Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think my car has been doing this all along but I just started paying attention in the past couple days and wanted to get input from my fellow Dieselers. When I first start out and for the first couple miles, it seems like the transmission is almost slipping, but that's not entirely accurate. It is probably better stated as the torque converter is not locking up. It will not hold steady revs relative to speed. Once the car warms up, every gear "locks in" and the engine RPMs are directly related to your speed in a given gear, just like a manual transmission. Has anybody else noticed this cold behavior?

·
Registered
269 Posts
So I think my car has been doing this all along but I just started paying attention in the past couple days and wanted to get input from my fellow Dieselers. When I first start out and for the first couple miles, it seems like the transmission is almost slipping, but that's not entirely accurate. It is probably better stated as the torque converter is not locking up. It will not hold steady revs relative to speed. Once the car warms up, every gear "locks in" and the engine RPMs are directly related to your speed in a given gear, just like a manual transmission. Has anybody else noticed this cold behavior?
My transmission definitely stays in lower gears initially until things get moving. Probably the first mile or two like you said. In the morning my car gets well into the 2000s before it shifts to the next gear when I am going about 10-15mph (not sure exactly what gear it's "sticking" in). Usually the transition from that gear to the next is pretty abrupt when it happens, as would be expected for the car revving so high. I'd imagine it's trying to warm itself up.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Might it have something to do with the fluid? ATF is crazy viscous when cold. This may be done to protect important parts of the trans until it's warm?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I notice the same with mine. Sometimes when the car first starts up and you leave it will hold first gear out for a surprisingly long time. Then, when it finally shifts to second it doesn't seem to lock up the converter as soon as it normally would.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
In general, a lockup torque converter is not enabled until trans fluid temp is around 100 degrees.......so, your observation is correct. There may be a temperature spec listed in the service manual. Rob

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, seems like all is well and normal as I suspected. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
747 Posts
My diesel does this as well, but so did my former 2LT. In fact, that one was worse. In really cold conditions, it didn't seem to want to shift out of first at all.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hey diesel,

I see you've received some feedback from our fellow forum members already, but if anything changes feel free to reach out to us via PM and we would be glad to set you up with your dealer.

Jonathan A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey diesel,

I see you've received some feedback from our fellow forum members already, but if anything changes feel free to reach out to us via PM and we would be glad to set you up with your dealer.

Jonathan A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thanks for the message. I believe from the feedback I have received that it is all perfectly normal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.