Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
901 - 920 of 938 Posts

·
Vendor
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #901 ·
Well, my tune is ready but now I'm waiting on my cable. One thing I didn't realize and it is my fault for not researching it better is that I need a laptop to accomplish this. I should have read up on this more now. So what I thought was a good price is now going to be more expensive since a laptop is going to have to be purchased. Live and learn.

I have had a tune done on my truck but it was with EFILive and I have an Autocal for that. I guess my head was thinking I could use the Autocal. Again, should have researched this more.

Now to find a nice inexpensive laptop. :)
Some people (including myself) use a small windows tablet to keep in the car for this. Something like the Dell Venue 8 is usually only about $100-$150. Really, as long as it has a decent processor, 1-2GB RAM, and runs the full version of Windows (not TR), you are golden :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Couple of questions.
1. Since Advatage tune power gains were based on 91 octane, will there be anymore performance gains if using 93 octane for the Advantage tune. I don't have 91 octane available in my area. I'm sure that this has been answered, I just didn't feel like looking through the 91 posts.

2. With Advantage tune, does the calibration file that is downloaded contain from my account contain both the performance and stock tune? Because there is only one *.TRTX file. I'm pretty sure that I uploaded my stock tune for my ECM and TCM, by using the Read Controller -> Read ECM and Read TCM. I saved them as ECM.TRTX and TCM.TRTX. I also viewed them with Hexview and they are definitely binary files. Maybe they aren't, but in case I need to reflash my stock tune, I want to know where it is.

3. When I flash the advantage tune, I heard someone mention selecting transparency mode so the update doesn't leave any evidence of a reflash. Is this true?

4. The datalog log, I assume that allows a person to log data for however long they chose to. Does this log contain data such a boost and timing?

Thanks,
Charles

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
4. The datalog log, I assume that allows a person to log data for however long they chose to. Does this log contain data such a boost and timing?
It does, along with many other data points, but there isn't anything you can do with it since they don't allow you to view the logs (unless something has recently changed)

·
Registered
151 Posts
It does, along with many other data points, but there isn't anything you can do with it since they don't allow you to view the logs (unless something has recently changed)
So we can't view the datalogs, unless under said circumstance.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
So we can't view the datalogs, unless under said circumstance.
nope. Unless trifecta has changed their stance on it. You can get an old version of ezflash and use the datalog viewer I wrote, but it won't work with newer versions. Well, it might, I have not tried. But you can.

Or, just go with Diablo InTune and datalog all you want and use the data viewer they provide. It's really good and there are other benefits too.

Not letting customers view data logs is a silly policy IMO, especially since competing products provide those features.

·
Registered
151 Posts
nope. Unless trifecta has changed their stance on it. You can get an old version of ezflash and use the datalog viewer I wrote, but it won't work with newer versions. Well, it might, I have not tried. But you can.

Or, just go with Diablo InTune and datalog all you want and use the data viewer they provide. It's really good and there are other benefits too.

Not letting customers view data logs is a silly policy IMO, especially since competing products provide those features.
I have access to other tools, through work, to read the CAN bus. I have an OBDII cable to db9 connector to connect to a Vector CANCaseXL which has a CAN transceiver, and a program called CANalyzer with dbc file from GM that scales all the signals transmitted from the ECM, TCM and all other modules on the HS bus. Just in case I want to view data.

·
Vendor
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #907 ·
Couple of questions.
1. Since Advatage tune power gains were based on 91 octane, will there be anymore performance gains if using 93 octane for the Advantage tune. I don't have 91 octane available in my area. I'm sure that this has been answered, I just didn't feel like looking through the 91 posts.

2. With Advantage tune, does the calibration file that is downloaded contain from my account contain both the performance and stock tune? Because there is only one *.TRTX file. I'm pretty sure that I uploaded my stock tune for my ECM and TCM, by using the Read Controller -> Read ECM and Read TCM. I saved them as ECM.TRTX and TCM.TRTX. I also viewed them with Hexview and they are definitely binary files. Maybe they aren't, but in case I need to reflash my stock tune, I want to know where it is.

3. When I flash the advantage tune, I heard someone mention selecting transparency mode so the update doesn't leave any evidence of a reflash. Is this true?

Thanks,
Charles
Hello,

1) The difference between 91/93 is negligible. Might you see slightly better WOT performance? Yes. Will it be enough to notice? Probably not.
2) Yes, we always include the stock calibration for your vehicle in the calibration file. It's embedded. We do this for all our products. You are asked during the install to select between the two.
3) Sort of. Even if you don't select transparency the ECM portion of the flash will still be undetectable and not leave any traces behind. However, when selecting the transcparency option, it will modify the paramaeters and extend that to all the modules being flashed.
4) Data logging generates a file that only we can open and interpret. It is only needed for times when you modify your vehicle and require a revision to the programming. In order for you to view the parameters you would have to use a third party application along with an OBDII Bluetooth adapter.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hello,

1) The difference between 91/93 is negligible. Might you see slightly better WOT performance? Yes. Will it be enough to notice? Probably not.
2) Yes, we always include the stock calibration for your vehicle in the calibration file. It's embedded. We do this for all our products. You are asked during the install to select between the two.
3) Sort of. Even if you don't select transparency the ECM portion of the flash will still be undetectable and not leave any traces behind. However, when selecting the transcparency option, it will modify the paramaeters and extend that to all the modules being flashed.
4) Data logging generates a file that only we can open and interpret. It is only needed for times when you modify your vehicle and require a revision to the programming. In order for you to view the parameters you would have to use a third party application along with an OBDII Bluetooth adapter.
Thank you. I just wanted to make sure that the octane, if 93, is fully utilized and I'm not blowing hydrocarbons out the tail pipe.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Is there a way to remove the speed limiter?
I'll let you know here in a week or so, I finish off my tank of 87 or at least down to an 1/8th of tank and top it off with 93 octane. Then I'll really jump on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So, I've been browsing the forum, and I'm intrigued with the prospect of better shifting and increased power for less than $300, but I'm unclear exactly how the program works. I have a few questions.

I see that a "flash loader" device is included. Is anything else needed to install a tune?

$299 is near my break off point of interest. Is it really $299, or are there any other non obvious expenses to this tune?

Seems to me the posts are written as if the audience should already have a familiarity with tunes. I don't. Can someone give me a blathering idiot's step by step rundown on the process or direct me to a good review/instruction set? If it helps, I have a '13 ltz automatic 1.4l.

Is this product transferable by the original owner? In other words, can it be resold at a later point?

Thanks for any and all help. :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm also new to the tune world. And have no clue what is needed to get it going.
i'm guessing the cable that hooks the car to the usb port on a computer is included in the package.
I'm also guessing that a Win10 laptop with 2gigs of ram, and a 32gig hard drive is going to be enough to handle the program.

Could you please inform the 'newb' crowd what all comes with the $299 tune? And what computer platforms it will run on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
@spacemule @newsguy99 I'd never installed a tune on a car I've owned before the Cruze, and it couldn't be simpler. All you need is the red flash cable which is included, and a Windows laptop (I'm running Windows 8, but I believe you can be on xp or vista at the lowest). That's it. Just run the program on your laptop and wait for it to finish loading the tune to your car. Also, the tune can't be sold, as it's written to your specific VIN, but the red ez-flash cable can.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Installing this tune is VERY VERY simple. Its like updating your computer, you just have click on a couple menus....very easy and you use your own laptop.

I have the advantage....base stock tune. I have stock+ and the tune mode (tour) and I love the power.Basically from stock.......the car starts pulling after 2k and just withers down all the way to 5k. With the tune, she starts to pull at 2k....and keeps pulling all the way to 5k. I noticed 1 and 2 and gear aren't as aggressive because I heard WOT mention that they do that so we don't fry out stock clutch (thanks for looking out). Regardless, I noticed also how my fuel MPG has gone down even in STOCK + but I believe its more accurate. The DIC avg mpg reader, avg mph, and miles menu usually read a 3%-5% increase in MPG vs calculating at the pump (miles driven/gal filled up @click). Regardless, the car doesn't bog down going into 3rd in either tune and I was impressed they were able to do that to the car. I will try to put up a video about the tune as I use up this tank......I guess I'm having too much fun with it and my MPG is reflecting it lol. Car still get over 42 mpg driving 70+ mph.....and for the added power and refinement, its a compromise I'm willing to make.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Had a quick question:

Before installing the tune, I saw allow "TRANSPARENCY MODE" box that had an option of being checked. Is that where the car a switches the tunes automatically without driver input? Much thanks in advance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In my personal opinion, the $455 Canadian that I spent on my adv+ tune was more than worth it.. the gains are true as stated by WOT and it truly feels like a different car! As stated above.. no more bogging in 3rd, the shifts are SOOOOOO MUCH SMOOTHER!! Even my girl who laughed when I told her I tuned my Cruze, complimented the tune as she admitted that there was a ton more power and far better/smoother shifting! Installation is exactly as stated above, as easy as installing a program on your laptop.. Get one, get one, get one!!!! LOL!

·
Vendor
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #918 ·
Had a quick question:

Before installing the tune, I saw allow "TRANSPARENCY MODE" box that had an option of being checked. Is that where the car a switches the tunes automatically without driver input? Much thanks in advance.
Transparency is to ensure that everything remains hidden and compatibility is maintained with all other modules in the vehicle.

·
Vendor
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #919 ·
In my personal opinion, the $455 Canadian that I spent on my adv+ tune was more than worth it.. the gains are true as stated by WOT and it truly feels like a different car! As stated above.. no more bogging in 3rd, the shifts are SOOOOOO MUCH SMOOTHER!! Even my girl who laughed when I told her I tuned my Cruze, complimented the tune as she admitted that there was a ton more power and far better/smoother shifting! Installation is exactly as stated above, as easy as installing a program on your laptop.. Get one, get one, get one!!!! LOL!
Awesome, glad to hear you are still enjoying the calibration! Thanks for the positive feedback!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'll let you know here in a week or so, I finish off my tank of 87 or at least down to an 1/8th of tank and top it off with 93 octane. Then I'll really jump on it.
Thanks but I was asking the WOT Tuning rep seeing as I already have the tune and have hit the limit.

P.S. is there a discount if we already purchased the WOT tune but would like the bnr tune?

901 - 920 of 938 Posts