Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forum as a registered member but I have used the forum before for alot of valuable help.

I own a auto 2013 Chevrolet cruze 1lt 1.4l turbo
I also own a mf3 manual transmission with 38k

Why I made this post is because I'm swapping the transmission out of the cruze and putting in the manual, I know it's doable but I also know the most recommended thing is to not do so.
It's a rebuilt title, fixed everything and have done alot of things here and there to make it MY car if you understand what I mean.. That being said I won't be selling it at any point. The info that I would like are not instructions on how to do so but only and simply the parts that I would need to change aside from the transmission.. Please if you can include everything from clutch to flywheel to manual computer as a list..
I would love support instead of denial.. I know the best place to find cruze owners that know their cars well are here in this forum..

Thank you in advance, if anyone is interested I will keep posted on the progress I know the swap hasn't been done on the forum..
Once again thank you

Registered
You'll be looking at at least 4k or more to get it up and running to factory specs

Is it a reason why you want to swap it?

M/T engine harness
M/T Pedals
Cluster
reprogram the BCM
M/T pcm which will also need to be reprogrammed
M/T engine mounts and trans mounts
shift linkage
clutch and flywheel
axles
I think it's a lot more things that are needed to get it right.

Im usually the first one to say go for swaps but a M/T swap on this type of car seems like a lot of work for no gain in performance

Premium Member
Even if I had all the parts to do this swap, it would cost more(especially considering your own labor) than just fixing/selling your current ride and getting a car that already has a manual trans.

That's not to say I'm not being supportive, I just hate to see someone go down this road and end up with an unfinished car in the end that they dumped way to much money into. If you really want to do this swap, take lots of photos and post them for everyone to see!

Premium Member
It's not that bad if you do it yourself. I had a zx2 with a blown automatic that I swapped a manual into. Total cost of parts was under $800. Less than the cost to rebuild trans. Junkyard is your friend here.

Tranny
Clutch
Flywheel
The zx2 had a cam position sensor behind the flywheel that had to be changed
Master cylinder
Computer
Pedal assembly (hardest part of install lol)
Shift linkage
Shifter assembly including knob and boot
Had to do custom exhaust routing
Ignition cylinder from manual(or you have to override the park neutral key lock feature)
Cv axles may be different
That's all I can remember right now. I know it was a completely different car but a car is a car. A few things may be different but the idea is the same.
It was a lot of work but it was fun, and the car was awesome after!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Registered
They've pretty much got your list for the most part. But while your in there, might as well build the engine up some. Gonna do it do it right. Make sure you require a stage three clutch or better or it ain't worth it.

Banned
If you are going to that much work...I'd do the Regal GS engine (275hp 2.0L before any tuning) to make it worth all the labor

Registered
It's not that bad if you do it yourself. I had a zx2 with a blown automatic that I swapped a manual into. Total cost of parts was under $800. Less than the cost to rebuild trans. Junkyard is your friend here.

Tranny
Clutch
Flywheel
The zx2 had a cam position sensor behind the flywheel that had to be changed
Master cylinder
Computer
Pedal assembly (hardest part of install lol)
Shift linkage
Shifter assembly including knob and boot
Had to do custom exhaust routing
Ignition cylinder from manual(or you have to override the park neutral key lock feature)
Cv axles may be different
That's all I can remember right now. I know it was a completely different car but a car is a car. A few things may be different but the idea is the same.
It was a lot of work but it was fun, and the car was awesome after!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
this is not a zx2. This a global car it's not that easy everything has to talk to each other or it will not work. And the pedal swap really matters if GM made the firewall the same between the auto and M/T. He will also need all new lines and the master

Premium Member
reprogram the BCM
I'd suggest you research this step and figure out how it's going to get done, who is going to do it, and that they'll be willing to do it.

I'm sure you can swap all the mechanicals, but you're going to have to make the all the computers happy. I'd hate for you to get everything bolted together only to find yourself stuck at this step.

If you end up with a combination of features that could not be ordered from the factory, the dealer may not be able to do it. A tuner might be able to do it, but I'd ask a lot of questions just to be sure.

Registered
What everyone else has said, find a wrecked verano and pull EVERYTHING out of it. ECUs, wiring harnesses, engine, trans, get the keys for it, ignition stuff, starter, just literally the whole car, and get a buddy and get to work pulling stuff apart. Use painters tape to make labels and use cheat-sheets with label information and that sort of thing. If you can swap everything into the cruze, it wouldn't be bad. If you can get the keys, you may not have to get anything reprogrammed as long as you can convince the ecu that the shell hasn't changed, or, as long as the ECU doesn't realize the shell has changed, you're fine.

Premium Member
Can't wait to see if and how this project goes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Great info thanks for the help if you come up with more parts let me know.. I just need it working first not 100% oem

Resident Forum Drunkard
Hey Davisg there is a guy out in Maryland that has 2 chevy cruzens that have been wrecked and I am guessing by his enquiries here that he has every thing you should need to swap out transmissions .. look him up , 2 chevy cruzes parting out .

Premium Member
Just upgrading to Mylink appears to be much harder than straightforward, this would be an order of magnitude more difficult to accomplish. Not worth the effort, in my opinion.

Registered
I'd suggest you research this step and figure out how it's going to get done, who is going to do it, and that they'll be willing to do it.

I'm sure you can swap all the mechanicals, but you're going to have to make the all the computers happy. I'd hate for you to get everything bolted together only to find yourself stuck at this step.

If you end up with a combination of features that could not be ordered from the factory, the dealer may not be able to do it. A tuner might be able to do it, but I'd ask a lot of questions just to be sure.

Any dealer or shop that has MDI style softwear can reprogram it ranges from 200 to 400 bucks

What everyone else has said, find a wrecked verano and pull EVERYTHING out of it. ECUs, wiring harnesses, engine, trans, get the keys for it, ignition stuff, starter, just literally the whole car, and get a buddy and get to work pulling stuff apart. Use painters tape to make labels and use cheat-sheets with label information and that sort of thing. If you can swap everything into the cruze, it wouldn't be bad. If you can get the keys, you may not have to get anything reprogrammed as long as you can convince the ecu that the shell hasn't changed, or, as long as the ECU doesn't realize the shell has changed, you're fine.

a built 1.4 would be a way better and legal option at a cheaper cost.

Your looking at 2k for the 2.0 engine alone not including the trans axles harness pcm cluster mounts and programming and what ever else that would be needed to make it legal. At that cost you can build two 1.4s with forged bottom ends

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Davisg there is a guy out in Maryland that has 2 chevy cruzens that have been wrecked and I am guessing by his enquiries here that he has every thing you should need to swap out transmissions .. look him up , 2 chevy cruzes parting out .
If I can get a hold of this I'm set but If not I will purchase most of the parts separately.. I've already found a vendor but it's alot more economical to purchase a wrecked cruze but I have not yet found any around me.. Could you get me a link to that post you are referring to?

Premium Member
Any dealer or shop that has MDI style softwear can reprogram it ranges from 200 to 400 bucks
Maybe. Dealers are only set up to program factory-like cars. MT was only on the lower trim models. If he's got and wanting to keep features found only on non-MT models, he may end up with a conflict and the dealer can't do that combination.

Again, anyone doing this will want to know the answer before starting and not get surprised later.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts