Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nearly 1 million bikes recalled after rider paralyzed

High end front wheel bicycles typically have a quick release or toolless means to remove the front wheel, but usually wont' find this on a rear wheel that uses conventional nuts. For a flat tire on a long trip, have to carry a wrench so why can't this wrench be used on the front wheel as well?

Could call this a convenience item, ha with automotive, calling this a lot more problems item.
Never saw this type that Trek is using, usually a flat tab on a pivot, have to rotate while holding the nut on the other end so when you close it, it is very tight.

This one on the Trek can be rotate inward so the tip of it can land in one of the holes in the disk brake, bringing the bike to a rather quick stop that I would call mistake number one. Mistake number two is have this quick release on the same side of the wheel as the disc brake. My disc brake on my bike is on the opposite side. I always align my lever with the fork, would think with all these engineers and bike repair shops they would think about this possibility. Until some 45 year old guy flies over his handlebars and is paralyzed from the neck down.

Ha, flying over the handlebars by running my Shepherds for years was getting old. These dogs like to protect their masters, major problem is people leaving their dogs loose and running out toward us. My dog running on the left side would run around the front wheel, leach would jerk the front wheel 90* to to the right and airborne I would go. Always wear heavy leather gloves to break my fall. Most of the time just get up, cuss and back on the road again. But once landed on my left knee. Ouch, sucker swelled up twice the size.

So graduated myself back to a tricycle the kind with two front wheels. Butt is only a few inches off the ground, angled way back so can control my defending dog. Also keep them on a very short leach.

Ha, Walker was picking on Burke for saying Treks are made in Wisconsin where just about anything used on these bikes except the frame is imported. Been this way since day one, the British invented the so-called light weight bike, but Japan took over on all the accessories that now comes from China.

These parts are banged out by the millions by automated assembly, this can be done here if the IRS wasn't taxing them to death. Where assembly is required, just slapped together any old way, does take a bit to set them up properly, and very stingy on the grease using some cheap crap. Son insisted grandpa buy a bike in the box for his granddaughter. First thing I had to do was to completely dissemble everything for proper grease and adjustment.

With all the part lying neatly on my shop floor, first tool I had to grab was my spoke wrench, can't even do this right, wheels have to run true.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the only kind of quick release I am familiar with.

Has the ridge on the inside of the lever that hits that collar and vertical in relation to the ground is as far as you can push it in. Can be rotated 360 degrees, but like it aligned with the fork. Wonder why Trek changed this designed.

See on some new bikes, making that lever out of plastic now, wonder how strong that is?

Trend today is not to make things better, but cheaper and the price keeps on going up that translates into making more profits.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If the user takes off the front wheel and does not lock the lever in place properly when they put the wheel back on is the only time the lever can interfere with the brakes. It's a user error thing, not a design error. Details on how to correctly attach the wheel and lever placement are clearly shown and discussed in the owners manual. Kudos to Trek for the recall that they didn't really need to do. It's too bad that some people have gotten badly injured. Front wheels from improperly secured quick-releases have been falling off bikes and causing injuries for years. Almost 100% are user error.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts