Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Patience Of Job
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am not sure if this is paranoia or I simply don't trust the car anymore, but whatever the reason is. I am just wanting to get some better thoughts of others & if this is simply normal for the Cruze. Well the other day I notice my Cruze when it came out of 2nd into 3rd it was more jerky then it normally had been. Its more of a hesitating pull into 3rd you can feel it, not hard shift just more of a pulsing type shift. Then the rest of the gears shifts smooth & normal only way to tell it shifts is by watching RPMs, doesn't run bucked up or anything. Sometimes it will downshift like a "drop" into gear - not bucking or anything just like drop & there ya go, very few & between does it do that.

Now I am also noticing a slight metal I want to say from around 30mph like a rattle/mesh type sound doesn't do it at idle, doesn't do it at a stop light, it sounds overall good, just want to clear my thoughts & get some insight on this, I also contacted OnStar & done a diagnostic on the transmission health to make sure no stored codes that the system didn't turn the CEL on for.

So anything thoughts on this & am I simply being just paranoid on the situation?

·
Super Moderator
4,992 Posts
Nope not paranoia. Read my post http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/10-gen1-powertrain/170905-3rd-gear-issues.html. I am getting my tranny replaced since I just lost 3rd gear. When driving it will pop out of 3rd and difficult to downshift and or keep in gear. I am getting my tranny replaced this week since 3rd gear went south. BTW what trim level you have? LS/LT or Eco.? How many miles. If you can recreate for dealer you may be candidate for replacement.

·
Patience Of Job
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nope not paranoia. Read my post http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/10-gen1-powertrain/170905-3rd-gear-issues.html. I am getting my tranny replaced since I just lost 3rd gear. When driving it will pop out of 3rd and difficult to downshift and or keep in gear. I am getting my tranny replaced this week since 3rd gear went south. BTW what trim level you have? LS/LT or Eco.? How many miles. If you can recreate for dealer you may be candidate for replacement.
Mine doesn't pop out of 3rd it holds quite well actually & shifts into 4th smooth - Mine is a 2LT 66,744/miles, the bad thing is my warranty has expired actually. Did your have any CEL or stored codes?

Edit: also mine is a Auto Transmission - not sure what type I actually have its a 2011 build date is 11 / 10 - what type would I have?

·
Patience Of Job
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have done a few quick search on the community forum here. & I came across one thread where jblackburn he mentioned to disconnect the battery cable & leave off overnight, as the transmission in the 2011 is adaptive?, Maybe this is what my car needs, as its not slipping or anything of that nature, just jerky going into that 3rd gear, possible a "lag" in the actual shift between 2nd to 3rd the rest of the gears are awesome. referenced thread is here : http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-gen1-1-4l-turbo/101497-transmission-issues-2.html

So do I simply just unhook the negative battery terminal & re-hook in the morning?; Will this allow me to relearn the transmission?

·
2,162 Posts
@joshuab You have an automatic transmission right? @Patman has a manual transmission and it pops out of gear. I think you could possibly be paranoid, I feel like you would know for sure if something was wrong. If it's not bad enough that you still have doubt, it's probably fine. But that's hard for me to say without having experienced what you're talking about. Do you have any CELs? Has it happened more than once?

·
Patience Of Job
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@joshuab You have an automatic transmission right? @Patman has a manual transmission and it pops out of gear. I think you could possibly be paranoid, I feel like you would know for sure if something was wrong. If it's not bad enough that you still have doubt, it's probably fine. But that's hard for me to say without having experienced what you're talking about. Do you have any CELs? Has it happened more than once?
Has it happened before?, Not quite sure as I never really paid attention to it much, that is why I am questioning this to be paranoid. The car shifts smooth 1, 2 3rd(shifts soft jerk); 4th is smooth 5th is smooth 6 is smooth there isn't any slipping between the gears, no harsh high RPMs between shifts. Just slight/soft jerk if that makes sense, I reset everything by taking the battery cable off & put it back on it relearned & does literally the same. But again I am starting to think exactly that its "normal" because honestly I would think if something was wrong I would notice slipping out of gears etc & no CELs or any stored codes, I had Onstar do a check on the Transmission & all came back normal no errors.

So maybe Paranoid what would you'll think? lol

·
Patience Of Job
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well I been noticing my driving & watching when the shifting from 2nd to 3rd, now all the other gears shift like butter. No harsh downshifting just every once in a while I might feel a bump on down shift. The car doesn't buck or anything, but here is what it seems to be doing after watching out for this.

When the car comes into second gear, & right before it shifts into 3rd I will notice a small 200rpm increase like a delay or lag possible going into neural for a couple seconds during the actual shift into 3rd, so I am assuming this is why it seems to be "jerky" or a bit hard? - Now could this be boost from the Turbo or what? If this is normal great, I just don't want to take this into the dealership & look like a idiot when they test drive it & be like what is wrong?

So any feedback would be greatly appreciated & if anyone else is experiencing same issue & if they found a remedy or was this simply normal?

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
This is what is called a flare or shift flare in the transmission world. Where there is a temporary increase in rpm as the transmission shifts gears.

Sorry - but that's all I know.

·
Patience Of Job
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is what is called a flare or shift flare in the transmission world. Where there is a temporary increase in rpm as the transmission shifts gears.

Sorry - but that's all I know.
Is this a issue that needs attention right away or just something there now to drive me nuts?

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts

·
Patience Of Job
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Flare is a symptom of something that is not right. The transmission was not designed to do this.

Google may be of further help: Transmission slipping and bucking - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Thanks for the replies Tomko, I have been reading that post that you provided & I also did some searching on google. To get a better insight on this, & it seems that the issue does mostly occur within 2 -3 shift which what mine is doing. However mine isn't what you say "jerking hard" it more like you feel it shifting; not like 1 2 4 5 6 gears those are smooth as butter, just that 3rd gear is tricky; it doesn't shift violently or anything of that nature.

Could this be a valve body issue ?; This car only has 67K on it what a shame I tell ya.

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
As I read this thread, I'm leaning towards paranoia.

This 6 speed auto, under normal throttle positions (means not deep throttle) engages the lock up torque converter and applies third at the same time.
As a result, the 2nd to 3rd upshift often is interpeted as 'Harsh' when compared to the other upshifts........the description currently fits for normal operation of this unit.

It has been so long since your car has operated properly I suspect you are somewhat 'Hypersensative' to every action the car makes.
The slight flare you see is the torque converter locking immediately behind the 2/3 upshift IMO.

Rob

·
Patience Of Job
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Robby you make a valued point as to me being "hypersensative" as I maybe. But I feel this issue isn't just 'me' cause at times this shift is smoother then other times, sorta like its intermittent. When at a dead stop I can pull out w/o spinning the wheels 1,2 fast then 3rd feels like it lunges forward & feel the like the engine rocks during the shift then 4,5,6 smooth all quickly & no further issue. All these 'harsh' shifts are not throwing me around or bucking of any sort. No CELs I contacted OnStar to do a check on the transmission system & all comes back good, no pending codes, or active ones & the system checks OK.

Just on another note, I wanted to try to test drive while the car was cold. So the other morning I get in it & start & let run for a couple mins & then took it for a short (easy) drive & the car shifted really good during this time, but after reaching operating temps the car started the same thing again.

It leans towards, 'jerks' 'lunging' during the shift & feels like the engine rocks. note, this only occurs in 3rd gear. Also want to mention which I didn't on my initial response to this issue. I was driving along & during my down shifts when it got to 3rd or 2nd not sure, the car lost gear & revved for about split second & then grabbed a gear sorted stumped & then after that is when I started experiencing what I am now.

So I am baffled as to maybe a mechanical issue at only 67K, but maybe a electric issue on the transmission perhaps?; or would everyone just say I need to stop & just enjoy my Cruze & not waste time at the dealership when they got better things to do then me waste there time?

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
Naturally, from where I sit, I can only go on your descriptions.

Untill the trans fluid attains a pre determined temperature, the torque converter lockup is disabled.......so, that lines up with your experience when you drove it 'cold'.

The torque converter, when it locks, is almost instant......that could translate into your perception of the engine/driveline rocking.
It could also be an indicator of a failing motor mount......Lord knows they have been disturbed enough times.

But since this feeling is new and occured after this described downshift event, my thoughts are leaning more towards a motor mount concern.

Like I said, best I can offer from my desk.

Rob

·
Patience Of Job
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so maybe motor mount(s) are failing is a possibility. & would make me sleep better at night if this is the actual case, now I wanted to try another couple things w/ my car just trying to rule things out. Before saying OK its time to go to the dealership.

So I found the RPM point of shift for 3rd gear is right around 2,500 rpm so I went from 1st, to 2nd, nicely & then right before the shift rpm point I let off the gas & watched the RPM drop & it smoothly shifted into 3rd w/o any jerk, lunging or anything of that nature. So then I come to a red light then pull back out & then just give it throttle to about half way & then when the shift for 3rd came up it jerked this time.

Also will a motor mount cause harm to anything else or do I need to get quick attention on this, assuming its motor mount(s) issue?

·
Patience Of Job
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I am just glad & hoping my transmission isn't going bad. & have some relief that my car shifted smoothly when not on the gas going into 3rd, so I may get appointment setup & see if the mount(s) are going bad & if so go ahead & get them replaced under warranty.

So Robby, would you be more inclined on thinking this is a mount(s) issue where the 3rd gear shifted smoothly while not on the throttle at all. Because again as I was in 2nd gear & right before it hit the shift point RPM I let off completely on the throttle & watched the RPMs drop & that is literally only way I could tell it was in 3rd, plus after the initial shift I confirmed it was in 3rd by pushing it over to M+ to see - so that made me feel a little better in hopes it wasn't more major.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Well I am just glad & hoping my transmission isn't going bad. & have some relief that my car shifted smoothly when not on the gas going into 3rd, so I may get appointment setup & see if the mount(s) are going bad & if so go ahead & get them replaced under warranty.

So Robby, would you be more inclined on thinking this is a mount(s) issue where the 3rd gear shifted smoothly while not on the throttle at all. Because again as I was in 2nd gear & right before it hit the shift point RPM I let off completely on the throttle & watched the RPMs drop & that is literally only way I could tell it was in 3rd, plus after the initial shift I confirmed it was in 3rd by pushing it over to M+ to see - so that made me feel a little better in hopes it wasn't more major.
Have you made sure you changed your transmission fluid? Having bad fluid can make the transmission act really odd.

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts

I would rather not speculate further untill a tech. has had a look/see.

Rob

1 - 20 of 42 Posts