Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a '12 Eco MT. Just added the Trifecta Tune and am fudging around with all this new found power. Heard about the feature and am too **** scared to try it. Anybody got a video using the feature with their manual cruze? I'm youtubing all these cars that supposedly have it and yet they don't have turbos (mostly NA) AND they all immediately redline and bounce of the rev limiter. Lemme know what you think/find/have! I noticed that the cruze will hold rpms when not using the clutch to shift and that is an awesome feature! How does the no lift shift and this feature combined work out? Lemme know of your experience or am I just being stupid at 2am.
Mike

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
Based on the only no lift shift review I've seen on here resulted in a blown transmission, I would highly recommend against it.

Sent from my Phablet. Excuse the grammurr.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I tried it. Never again. Don't do it.

Sent from my Note 3

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Trifecta has no lift shift? Since when? Anyome who tries it and doesnt have it in their tune (and Just bounces off the limiter) is an idiot. That's an easy road to a blown trans. With that said. If you're tuned for it, it can be a neat little feature. When you say the cruze holds revs when you shift, how long does it hold? I believe the cruze has a pretty hefty flywheel to keep the revs from plummeting between shifts

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
It states right in the description that it has the no lift shift feature when purchasing the tune.

This was from BadNews Racing

Sent from my Note 3

·
Premium Member
173 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Yes Trifecta offers No-Lift-Shift on the 1.4T. It's actually a stock feature on several GM engines.

Stock if you try to NLS the ECM dumps boost as soon as the clutch is put to the floor, then when you let out of the clutch it's got to rebuild boost.It doesn't take long but its time with reduced power none the less. When I tried it on a stock tune for shits and giggles and it felt quite harsh and likely put alot of shock load on the trans.

With the NLS programming the engine keeps boost during the shift, it also switches to a different rev control strategy during the NLS. If done correctly an NLS should be butter smooth and the revs shouldn't come up much during the shift.

Also note that the NLS programming is only active for a short amount of time and also won't work below a certain RPM. You have to shift fast and above like 4k RPM for it to work.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
However, its a bit gimmicky on the Cruze as the tune may have activated this but the clutch is not prepared or built for this. I did some testing with this and you'll end up with a smelly clutch from burning.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Totally don't do it. Lol. Unless you want a new transmission. I regret trying it with only 1K on my new '14.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I could see the clutch blowing.But if someone is good with the manual trans it should hold up.There is enough tuned out there being beat on and i havent heard of them blowing up? But i do think the auto trans is a better option for tuning and adding mods.A lot of those are running in the 240TQ range without problems.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
How do you engage this? I was trying last night and whenever I hit the clutch my engine kept revving... such isn't right

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Yup. That's it. Don't do it anymore.

Sent from my Note 3

·
Vendor
980 Posts
It's supposed to keep revving.

Normally when you power shift the car will hit the rev limiter and the throttle body will close, killing boost. When you power shift with our NLS enabled the car will still hit the rev limiter but the throttle body will remain open and the ECM will use a combination of fueling and spark as the rev limiter. This keeps the turbocharger in full boost between gears so you do not have to wait for it to respool in the next gear.

The feature came stock on the Cobalt SS/HHR SS and we have carried it over to the 1.4T cars via an operating system modification. There are several Sonics using it, including the fastest 1.4T in the world.

Keep in mind the feature activates after 5000RPM and only at wide open throttle. You need to keep your foot 100% to the floor when you do it.

You may or may not hear a back fire when you do it. 1-2 back fires is normal, anymore than that and you did it wrong.

Here's a demo- ZZP Turbo Swap LNF Dyno - YouTube

EDIT: One more thing- DO NOT DO THIS IF THE ENGINE IS NOT WARMED UP. If you do this with a cold motor you will get bad misfires, the CEL will blink, and you could hurt the motor.

Reactions: LS1LOL

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have done it a few times on my Cruze Eco. I don't even have AMSOIL in my transmission yet and I had no issues shifting it. I have a few years experience under my belt driving my 500+HP Camaro, but come on guys...it's not THAT hard to do it!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have done it a few times on my Cruze Eco. I don't even have AMSOIL in my transmission yet and I had no issues shifting it. I have a few years experience under my belt driving my 500+HP Camaro, but come on guys...it's not THAT hard to do it!
I agree except that the 2nd gear syncro sucks at least on the Eco. Any other gear change is pretty easy to no lift shift. The reality is that the 1.4T is a pretty slow reving engine. I'm not trying to insult anyone, but reading posts on this forum makes me believe almost nobody here has been around fast cars. No amount of tuning is going to make a Cruze a fast car.

·
Registered
316 Posts
While no amount of tuning will make the cruze a truly fast car, no amount of power will make most fast cars get 40+ mpg on the highway either. Many here have weekend play toys that wholeheartedly embarrass the cruze but that doesnt mean we cant enjoy driving our cruze fast. Personally for a compact car with its front seat room and comfort, capable of 40+ mpg and running high 14 low 15 quarters, its plenty quick enough for a daily driver. I have an 06 C6 Z51 cammed, long tube headers, ported TB, Fast LSX intake manifold, and tuned and I could outrun my cruze at partial throttle all day long. however at 6'6" its honestly a bit of squeeze for me for long trips and isnt exactly commuter friendly with the spec stage 3 clutch. Around town the torque of my cruze makes it feel quicker than most v6 cars and I can take most hills in my area of appalachian mountains in 6th gear all day long.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My car has over 20 1/4 mile passes on it. All those passes NLS was used.

I currently have no issues. My car makes 226ft/lbs on a Mustang dyno.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
You're correct, they're not going to cover something that's broken under what is considered abusive driving. Which would be what NLS shifting would be considered.

That's not to say It's going to cause a failure, just the reality of things. Some Older performance cars and all motocross bikes are sold brand new without a warranty, doesn't mean they're going to fail, they're just expected to be run in abusive conditions.

Although NLS is a standard feature on some GM cars, which is somewhat telling.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts