Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Trailer hitch wiring

7K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Mr_Pat 
#1 · (Edited)
I just got my curt hitch and wiring kit.

The wiring kit uses T connectors so there is no splicing the factor wiring. However while reading the installation instructions it says I need to run a wire from the positive battery terminal with a 10 amp fuse all the way to the rear of the car.

This seems really silly.

the wire is called a CME-PCL-INS, whatever that is.

https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary/PCL/installsheet/CME_PCL_INS.pdf

anyone do the wiring for their diesel cruze? Is there an alternate location to pull the +12 from?

Hitch install was a breeze took me about 12 mins to install. However the square notched metal bars were not long enough to keep them from spinning in the frame. I had to hit the nuts with the impact to get them to tighten up to 70ftlbs without them free spinning.

See less See more
#3 ·
looking to install the wiring myself. any suggestion for the 12 volts besides running to the battery? thanks
You could solder on a cigarette lighter socket on the end and just plug it into the rear port in the center console whenever you're towing.

#5 ·
Mandatory to connect to battery, lighter socket is a different circuit going through a relay, just run it thru the trunk DS wall then down to the sill and out to firewall plug, really not that hard, resist trying to not use the converter since the lights on this care are all driven by the body control module, one burnt out trailer bulb could get real expensive and the BCM will have a melt down over the extra load, make sure you re-torque those hitch bolts after use

#6 ·
I have done the same thing, although mine is a gasser. I will try and find some pictures if I can get a dead computer back to life.

I am also having issues with mine though. I know the soldered connections are good, but I have no trailer lights at all on mine. I tested the trailer and all is well, and my vehicle lights work great, so when it gets warmer, I'll start testing the wring.

#9 ·
I have the same hitch/harness on my diesel. It took me about 30 minutes to run it to the battery. It's not as hard as it seems in the beginning once you get rolling. Just think carefully where you zip tie because that exhaust will get pretty **** hot during regens...

#12 ·
@Blasirl Did you ever figure out the issue as to why you had no lights? I bought the Curt system as well and have had the same problem.. I can get brake lights to work but so far thats it .. tested the trailer lights with a different vehicle and they work fine.

#14 ·
Thanks I may have to try that. There is no hooking this thing up wrong I dont believe plugs directly inline of the taillights I may move the ground off the box off the lug its at and ground it seperatly elsewhere .. I put it on the ground lug on the drivers fender with a couple other connections that were already there ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.