Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow diesel fans...... I'll try to be concise: Girlfriends car, 2014, I'm the boyfriend mechanic: Her transmission slipped with the 16 yr old son driving it, he did not tell her (yeah who knows). There was a small spot of trans fluid under it when i got there. She saw a "service transmission" message days later and quit driving it. I am thinking it developed a leak and then got hot from starvation. I'm sure it is damaged but I do not know the extent. My questions are for those who have serviced this trans before.
1. Is the hex plug that is visible from the engine bay at the bellhousing a fill plug for the transmission?
2. Is the pan straight forward to get down?
3. What is the capacity of the trans for fluid and filter service?
4. I am guessing there is no salvage trans out there due to the scarcity of this model?
5. For those of you that have rebuilt the trans at or near 200k - did it turn out to be a solid investment? i.e. did the engine run out without major problems?
6. Do you need a cradle to extract this trans?
Thanks!!!

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,153 Posts
Hello fellow diesel fans...... I'll try to be concise: Girlfriends car, 2014, I'm the boyfriend mechanic: Her transmission slipped with the 16 yr old son driving it, he did not tell her (yeah who knows). There was a small spot of trans fluid under it when i got there. She saw a "service transmission" message days later and quit driving it. I am thinking it developed a leak and then got hot from starvation. I'm sure it is damaged but I do not know the extent. My questions are for those who have serviced this trans before.
1. Is the hex plug that is visible from the engine bay at the bellhousing a fill plug for the transmission?
4. I am guessing there is no salvage trans out there due to the scarcity of this model?
5. For those of you that have rebuilt the trans at or near 200k - did it turn out to be a solid investment? i.e. did the engine run out without major problems?
Thanks!!!
1. Yes, that's the fill plug. It can be a beast to get out, especially if it's never been removed before. Be careful or you'll have to get creative to get it out once it's stripped. I replaced mine after the first change with a plug with a regular 6-point external head to avoid future issues.

2. There is no pan or serviceable filter. There is an inner level-setting plug, then an outer drain plug. Open the fill plug, then remove the level-setting plug, then the drain plug.

3. It's approximately 3 quarts. You add the 3 quarts, use the level setting plug to check the level. Close the level-setting plug, then add an additional half-quart or so. There's a thread elsewhere on here with the procedure in detail.

I'm not familiar with the anwers for 4-6.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,153 Posts
The drain/fill how to thread:

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Thanks!!!
1. HOW TO: Service "Lifetime Fill" Tranmission...
2. no.

theres no filter to change, you just change the fluid, the steps to check the level and refill to proper level are in the link

when you do drain it, only SOME comes out, theres more fluid within the trans itself, not as simple as drain, drop pan, change filter, reverse

do you have a scanner?....torque pro and gretion will get you codes

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,011 Posts
To confirm: this is for the diesel, right? It has an entirely different transmission from the gassers.

Reactions: Tomko

·
Super Moderator
7,353 Posts
Suggest a glance at this thread, as well.

Reactions: MP81
1 - 6 of 6 Posts