Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a picture somewhere around here where there is an aluminum external trans cooler that then plumbs into the standard cooler/heater in the radiator. What are the temps like? Would it be beneficial to bypass the radiator cooler/warmer and just leave it at the external one so when engine temps get too warm, it's not cooking the trans oil.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Speaking of transmission cooler, I don't have the auxiliary oil to air cooler that it seems most of the cars do. More so, my cooler that runs through the rad is on the opposite side of the car than what most pictures say it is. I
Have 2 l flex lines that run on top of the back side of the rad, that then go into the rad cooler, and then return back to the transmission.. I just bought a B&M tranny cooler, so out with the rad one tomorrow and IN with the new. Going for a drive this Wednesday so I'll report back what I get with the cooler and some pics of before and after.

·
10,712 Posts
I'll try and find a diagram again, auto cruze had a cooler but it's not easily spotted. Now on the 2nd gen I spotted something in front but it looks too huge to be a tranny cooler but oddly shaped to be a FMIC.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try and find a diagram again, auto cruze had a cooler but it's not easily spotted. Now on the 2nd gen I spotted something in front but it looks too huge to be a tranny cooler but oddly shaped to be a FMIC.
I will take some pics. I can assure you there's no auxiliary air cooler. I can follow all the lines, and they go from trans, over the rad in flex lines to the rad, and back to the trans from the rad.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Would it be beneficial to bypass the radiator cooler/warmer and just leave it at the external one so when engine temps get too warm, it's not cooking the trans oil.
The proper way to hook up a trans cooler like your talking about is to leave it running through the radiator and on the output hook up the cooler. That way cold starts the transmission fluid will actually get up to operating tempetures quicker. Ever look at the Transmission temperatures on this car? Takes almost an hour driving to get fully warmed up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The proper way to hook up a trans cooler like your talking about is to leave it running through the radiator and on the output hook up the cooler. That way cold starts the transmission fluid will actually get up to operating tempetures quicker. Ever look at the Transmission temperatures on this car? Takes almost an hour driving to get fully warmed up.
I've got a bit of driving to do tomorrow. I'll look at the temps then. My cooler has a cold temp bypass built into it. So it wouldn't go through all the fins while cold.

·
10,712 Posts
The proper way to hook up a trans cooler like your talking about is to leave it running through the radiator and on the output hook up the cooler. That way cold starts the transmission fluid will actually get up to operating temperatures quicker. Ever look at the Transmission temperatures on this car? Takes almost an hour driving to get fully warmed up.

This. Winter was horrible on my other car even if you did the block with cardboard mod when it skipped the radiator instead of using it as a preheat element.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This. Winter was horrible on my other car even if you did the block with cardboard mod when it skipped the radiator instead of using it as a preheat element.
Well I'm on the west coast, near Blaine, WA and we had a mild winter. Maybe 7 degrees Celsius and 2 days of snow I think.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
bsb2001-

What engine do you have? I believe only the 1.4L with the Automatic have the tranny cooler as pictured above. I know my 2012 1.4L AT is plumbed exactly like that picture.

It's possible with the addition of the intercooler to the turbo that engineering thought the radiator cooler wouldn't be enough.

The 1.4L AT actually has a temperature control valve which blocks off the aux cooler, until the transmission fluid gets to temperature. It appears they want to get the oil to 160-180F before additional cooling opens up. You can see this when watching the Torque App for Transmission fluid temp

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
bsb2001-

What engine do you have? I believe only the 1.4L with the Automatic have the tranny cooler as pictured above. I know my 2012 1.4L AT is plumbed exactly like that picture.

It's possible with the addition of the intercooler to the turbo that engineering thought the radiator cooler wouldn't be enough.

The 1.4L AT actually has a temperature control valve which blocks off the aux cooler, until the transmission fluid gets to temperature. It appears they want to get the oil to 160-180F before additional cooling opens up. You can see this when watching the Torque App for Transmission fluid temp

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I forgot that I had posted in the general powerterrain. That thermostat is #14 pictured in the pic I had uploaded. I have a 2015 1.4T
Again.... None of that fancy cooler stuff exists in my car. There are 4 lines. 2 short ones that go from trans to just in front of the rad, which then connect to the longer lines that feed up and over the rad to the rad trans cooler.
I'll put up a vid later today.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Bypassing the trans "cooler" is a good idea if your in hot never cold climates like Florida. the temps will only be able to cool to rads temps and then lower with the oil to air cooler. like others said if your in cold climates then leave it since it keeps temps consistent. if you live in hot like me once warranty is up ill bypass the radiator heater... i mean cooler lol and go straight oil to air.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.