Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
What is interesting is that my transmission temp runs at 225° F. This is hot for a transmission and I suspect normal for this one. To me it makes sense to keep the fluid changed out often since it is taking a beating and to use a quality synthetic. I switched my 2014 over to AMSOIL ATL at 15k miles when I purchased it used and then again at 60k miles I did a drain and fill. Now at 100k miles I plan on doing at least 6 drain and fills to try and get as much fresh fluid in there as I can. I'm lucky, knock on wood that I don't have issues and hope to keep it from happening.

But to me as hot as these run it is wise to change out the fluid often. Even more often if not using a quality synthetic.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,797 Posts
Oddly enough, our transmission issues (well, the neutral-self-slam) started only after I replaced the OE transmission fluid with AMSOIL.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't think GM is "aware" (either legitimately, or the old "ignorance is bliss") of the issue...though I wonder if I could have Trifecta tune out the shift to neutral at a stop for mine.

What I've found recently might actually change the thinking that this is entirely due to heat. So, this does only seem to happen when ambient temps are above a certain level (i.e. it only really happens in spring/summer/fall, if it's above ~70), and basically never happens in winter (I am speaking of the self-neutral-slam/seppuku here, not the other incidents of garbage behavior).

However, having completed two long drives (one from MI to NC and back, and one from MI to IL and back - trips there and back not all in the same day, thankfully), but when the car spends a long amount of time on the freeway, and then you get off, that is when it seems VERY prone to exhibiting this behavior. It's almost 100% - get off the freeway when you're near the destination or near home and BAM, whiplash. And it usually will do that two or three times. When we came back from IL it was very hot, but when we came back from NC it was like...73 out.

So, I'm thinking that something with the ambient temp triggers this, but it seems entirely irrelevant of trans fluid temp (which means better cooling - like a large external cooler with its own fan - will not likely help). I'm thinking that such long bouts of freeway lead to that solenoid seeing basically no use, and thus getting very "sticky", so when you get off the freeway and pull up to your first stop, it's almost guaranteed to look like the car rear-ended itself. And likely for the next 2 or 3 stops, until it "works itself loose".

Just a theory at this point, but that's the real-life evidence I've encountered that is starting to help me form it.

I was really hoping to get the trans fluid changed before we head up north in a week and a half (for over a week), but we'll see if I'll have the time. I need to order some of that Lubegard and give that a shot when I do the trans fluid change.
MP81 I agree with your car's behavior mine is the same, except that it even does it in cold weather when the trans is warm from expressway or other long drives. I did notice some improvement after changing the fluid at 100k miles. I will definitely try the Lube Gard additive next time.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Oddly enough, our transmission issues (well, the neutral-self-slam) started only after I replaced the OE transmission fluid with AMSOIL.
Just curious, but at what mileage? I changed out the factory fluid at 15k to AMSOIL on the Cruze, then again at 50k and going to do it again here at 100k.

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Just curious, but at what mileage? I changed out the factory fluid at 15k to AMSOIL on the Cruze, then again at 50k and going to do it again here at 100k.
I think 70-75k? And then a little more got replaced when I swapped the trans cooler lines shortly thereafter, but it started with the issues before replacing the cooler lines.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,106 Posts
What is the quantity used per change? Does it change based on how much fluid goes in?

This might be a good thing to add into my brother's '01 Century's 4T65-E, it has an occasional harsh upshift that's never been able to be fixed.
I used a full 15 oz bottle when I did mine. I put it in instead of the 0.4L at the end of the level-setting procedure. I'm planning to keep the ratio of AMSOil to Lubegard the same, as long as it seems to be working, so I'll be adding something like a 10oz bottle or half of a 15oz bottle with each drain/fill after this.
I did the fluid change yesterday, and I ended up just adding another full 15oz bottle. I had been getting some increased shift flare, especially in hot weather, and it didn't seem to be pulling as strongly under hard throttle as it used to, so I thought maybe increasing the ratio of LubeGard Platinum to AMSOil might help. So far, it has felt like more power getting to the wheels, and shifts are cleaner than before. We'll see if the increased concentration eliminates or further reduces the neutral slam or the 5-4 downshift compared to the previous concentration, which was already helping significantly. I figure I'm now at about 50% stronger concentration of LubeGard Platinum than I was at before yesterday's fluid change.

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
I bought the LubeGard, but haven't had a chance to get the fluid changed...really been meaning to, though.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,106 Posts
I bought the LubeGard, but haven't had a chance to get the fluid changed...really been meaning to, though.
I had the same "meaning to" problem all summer with my vehicles. Now that I'm running out of warm weather, it's giving me an extra kick in the pants to get on it. Between the 3 vehicles, I'm looking at taking 7-8 gallons of used fluids to recycling once I'm finished. Unfortunately, it looks like the oil pickup seal and intake cleaning on the Cruze are going to be spring jobs now.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts