Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well about a week ago I finally gave up on my 2011 1.8 M6 Cruze. I hit 155,000KM and it now leaks oil out the bottom, out the valve cover and blows smoke when I floor it to pass. So with that on top of the mystery issues (clicking from transmission when under load, jumping gauges and more) and 5000km left of power-train warranty left I lost all faith that the car could make it to 300,000KM (186K miles) without costing me thousands and thousands of dollars in out of warranty repairs.

Just opening up the engine to the surgery required to fix what looks to be a rear main seal leak at only 96K miles just did not sound appealing. Plus, check out my history of issues/repairs in this car and I think you will see where I am coming from.

So I think I have learned my lesson, never again am I going to buy one of the first cars produced for a new model. So with that said I am trading in the Cruze tomorrow for a 2015 Volt which has been out for about 4 years now with no major issues and above average reliability. Plus I can more or less forget about buying gas from now on.

·
Administrator
25,120 Posts
I fully understand your frustrations. I think you'll enjoy the Volt. Please come back and give us a review of the Volt.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Sad that issues like yours happen. Hopefully the Volt will be a great ride. Please come back and give us a review. There was a used one at a friends dealership that he works at and he was considering trading in his Cruze for the Volt.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fully understand your frustrations. I think you'll enjoy the Volt. Please come back and give us a review of the Volt.
Thanks and will do!

On a side note, does anyone in Ontario want to buy a set of 18" RTX Turbine rims and almost new tires (5000KM on them total)? Paid about $1500, looking for $1000. I will probably make a post in the buy and sell section of the forum once they are off and available.

IMG_1031.JPG

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
End of body style Volt is definitely the way to go. If only I had the garage space...

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
First year always scare me and you're a perfect reason why. Nice to see you're buying a volt and not screaming "I'll never buy another GM product!"

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
Dang Darn Ding .. what took ya so long traded me 2011 LS Months ago . only I like tò go faster . bought a 2015 Race Red Mustang Ecoboost ..

That is the exact phrase I used on the GM sevice manager the last time I seen him as they were matching up the TPMS sensors for the forth time after an oil change and wheel rotation ..Dang GM .

·
Epic Beard Man
5,414 Posts
End of body style Volt is definitely the way to go. If only I had the garage space...
Eh, what's another addition to the garage?

·
Administrator
25,120 Posts
At least you couldn't get a speeding ticket in one of those either :)
On my one test drive of a 2012 Volt I had it at 70 MPH and it felt like it still had a lot to give me.

·
Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,233 Posts
^ ^ What obermd said ^ ^ ... and good luck! :)

A lot can change in 24 months but, at this point in time, I'm seriously considering a 2nd-gen 2018 Volt when I trade in my 2014 Cruze RS in September 2017. Then again, if Chevrolet introduces a killer hatchback version of the new Cruze in the mould of the all-new Opel Astra 5-door, then I may go with it. Either way, I believe I'll be staying in the GM family which is quite a turn around for a guy who has owned and/or raced 50+ different British and European automobiles during the years.

All-New 2016 Volt: Electric Hybrid Car | Chevrolet
The new Opel Astra 5-Door Liftback | Opel Germany

click image to open in new window for wallpaper

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Hope the volt works well for you. Would be nice if I could have about a four car garage, volt for short trips, truck to haul stuff and all that, something fuel efficient for long trips, then maybe a corvette convertible for just fun and power and a good sun burn. Oh I better wake up from the American Dream .

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
A Volt in Toronto? Spent a lot of time of there, gets cold and batteries don't like that, does have some heaters, but they take a ton of BTU's.

Shouldn't be bad in California, also spent a lot of time there, should think about moving.

Rear main bearing seal in the Cruze is a tad better than the rope seal GM used for over 30 years. Only about a two buck part, but the labor if you have to pay for it can kill you. Did have darn good luck with Lucas seal restoring problems when that odometer clock gets high.

92 DeVille had a front seal leak, easy job, but put a bit of Lucas in with the oil, never leaked since then. Same with my 454 rear seal, they get old and dry up.

Getting a 100k miles for a $20K car isn't bad, that's about 20 cents per mile. Are they going to give you a couple of bucks for your Cruze? Ha, know a lot of people paying over a buck a mile in depreciation.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A Volt in Toronto? Spent a lot of time of there, gets cold and batteries don't like that, does have some heaters, but they take a ton of BTU's.

Shouldn't be bad in California, also spent a lot of time there, should think about moving.

Rear main bearing seal in the Cruze is a tad better than the rope seal GM used for over 30 years. Only about a two buck part, but the labor if you have to pay for it can kill you. Did have darn good luck with Lucas seal restoring problems when that odometer clock gets high.

92 DeVille had a front seal leak, easy job, but put a bit of Lucas in with the oil, never leaked since then. Same with my 454 rear seal, they get old and dry up.

Getting a 100k miles for a $20K car isn't bad, that's about 20 cents per mile. Are they going to give you a couple of bucks for your Cruze? Ha, know a lot of people paying over a buck a mile in depreciation.
I'm getting about $3500 on trade for it, truth be told I did't really care what I got for it, I just want it off my hands at this point.

As for cold weather performance, from what I read of other Torontonian Volt owners, range goes down in winter, but its not terrible. The ICE kicks on when its really cold to give you some supplemental cabin heat. I will report back on my experience after getting through this winter in the car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its actually really funny, but I have my steels back on, stickers off and it sitting out in the parking lot at work waiting for 5pm to come around so I can trade it and pick up the new car, but I am literally just sitting here praying it makes it the 4 km to dealer without fully crapping out on me, I wouldn't put it past this car to do that to me.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
I'm getting about $3500 on trade for it, truth be told I did't really care what I got for it, I just want it off my hands at this point.

As for cold weather performance, from what I read of other Torontonian Volt owners, range goes down in winter, but its not terrible. The ICE kicks on when its really cold to give you some supplemental cabin heat. I will report back on my experience after getting through this winter in the car.
In appearance, Volt is darn close to the Cruze, so really no reason to say goodbye. Hope you hang around for awhile. And should have good information to share with the rest of us guys, also those couple of gals on this board.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts