Cruze. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,601 Posts
1) What model?
2) What transmission?
3) Use higher octane gas. 87 in a Cruze = not happy Cruze.
4) Re-gap your spark plugs to .035"
5) Try turning the traction control off, but I seriously doubt it's activating. I've made mine activate all of once. It only affects take-off when you floor it from a stop, which isn't really the Cruze's strength anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) What model?
2) What transmission?
3) Use higher octane gas. 87 in a Cruze = not happy Cruze.
4) Re-gap your spark plugs to .035"
5) Try turning the traction control off, but I seriously doubt it's activating. I've made mine activate all of once. It only affects take-off when you floor it from a stop, which isn't really the Cruze's strength anyway.
2012 LS, Auto trans. I use 87 ill change it and see how that goes.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
I drive with it off all the time. It seems like the car works better around town when it's off (less lag off the line). But Vince told me it's all in my head.

·
17,601 Posts
I drive with it off all the time. It seems like the car works better around town when it's off (less lag off the line). But Vince told me it's all in my head.
In a manual, indeed it is. I can screech my tires before it kicks in on a manual. There's plenty of acceleration there on the 1.4T from a stop.

The 1.8 is a different story between 2500-5000 RPM. After that, it's got a nice high-range power output, but it's weak in between. OP, you might want to look into the Trifecta tune as well. The Cruze is a heavy car with a not-very-powerful engine. Older cars with less power under the hood might feel a little quicker than the 1.8 because of their probably lighter curb weight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In a manual, indeed it is. I can screech my tires before it kicks in on a manual. There's plenty of acceleration there on the 1.4T from a stop.

The 1.8 is a different story between 2500-5000 RPM. After that, it's got a nice high-range power output, but it's weak in between. OP, you might want to look into the Trifecta tune as well. The Cruze is a heavy car with a not-very-powerful engine. Older cars with less power under the hood might feel a little quicker than the 1.8 because of their probably lighter curb weight.
Yeah after I get going its fine but when I start from a stop its just way too sluggish. I look into the Trifecta tune ill try everything i just want a little more power on take off

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
The 16in firestone FR710 on my 1LT turn over very easily on dry pavement, so much so I was worried how bad they would be in the snow.

Can't wait to get some new tires, bet these factory ones don't last much past 30,000miles.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
The owner's manual warns against turning traction control and stabilitrac off for extended periods as it may cause problems with the transmission. Leave it on unless you have a specific need to turn it off.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The owner's manual warns against turning traction control and stabilitrac off for extended periods as it may cause problems with the transmission. Leave it on unless you have a specific need to turn it off.
So that means maybe it does perform better?

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide App

·
17,601 Posts
Not really. Not unless youre actually scrabbling for traction. They just suggest that because the traction control will help prevent wheel hop that happens when a FWD car is driven like a moron that can damage the transmission.

Too much wheelspin on pavement for a car not built to handle it can break input shafts to the transmission, as well as axles and sometimes differentials.

Don't drive like a teenager with a Honda and dump the clutch at 4000 RPM and you'll be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I've heard it before, my buddies Colorado is a total dog normaly, but with the traction control and stabili trac off it definitely wakes it up. I figured it might be the same with either manual or auto trans. I don't see it being out of the realm to laugh your a** off at.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
The 16in firestone FR710 on my 1LT turn over very easily on dry pavement, so much so I was worried how bad they would be in the snow.

Can't wait to get some new tires, bet these factory ones don't last much past 30,000miles.
Penguin LS has the same crappy tires. I suspect the ones on Penguin LS won't last 20K miles. Tire manufacturers really need to stand up to the car manufacturers and refuse to put crappy tires on the cars as OEM tires. Doing so turns people off to that particular tire brand.

·
17,601 Posts
Penguin LS has the same crappy tires. I suspect the ones on Penguin LS won't last 20K miles. Tire manufacturers really need to stand up to the car manufacturers and refuse to put crappy tires on the cars as OEM tires. Doing so turns people off to that particular tire brand.
Cough BRIDGESTONE cough. Driven on 3 OEM sets. All awful.

The Firestones aren't completely terrible for a passenger car tire. But they're not great. They belong on a Taurus or something.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Not really. Not unless youre actually scrabbling for traction. They just suggest that because the traction control will help prevent wheel hop that happens when a FWD car is driven like a moron that can damage the transmission.

Too much wheelspin on pavement for a car not built to handle it can break input shafts to the transmission, as well as axles and sometimes differentials.

Don't drive like a teenager with a Honda and dump the clutch at 4000 RPM and you'll be just fine.

That's true, I forgot about abusing the car on high traction surfaces with it off. Probably because I am out of that phase and never do it :p

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Keep it on. It makes no difference in how the car operates normally. The only time it needs to go off is when wheelspin is wanted, such as rocking the car out of a snowbank or getting up a snowy hill.

My Eco MT has zero issue spinning both front wheels through 1st and into 2nd. Even with traction control on. Some grippier rubber would make it stop that.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
I've had my Cruze for 2weeks now and I noticed its kind of slow I read somewhere that its probably the traction control so I was wondering if it would be ok to drive with the traction control off in dry conditions? I know its not a race car but my previous car had less power but had way more pick up then the Cruze. Any suggestions?
It's more likely the little tiny engine and no torque than TCS. Have to get the revs up with either engine before it will get going. If the tires aren't spinning TCS is not doing anything.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Where does it say this?

Notice: Do not repeatedly brake or accelerate heavily when TCS is off. The Vehicle's driveline could be damaged.
I'm reading this as don't do burn outs because the driveline may be lame and break. Other than that I see no reason it would harm the driveline.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
At least with my Eco, it will lay parallel lines on a very hard launch. The only time it does a 1-wheel wonder is when flooring it in a low gear while turning sharply on a wet road. Keeping the wheels straight ahead gets fairly equal torque to both of them. It's not surprising, since this drivetrain was designed to minimize torque steer mechanically with the traction control as a backup.

Doing repeated hard acceleration runs is harder on the AT than the MT. With the MT it's the clutch and synchros taking the abuse, while with the AT it's the shift solenoids and other delicate electronic bits getting hotted up. Those electronics don't like being warm, while the mechanical bits in the MT could care less about the temperature (up to a very high point). If one's planning on doing sustained high-speed runs across the desert or western mountains, or even a lot of drag racing with the AT Cruze, an auxiliary transmission cooler would be a wise investment. Lower transmission temperatures = happier electronics = longer transmission life.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts