Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was driving around yesterday when I heard a bang or knock type sound. As it became more frequent and louder I became alarmed and curious. So I went under the hood today and noticed right away that there was a bolt hole staring at me. Right next to it was a loose bolt. I wanted to see how loose when it came right out. It is the upper transmission mount bolts, 2 of the 3 snapped right in half. I will be going to the dealer tomorrow to have them fix it, hoping its under warranty. I am posting this to find out if anybody else had this issue. my cruze is 6 months (2013 old with 12k miles!:mad:

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Manual or Automatic?

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
B to B Should cover a Broken Bolt . The dealer may have to order it though .

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
This is the first time I've heard of broken mounting bolts in the Cruze.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its an automatic. I brought it in today, and its the result of a poor repair on a previous accident. When they replaced the mount they used the old bolts, which are only meant for single use. Well after the stress, it broke one. Then snapped the other with the additional stress. Hope I didn't scare anyone!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I'm glad the cause of the bolt damage is known. We also now know that you can't reuse the engine mounting bolts. I'm glad Geico paid for this as part of the repair work from your previous accident.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes they were damaged from my accident 8 months ago, surprised me because it took so long. When they first snapped it crossed my mind that it could be from the accident but I ruled it out cause it was 8 months ago. Well we learned something new.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol bought it in may and crashed it in june, when I wrote that I didn't give the exact time frame a thought. I was just like umm 6 months. Good catch though. So more like bought it 7 months and crashed it 6 months ago.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
It's common for high-torque bolts to be torqued down once, stretched to fit, and then not be able to be put to use again. Wheel bearings, head bolts, etc - places that see high opposing forces - all use these kinds of bolts to make sure they stay good and snug over time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How were you able to see the transmission bolts from above? The manual I'm reading shows a transmission mount under the car?

And yes I'm reviving an old thread, I can't seem to find anything else related to the problem I'm having.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts