Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just made an appointment to get the oil changed in my CTD. I know I know, do it yourself, but my dealership I go to changes it for the same price as it costs me to buy the stuff and every 4th is free. That being said they quoted me for a transmission fluid swap. The quote...$488.00. I cringed a little. I know that I am going to need it, but I figure I will probably end up doing it myself or finding somewhere else to go. That just seems like an insane cost. Granted it doesnt need to be done all of the time, but $488...really. I understand that the maint on these cars is higher than most, so maybe its just an initial shock.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
It's the fluid. It has been stated on here that the fluid is like $30/L

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Administrator
15,611 Posts
Why do you think so many people are switching to the AMSOIL fluid? Even at retail, it's less than half the cost as the OE fluid but meets all of the specifications and even improves the shifting quality over the OE fluid in this exact transmission. What you're seeing is a fair estimate given the cost of the fluid. $30-$36 per quart. You might want to consider running the AMSOIL ATF instead. It meets the required AW-1 specification and is rated for 2x the severe service interval (45k miles x 2) so a complete flush would be good for 90k miles. URL provided below:

AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why do you think so many people are switching to the AMSOIL fluid? Even at retail, it's less than half the cost as the OE fluid but meets all of the specifications and even improves the shifting quality over the OE fluid in this exact transmission. What you're seeing is a fair estimate given the cost of the fluid. $30-$36 per quart. You might want to consider running the AMSOIL ATF instead. It meets the required AW-1 specification and is rated for 2x the severe service interval (45k miles x 2) so a complete flush would be good for 90k miles. URL provided below:

Oh I have already considered switching.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Thing is, nobody on here has complained about amsoil fluid and that's rare when nobody complains. Definitely the best option

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
It does but it's an internal screen. Have the tear the whole thing apart to get to it

·
Registered
574 Posts

I was wondering how this transmission would take if I just drain my transmission oil & replace that with that oil?^^^^
I been thinking of changing my transmission oil every 15K not flush drain. I have done this to all my other cars & have had great success & it is not as good as amsoil oil too. Valvoline max mileage transmission oil if you wonder what I used in other cars. This car I was going to use factory over priced oil. :(

·
Registered
1,263 Posts

·
Administrator
25,036 Posts
My understanding is that GM doesn't want you to flush the transmission fluid. They want you to do a warm gravity drain followed by a refill.

·
Administrator
15,611 Posts
I was wondering how this transmission would take if I just drain my transmission oil & replace that with that oil?^^^^
I been thinking of changing my transmission oil every 15K not flush drain. I have done this to all my other cars & have had great success & it is not as good as amsoil oil too. Valvoline max mileage transmission oil if you wonder what I used in other cars. This car I was going to use factory over priced oil. :(
It you're draining and refilling, you would be fine with the AMSOIL fluid every 30k easily, maybe more. You could get away with 45k intervals if you perform the drain and refill twice. The only reason why I like a complete flush is because it allows you to get 100% of the old fluid out instead of 35-40% of it like in this transmission.

·
Administrator
15,611 Posts
My understanding is that GM doesn't want you to flush the transmission fluid. They want you to do a warm gravity drain followed by a refill.
It's a more convenient procedure than disconnecting a trans cooler line and hooking it up to a machine that refills the trans while the trans pumps old fluid out.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Seriously $30 a quart--how much is the amsoil a quart, not so sure it's a good practice to mix 2 different oils with different chemical properties-could lead to clutch pack friction plate premature deterioration, the flush procedure xtreme posted up in the "how to" would be very easy to do and is very similar to the GM flush equipment method-both use extra fluid to flush out the old fluid, if the trans has not experienced a melt down (slippage-component failure) than a simple drain and re-fill will get out 1/2 the fluid, in reality once the trans has worn out the clutch pack friction plates your done-trans needs a complete rebuild and a new torque converter which is virtually imposable to clean of all metal particles, so a drain-refill to refresh some of the properties of the fluid WITH the same fluid cannot hurt, it is the fine particles in the spool valves that control all the shifting that cause trans problems, and yes the filter looks like it can only be changed with the case split-I haven't cracked one yet so can't say for sure

·
Administrator
15,611 Posts
Seriously $30 a quart--how much is the amsoil a quart, not so sure it's a good practice to mix 2 different oils with different chemical properties-could lead to clutch pack friction plate premature deterioration, the flush procedure xtreme posted up in the "how to" would be very easy to do and is very similar to the GM flush equipment method-both use extra fluid to flush out the old fluid, if the trans has not experienced a melt down (slippage-component failure) than a simple drain and re-fill will get out 1/2 the fluid, in reality once the trans has worn out the clutch pack friction plates your done-trans needs a complete rebuild and a new torque converter which is virtually imposable to clean of all metal particles, so a drain-refill to refresh some of the properties of the fluid WITH the same fluid cannot hurt, it is the fine particles in the spool valves that control all the shifting that cause trans problems, and yes the filter looks like it can only be changed with the case split-I haven't cracked one yet so can't say for sure
Less than half the price.

Mixing is fine. You'll just get a blend of the two properties. They aren't that far apart that it would cause issues. It's not like the chemicals react to each other.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I will be calling the dealer on the price someday. From what I seen online it is more like $35 for a gallon & $11 a quart
Amazon.com: Genuine GM Fluid 88861954 DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1 Gallon: Automotive
& DEXRON - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
& on eBay it is cheaper too. The gallon are sealed from factory from what I see. The people from eBay I seeing are from dealerships too.

·
Administrator
15,611 Posts
I will be calling the dealer on the price someday. From what I seen online it is more like $35 for a gallon & $11 a quart
Amazon.com: Genuine GM Fluid 88861954 DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1 Gallon: Automotive
& DEXRON - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
& on eBay it is cheaper too. The gallon are sealed from factory from what I see. The people from eBay I seeing are from dealerships too.
My bad I need to start looking where I'm reading before I post sorry :sad010:
Even $11 a quart is about what you'd pay for the AMSOIL fluid, except the OE fluid is a semi-synthetic group 2/3 blend and AMSOIL's is a group 5.

Amazon has the AW-1 fluid on sale for $21.48 a quart. List price is $36 a quart. Also semi-synthetic.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-4062-Warner-Automatic-Transmission/dp/B008BZQTSS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432733485&sr=8-2&keywords=gm+aw-1+fluid

1 - 20 of 27 Posts