Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

2012 Chevy Cruze LS 144k miles

Late December I was on the high way and hit a fox. In which damaged my front bumper on the driver side radiator and fan. Submitted a claim throgh my insurance and got it fixed.

After getting the car back from repair, I noticed that when on 6th gear around 2900 rpm the car would randomly spike up to 4000 rpm. Didn’t think to much of it. Till on Saturday when I was driving on the highway, it happened I decided to switch it over to manual shifting. The car was in 6th and I shifted down to 5th no problem, shifted down to 4th no problem. When I attempted to **** back to 5th, the car forced it self back to regular drive mode and it wouldn’t shift up. That’s when I decided to pull to the side of the road and turn the car off and let it sit for a while.

After about 5 minutes I turned the car back on and noticed the engine light was on. I started to drive to then encounter that the car wouldn’t shift from 2nd to 3rd.

Luckily, I wasn’t to far away from home so decided to drive it back. Likewise the car wouldn’t get out of 2nd gear so I’m driving back almost red lining. When coming to a full stop the car would struggle to accelerate.

When I arrived back home, I noticed that the driver side front wheel well is wet, to then noticed transmission fluid dripping from the bottom of the car. The strange thing about it was that it wasn’t coming from the area where the transmission is located. I couldn’t locate the leak.

I called OnStar so they could run a diagnostic and it came back with 2 codes P0700 and P2714. Don’t I know exactly what does mean beside someone the details that OnStar sent. Could this issue be damage that was missed during the repair being that general area was impacted?

I would greatly appreciate any knowledge shared.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Trans cooler lines are on the left as well as the cooler built into the left side of the radiator......possibly damaged from your earlier incident.
Likely a component was stressed and continued operation finished the fracture.

The trans is running out of oil and losing apply pressure......avoid driving any further till this is resolved and fluid level restored.

If this can be related to your earlier incident your insurance company can re-open the claim as a add repair.

Rob

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
The p0700 is a transmission control problem.

The p2714 is a clutch pressure control problem.

As found on google.

Both symptons probably a result of the fluid loss.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. So I took the car to my nearest Chevy dealership, my insurance adjuster called me saying that the dealership needs to prove it was damaged during the accident. How would they be able to prove that?

My concern is, the car was running flawlessly before the accident all of the sudden tge above happened. I’m just baffled about the situation at hand.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Thanks for the responses. So I took the car to my nearest Chevy dealership, my insurance adjuster called me saying that the dealership needs to prove it was damaged during the accident. How would they be able to prove that?

My concern is, the car was running flawlessly before the accident all of the sudden tge above happened. I’m just baffled about the situation at hand.
Let the dealer know that you are trying to determine the cause of the failure......if impact related or not.
A good mechanic should be able to determine if it is just a cooler line failure related to time/mileage or related to accident damage.

Because the car is six model years old and of high mileage, and, we all know cooler lines do fail, you have a 50/50 chance of it being accident related.
Your dime or the insurance dime, you still must get it repaired.

Rob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My next question to anyone who could answer it. The dealer specified that there definatly is a leak, but also that the radiator was not working and that coolant ran into the transmission and mixed together with the transmission oil. Does that make sense to anyone?

That’s what I received from the dealership, I would have more details tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
My next question to anyone who could answer it. The dealer specified that there definatly is a leak, but also that the radiator was not working and that coolant ran into the transmission and mixed together with the transmission oil. Does that make sense to anyone?

That’s what I received from the dealership, I would have more details tomorrow.
How don't know how the radiator would NOT work. But the transmission lines do indeed connect to the radiator. Something has to help the fluid keep cooler.

Pickup trucks might even add a transmission cooler in to the system. Pulling them camper trailers or whatever adds extra heat to the transmission.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
There have been situations where the internal cooler (in the radiator) have failed. The result is intermix....trans fluid mixed with coolant (in the radiator) and coolant mixed with trans fluid (in the trans).
Coolant in the trans oil will appear as a strawberry milk shake.
Trans fluid in the coolant does not mix so you see a brownish/reddish sludge in the coolant when drained into a pan.

Again, look carefully for impact damage at or near the radiator and mounting points.
Again, make it clear to the shop that a prior impact took place and you are trying to determine if a relationship to that event caused the failure.

Rob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here she the diagnostic result from Chevy.

“Verified customer concern, scanned vehicle found codes P0700, and P0842. Checked transmission fluid level and condition (trans fluid mixed with coolant and venting out). Recommend to replace transmission assembly with cooler lines and radiator. All fluids mixed and swell, rubber fibers, plastic and nylons. 9.60 for transmission replacement. It will be 5.0 hrs for radiator. Have to replace upper and lower hoses, surge tank and return to outlet.”

That being said, I think I mentioned that my radiator was already replaced during the initial repairs. What are the possibilities of someone replacing the radiator and messing up in which the above result happens where coolant gets into the radiator?

I just want to know if the body shop who originally fixed my car had something to do with this happening.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Tip of the hat to @tunwno for keeping his OnStar subscription active and knowing when and how to use it.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Here she the diagnostic result from Chevy.

“Verified customer concern, scanned vehicle found codes P0700, and P0842. Checked transmission fluid level and condition (trans fluid mixed with coolant and venting out). Recommend to replace transmission assembly with cooler lines and radiator. All fluids mixed and swell, rubber fibers, plastic and nylons. 9.60 for transmission replacement. It will be 5.0 hrs for radiator. Have to replace upper and lower hoses, surge tank and return to outlet.”

That being said, I think I mentioned that my radiator was already replaced during the initial repairs. What are the possibilities of someone replacing the radiator and messing up in which the above result happens where coolant gets into the radiator?

I just want to know if the body shop who originally fixed my car had something to do with this happening.
Very likely or the damaged radiator mucked things up and no one caught it during replacement.

Rob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts