Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,

Straight to the point, I'd like to know what would be your input or experience on towing with the Trifecta tune. Looking to see if the extra boost would arm the vehicle when under extra pressure of towing a small trailer with a motorcycle. Not looking to go 100mph while towing just would like to see the car work less at highway speeds.

I know the subject of towing with a Cruze has been mentioned a few times and I am not here to ask if I should tow or not with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It'll be fine. We aren't talking all that much extra load, especially while cruising, and acceleration is short lived.
Thanks Bud. I'll probably give this thread a few more days see other feedback if any and probably order it then.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Recently installed the Trifecta selectable tune on the M6 ECO. Drove to Chicago yesterday with five passengers, air conditioning on, full tank, and 40 pounds of gear in the trunk. Before the tune, the car would have been a slug-bug. With the tune, the full load with air conditioner on seemed to have no effect on the car. It seemed to pull effortlessly from stops and in traffic. It didn't matter much whether I selected the economy or the performance mode. Both modes felt like they increased the torque markedly. I don't see any 87 or 89 octane gas in my car's future. This was all with 93 in the tank.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I tow a small utility trailer with a ride on mower and the extra hp and trq would help out a ton.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Recently installed the Trifecta selectable tune on the M6 ECO. Drove to Chicago yesterday with five passengers, air conditioning on, full tank, and 40 pounds of gear in the trunk. Before the tune, the car would have been a slug-bug. With the tune, the full load with air conditioner on seemed to have no effect on the car. It seemed to pull effortlessly from stops and in traffic. It didn't matter much whether I selected the economy or the performance mode. Both modes felt like they increased the torque markedly. I don't see any 87 or 89 octane gas in my car's future. This was all with 93 in the tank.
Thanks for your reply. Was the engine running warmer than usual?

I've been told pushing more boost in an engine without an inter-cooler might increase chances of over heating.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,304 Posts
Your engine has a stock air-to-air intercooler already built in.

The car will keep the water temperatures down if run at a heavy load - it uses a thermostat that is computer-controlled and will change the temp the engine is running at in response to load/knock conditions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The cruze has an intercooler, unless your referring to a FMIC.
Ok just looked myself under the hood and didn't see an intercooler and assumed it didn't had one. Saw a youtube video who show's it going through what seems to be the engine coolant radiator. I'm fairly mechanically inclined as I do my own work on out of warranty vehicles but turbos are new to me.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,304 Posts
Ok just looked myself under the hood and didn't see an intercooler and assumed it didn't had one. Saw a youtube video who show's it going through what seems to be the engine coolant radiator. I'm fairly mechanically inclined as I do my own work on out of warranty vehicles but turbos are new to me.
It's in front of the radiator, sandwiched to it.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
It's in front of the radiator, sandwiched to it.
Yep its mounted between the ac condenser(front) and radiator in back. You can follow the air charge pipes from the turbo into the intercooler on the passenger side of the car, they come back out the drivers side and work their way back to the intake/throttle body on the back side of the engine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok makes more sense now. Sounds tempting to give it a try more than ever now! Hehehe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Was the engine running warmer than usual?

I've been told pushing more boost in an engine without an inter-cooler might increase chances of over heating.
I didn't monitor the coolant temperature during the trip. There was no CEL or other warning lights to indicating trouble I am happy to report. Considering how the coolant temperature has reacted at other times I have no reason to believe it was elevated on this trip. We kept moving so air flow was good both ways.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts