Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
?

SThe first video is my first gear...I explain in the video...any ideas on what is going on?

I couldn't post a second video but it's my only other video on youtube. 5th and 6th are "loud" gears. If you watch the video, there's a distinct change in noise from the engine compartment from 4th to 5th.

MT, (6 speed), opt MF3 Is what I have.

I have an eco.....can I switch to an MZO?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
The bearings in that trans are toast. Not uncommon at all for the 5-6 shaft.

You could go with a MZ0 if you wanted - it would certainly give the sluggish Eco better acceleration, but you'll lose highway MPG because RPM would be much higher at highway speeds.

Too bad it happened out of powertrain warranty; many have failed before then and gotten a new (rebuilt) trans out of it. When/if you replace it, fill it with 2.5 qts of fluid, and change it every 35-45k. We think that underfilled transmissions were what caused most of the 5-6 shaft bearing failures.

I really liked the Amsoil 75w-90 in my old Cruze; it made shift quality noticeably better with the thicker stuff in there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bearings in that trans are toast. Not uncommon at all for the 5-6 shaft.

You could go with a MZ0 if you wanted - it would certainly give the sluggish Eco better acceleration, but you'll lose highway MPG because RPM would be much higher at highway speeds.

Too bad it happened out of powertrain warranty; many have failed before then and gotten a new (rebuilt) trans out of it. When/if you replace it, fill it with 2.5 qts of fluid, and change it every 35-45k. We think that underfilled transmissions were what caused most of the 5-6 shaft bearing failures.

I really liked the Amsoil 75w-90 in my old Cruze; it made shift quality noticeably better with the thicker stuff in there.
No kiddin.. I'd I just had a little more warranty. Lol

So, I've noticed 5th is worse than sixth, so I'm just skipping the 5th for now.

I know you can't give me a definite, but how many miles do you think I can drag out of it?

If something breaks while driving, what's going to happen?

I'm a little cash strapped, so I'm trying to get some distance to get the cash together

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your 1/2/5/6 endcase bearings have likely failed. Mine wasn't as far along as yours, but I replaced the bearings myself. M32 Gearbox Bearing Fix

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.