Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh here we go. Had my transmission replaced under warranty around 20k. I'm at 27k now and noticed recently (last few weeks) what feels like a slip in 4th when the engine is cold. Once it's warm I don't seem to have any issues that I've seen.

I'm really hoping someone has some magic wisdom to share that could be the cause here other than internal wear because this thing in there now is supposedly brand new. Normally low fluid would be the first thing I'd check but I don't notice any drips or fluid under the car in my daily parking spots. Plus usually that would mean slipping in all gears no? Not just 1 specific gear.

I'm wondering if some gunk from my previous failure was in a transmission line or something and go distributed through the new unit and plugged something up. It's not a bad slip by any means but it's a couple hundred rpms and that's when I'm being really easy on it. If I have to merge quickly it's more. But in general I take it easy on the car until it's warm after 5 min of driving or so. Especially now that I'm super paranoid about failures.

Going to schedule a visit to the dealer but just figured I'd throw this out there first to see if any of you all had any thoughts/experience here.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Drop it in L and see if it does it when you thumb up to the next gear (at whatever throttle you'd normally see it).

Mine has always been weird on the 2-3 shift when cold, but have never noticed the 3-4 shift. Just doesn't shift smoothly before the fluid is up to temp.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drop it in L and see if it does it when you thumb up to the next gear (at whatever throttle you'd normally see it).

Mine has always been weird on the 2-3 shift when cold, but have never noticed the 3-4 shift. Just doesn't shift smoothly before the fluid is up to temp.
Hmm ok. I just don't remember it doing that when it was new. But I'll try. What exactly do you mean thumb up from L though? Like put it in L4 and drive and see if it still has the same behavior?

·
17,488 Posts
Hmm ok. I just don't remember it doing that when it was new. But I'll try. What exactly do you mean thumb up from L though? Like put it in L4 and drive and see if it still has the same behavior?
Manually thumb up from L2->L3->4. See if it will act up when "told" to.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh you mean with the + and - button on top of the shift knob? As far as I was aware they did nothing when the car was in motion. I Not like a typical modern tiptronic transmission anyway? The more you know haha. I'll try today on my way home, thanks.

·
17,488 Posts
Oh you mean with the + and - button on top of the shift knob? As far as I was aware they did nothing when the car was in motion. I Not like a typical modern tiptronic transmission anyway? The more you know haha. I'll try today on my way home, thanks.
It acts as more of a limiter rather than a true manual mode like the Gen 1 - IE if you place it in L3, it won't shift above 3rd. It should upshift at light throttle openings soon after you "limit it" to the next gear.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah ok so just to be clear you mean something like this?

• Place in L
  • accelerate to ~2k
  • + button to L2
  • accelerate to 2k again
  • + button to L3
  • accelerate to 2k again
  • + button to L4
  • see if problem is still there?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It acts as more of a limiter rather than a true manual mode like the Gen 1 - IE if you place it in L3, it won't shift above 3rd. It should upshift at light throttle openings soon after you "limit it" to the next gear.
Ok tried this on my way home yesterday. Seems to behave the same. Side note, I had no idea you could shift like this in the car. It's a strange cognitive disconnect though, almost like playing a video game or something. It's very strange. But I essentially did one I described above but it was more like 3k and when I shifted to L4 I got the same little blip of rpm's and then it shifted fine.
But again, once it was warm no problems that I was aware of.

·
17,488 Posts
Is it just something you've noticed recently? The 6T35 is all kinds of unrefined when cold. I'll try to pay attention driving through the neighborhood later.

·
Registered
2011 1.4T Cruze RS pkg.
28 Posts
My 1st gen 2011 1.4T AT does this but only if i let off the gas when its about to shift from 3rd-4th if i keep on the gas it slides into 4th smoothly i drive it in +M- because the shift times are absolutely horrible i i get about 6-8 more mpg by making my own shift changes (btw if you own the1.4Turbo pushing above 4k rpms actually saves gas) ABSOLUTELY NO turbocharged engine should shift at 2k rpms your putting to much load on the engine at low rpms aka under 2k always shift at 3k and above i do at 4k anyways i think its just the way GM made the **** things almost all components inside the transmission is plastic

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it just something you've noticed recently? The 6T35 is all kinds of unrefined when cold. I'll try to pay attention driving through the neighborhood later.
Yeah within the last month I'd say. But again I could just be extra paranoid because I dealt with a replacement already. I really don't remember it doing that when I first got the car though.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My 1st gen 2011 1.4T AT does this but only if i let off the gas when its about to shift from 3rd-4th if i keep on the gas it slides into 4th smoothly i drive it in +M- because the shift times are absolutely horrible i i get about 6-8 more mpg by making my own shift changes (btw if you own the1.4Turbo pushing above 4k rpms actually saves gas) ABSOLUTELY NO turbocharged engine should shift at 2k rpms your putting to much load on the engine at low rpms aka under 2k always shift at 3k and above i do at 4k anyways i think its just the way GM made the **** things almost all components inside the transmission is plastic
Hmm I'll try shifting like that. Perhaps I'm babying it too much now and it's fighting me. Strange though that it goes away when it's warmed up.

·
17,488 Posts
3-4 seems reasonably smooth on mine, maybe a minor flare when cold.

2-3 is a mess when cold, uphill (most of my neighborhood's pretty hilly). It'll buzz away to almost 3500 in 2nd (I'm using pretty light throttle but the grade programming doesn't care), lock the torque converter, shift, thump, unlock the torque converter, and buzz away some more.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
3-4 seems reasonably smooth on mine, maybe a minor flare when cold.

2-3 is a mess when cold, uphill (most of my neighborhood's pretty hilly). It'll buzz away to almost 3500 in 2nd (I'm using pretty light throttle but the grade programming doesn't care), lock the torque converter, shift, thump, unlock the torque converter, and buzz away some more.
Yeah i'd call mine a minor flare up as well. Couple hundred rpms for a split second but still. I'm under the impression that a brand new car should shift and engage smoothly.
I'm due for a visit for something else so I'll probably just buck up and bring up the transmission again while I'm there. See if they see anything weird on their scanner. It'll at least give me some peace of mind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2017 TD slips at 20 mph, from 5th to 6th, 1000 rpm, 1 time, on the first drive. doesn't matter if i'm in D or L (with 9 selected),. Dealer couldn't find it, several times.. After initial gear shifting, it shifts normally. If car and trans cool down, it may do it again. 41k miles now. Changed fluid at about 30-35k; that didn't fix it.. I've been video recording the dash gauges, to hopefully help at the dealership. Still gets great mileage. Best here, 1 mile high, is 60 mpg for a 1 way trip, that is 60 miles. best is probably from 55 to 60 mph.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts