Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - my first time posting and feeling a little out of place as I have never done any repairs on a car in my life. However, I am really looking for some advice on a transmission coolant leak, so I hope you won't mind my uninformed request.

I took my 2014 Cruze LT sedan in because I assumed there was a coolant leak. No fluid on the ground but the fluid has to be topped up pretty frequently so it must be going somewhere. The work estimate I received back was a very surprising $1,500: degrease engine, $400 in labour, new coolant lines, but biggest of all: an $800 transmission cooler (PS these are CDN dollars).

I asked about the cooler and was told: "That is literally the only cooler we could find that work for your car. Your car has an unusual left mount."

I'm going to see another mechanic for a second opinion but wondering if anyone has had to purchase an $800 cooler for their Cruze before ($589 in US dollars). I'm searching every site I can find and I can't even find a transmission cooler that costs any more than $250 anywhere.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
830 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,224 Posts
Also no word of fixing the coolant leak/loss problem. The trans cooler is completely separate
This, it is integrated into the radiator, but doesn't use the engine coolant, as it would be counterproductive. Just uses the airflow, like the engine coolant does, but stays separate.

Not sure why they are saying you need a trans cooler.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This, it is integrated into the radiator, but doesn't use the engine coolant, as it would be counterproductive. Just uses the airflow, like the engine coolant does, but stays separate.

I didn't know that, so this is so helpful! So grateful for the feedback.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I didn't know that, so this is so helpful! So grateful for the feedback.
I mean unless there's physical damage to the trans cooler or lines and it's just an "in addition to" kinda thing. But I would think that bad enough damage would warrant trans fluid loss and eventually you wouldn't go anywhere.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts

The trans cooling circuit that runs through the trans is in the coolant end tank , there definitely engine coolant involved in the trans cooling system. The upper auxiliary cooler is air-to-air, but the primary cooler is liquid-to-liquid.

If the radiator is leaking coolant into the transmission fluid you wouldn't have a visible leak, and you are on your way to BIG repair bills. Make sure whatever mechanic you use verifies there coolant in your transmission.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just put on an additional trans cooler... it can run inline with the stock one or by it self... If anybody is interested I can give details

1 - 9 of 9 Posts