Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a leak coming from the crimped end of a rubber line going to the metal line for the transmission. Its a pretty good leak I can put my finger under the connection and feel it as well as see where its dripping down. To give you an idea where the leak is in the picture I've posted its from the metal line right below the blue line and its coming from where the rubber hose meet that metal line. I'm unsure whether its transmission fluid or coolant, but I also have recently noticed a heavy loss of coolant the last couple of months. (I've had both the water pump and the main line coming from the reservoir tank replaced in the past.) I generally lose a whole tank of coolant in 2-3 weeks, it seems to leak a lot faster when its full though. I'm unsure whether these two things are related whatsoever but my question is what kind of shop should I take it to for this? My bumper to bumper warranty is out meaning the dealership likely won't cover anything and the dealerships are always much more expensive. I was thinking about taking it to a reputable transmission shop but then the whole coolant loss thing.. What is your opinion?

2016_02_01_10_24_06_1441tvr.jpg_580_800_.gif

·
Registered
508 Posts
Unfortunately I have the same leak as well. Pretty messed up that these cas have so many known common failure points. They should have way more technical service bulletins and recalls than they do now. Also, why does it look like your exhaust manifold is glowing cherry red? I gues my question is, is that even normal?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I apologize its the low picture quality and probably because I reduced the quality of the image in further when I converted it, it isn't actually that color. Do you know whether its transmission fluid or coolant leaking from those lines? I know the transmission fluid is actively cooled by the radiator but I don't know if coolant actually runs through either of those lines. Somebody needs to create some DIY tutorials on these common issues, when it comes to a simple line/hose replacement you wouldn't think you'd have to take it to the dealer..

·
Registered
508 Posts
It's Infact ATF leaking. It runs the transmission fluid to a section of the radiator dedicated to cooling it. Unfortunately, this like replacement is beyond simple. I'm sure the whole bumper has to come off. Not that it's the hardest thing to do, but doing it without breaking the clips is the real task. Hopefully someone on here will chime in on a repair procedure.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I had to change mine. You don't have to remove the bumper. However you will need to get to it from under the car and get access to the lines by moving part of the air panel. I also had disconnect the hose that goes to the intake. Its not real hard just time consuming. You will need a quick release tool to remove it from the radiator.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
My transmission cooler lines are leaking as well, have been for over a year. Since I didn't want to pay the $500+ to have the dealer fix it(seen the cost on another post on here), just paid to have the trans fluid changed to ensure its still full enough. May look into fixing this sometime this year.

OFF TOPIC, in your photo is that turbo really red hot? it appears to almost be to red hot magma temperatures.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Let's get this thing going! You think you can do a write up or compile a list of everything needed to changed these out my friend? How much did you spend on parts? Did you have to add ATF once complete?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just as a note I'm going to have a dealer look at it and see what they say. If they say 500+ like that I'm going to have to hold off and just have them change it out like you did. Hopefully someone will be kind enough to post a guide for a DIY fix, especially seeing as this is a fairly common issue. I found a link to the parts although I'm not sure which ones to order or what kind of tools would be necessary: http://www.gmpartshouse.com/auto-pa...gine/cooling-system-cat/trans-oil-cooler-scat

·
Registered
381 Posts
There is a panel right behind the front air **** that needs to come off. From there you can see the bottom line. There is also a line that is farther up. You need to see which one is leaking. If its the upper one you can probably do it from the top. If its the lower one you will need to do it from the bottom of the car.

You need a quick release tool for the transmission lines. Very similar to the ones used for your gas lines if you change the fuel filter.

http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/line-disconnect-tool

There is a little pin in there you have to release. Becarefull it can fly away. When I did it I just googled what I saw for other cars. It would have just about been impossible to take good pictures.

You do want good ramps to lift the car off so you have plenty of room. Look at the one that needs replaced and match it up to the picture.

I did not need to add any transmission fluid it was not leaking a lot on my car.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I had one of the two lines leaking for sometime, had it fixed yesterday at the dealer for $226 for parts and labor. I was very impressed with the job my dealer did, cleaned up the mess so well the car now looks new again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would just like to share this.
Just had service. Transmission was slipping as it has since new. Needs new gaskets/seals, gears, clutches,etc. He listed a bunch of stuff that was wore out. Berger Chevy said it was because my lower hose leaked and torched my transmission. Now i know this is an excuse because it never got low on fluid. They even said it was full enough. It has always slipped from 1st to 2nd or slammed 3rd after it misses it for a few seconds. Conveniently they have never been able to find an issue until now after 5 checks/visits. Now the issue is that oh yeah its blown up. Way to go fixing things like usual. Chevy seems to be bad at repairing mechanical issues under warranty. I was told that my water pump was leaking, and my lower trans cooler hose was leaking. The lower hose was said to be in poor condition and i could replace it if i wanted to. (like i have a choice if its leaking). oh that would cost me $550 to replace but they will cover the water pump. He says and the cost for the transmission would be... So much for the warranty. After some arguing and threatening they agreed to cover the transmission(only because i had complained every time i brought it in). Complain about everything and get it on paper. I have 33000 miles on this car. its 2yrs old

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a leak coming from the crimped end of a rubber line going to the metal line for the transmission. Its a pretty good leak I can put my finger under the connection and feel it as well as see where its dripping down. To give you an idea where the leak is in the picture I've posted its from the metal line right below the blue line and its coming from where the rubber hose meet that metal line. I'm unsure whether its transmission fluid or coolant, but I also have recently noticed a heavy loss of coolant the last couple of months. (I've had both the water pump and the main line coming from the reservoir tank replaced in the past.) I generally lose a whole tank of coolant in 2-3 weeks, it seems to leak a lot faster when its full though. I'm unsure whether these two things are related whatsoever but my question is what kind of shop should I take it to for this? My bumper to bumper warranty is out meaning the dealership likely won't cover anything and the dealerships are always much more expensive. I was thinking about taking it to a reputable transmission shop but then the whole coolant loss thing.. What is your opinion?

View attachment 178817
I just checke my AT cooler lines in that same area and I believe it leaking slowly too. Stinks that it's not under warranty. I have 56,000 miles on my car.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I would just like to share this.
Just had service. Transmission was slipping as it has since new. Needs new gaskets/seals, gears, clutches,etc. He listed a bunch of stuff that was wore out. Berger Chevy said it was because my lower hose leaked and torched my transmission. Now i know this is an excuse because it never got low on fluid. They even said it was full enough. It has always slipped from 1st to 2nd or slammed 3rd after it misses it for a few seconds. Conveniently they have never been able to find an issue until now after 5 checks/visits. Now the issue is that oh yeah its blown up. Way to go fixing things like usual. Chevy seems to be bad at repairing mechanical issues under warranty. I was told that my water pump was leaking, and my lower trans cooler hose was leaking. The lower hose was said to be in poor condition and i could replace it if i wanted to. (like i have a choice if its leaking). oh that would cost me $550 to replace but they will cover the water pump. He says and the cost for the transmission would be... So much for the warranty. After some arguing and threatening they agreed to cover the transmission(only because i had complained every time i brought it in). Complain about everything and get it on paper. I have 33000 miles on this car. its 2yrs old
Hello pyakit,

It sounds like you've had a tough time with your Cruze. I understand why this is disappointing as you don't expect to run into concerns with a newer model vehicle. Given the opportunity, our team would be happy to touch base with the involved dealership for clarification and review your situation in greater detail. If this interests you, please send us your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership in a direct message.

Thanks!

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
508 Posts
My transmission cooler lines are leaking as well, have been for over a year. Since I didn't want to pay the $500+ to have the dealer fix it(seen the cost on another post on here), just paid to have the trans fluid changed to ensure its still full enough. May look into fixing this sometime this year.

OFF TOPIC, in your photo is that turbo really red hot? it appears to almost be to red hot magma temperatures.
Just went into the dealer yesterday to try to have the same thing done and they pretty much refused because of the leak. They said it wouldn't be beneficial to have the ATF replaced if there is a line leaking.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Just went into the dealer yesterday to try to have the same thing done and they pretty much refused because of the leak. They said it wouldn't be beneficial to have the ATF replaced if there is a line leaking.
It wasn't much more from having the fluid changed to have the line fixed, one leaking line was $225, both I was quoted over $300. They also topped off the fluid when they replaced the line so if you are low the cost would tke care of it.

BTW this leak is a MAJOR fire hazard since its so close to the hot turbo. Everyone should be reporting this to the NHTSA, hopefully a future recall will get me reimbursed for the repair.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a very small leak so far from the hoses, looks to be from the crimped joints. Not enough to worry about for now (I hope).

I was wondering though, why can't a local hydraulics shop simply crimp new sections of flex hose onto the steel tube?

I have had many new hoses made for my tractor and this is exactly the same technology.. Any thoughts?

I hope Chevy is reading this stuff because this car is a dog to be honest!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm seeing a bunch of youtube vids where folks are just cutting the steel lines, flaring the ends and replacing with hose and clamps... Different vehicles but I assume the cruze is not running crazy high pressure so why can't we do the same.

Like less than $20 to repair both hoses... What am I missing??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts