Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys, bought the trifecta tune for my 2013 eco during the black Friday sale and got the cable free. finally got around to installing it Sunday. background on the car: 2013 cruze eco 6spd manual 6781 miles (still a baby lol). zzp intake and the mtec short throw, 93octane since the first fill-up, and the spark plugs gapped to .032". had the tune setup for the collar removed in the intake.

Well had some really weird driving issues, turbo surges/blows off constantly under boost even in the low boost cruise mode but not as bad. then it wouldn't rev above 5k, then it set a p0171 fuel system lean. then it wouldn't even accelerate. so it flashed back to stock with the collar reinstalled. I've sent a message to BNR and I know that trifecta and them will take care of me.

im just wondering why am I having a drivability issue when im not the first to have this pretty basic setup. I know it will get worked out. im just curious

·
Registered
481 Posts
This is my worry about a tune! Hope you get it figured out man.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm hoping they can help soon, they are close until tomorrow and I can only imagine the backlog of people waiting. Slightly disappointed that I have a tune I can't even use yet :/

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I just replaced them today with the NGK BKR7E 4644 gapped to .028 with a feeler gauge

I measured the stock plugs and it was more like .035 oops

so giants nation you think that it would run the tune fine now if I loaded it?

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Sent my ecm info in. Waiting to hear back so I can chime in on this.

Sent from my Note 3

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well took it for a 6 mile drive with a few rips on and off the freeway, didn't surge once.... Spark plugs and the gap made all the difference. Just need to drive it more to be sure it's fixed and that no check engine light comes on again, but once the roads finally get cleared of all the remaining snow I can datalog. im so glad it was just that

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Those of us that have improved the grounding on our cars can run slightly larger spark plug gaps with the Trifecta Premium tune. I am at .030, others are running larger gaps. Otherwise - .027 to .028 is what is recommended.

·
Registered
118 Posts
how do you know you have no issues? Oh that's right you can't data log.
I dont need data logging to detect blowout. I've owned 5 different turbo vehicles. All of which were modified. The cruze is my commuter/family car. I have a street bike for speed. You may be able to datalog but you don't know what to do with it besides send it to Trifecta. On hondata I would datalog and make changes myself in realtime.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Wrong again rice boy, Xtreme developed a program for us to monitor data logs.

I call BS on .035. Not happening with a tune. Get a new gauge.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Wrong again rice boy, Xtreme developed a program for us to monitor data logs.

I call BS on .035. Not happening with a tune. Get a new gauge.
That wasn't me who developed it. It was another Gearhead with titan in his name if I remember correctly.

I am running 0.035" tuned with copper plugs. If I was getting any misfires or "blowout", believe me I'd know. I felt it back when I tried 0.040 on the stock tune so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm looking for.

Copper is a better conductor than Iridium, and I also have a Big 3 wiring kit installed.

Sent from mobile.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
With copper plugs and the Big 3, I might see how .035 is possible but that's still a large gap and the benefits are questionable. I'd much rather see .030 or .032 with those mods.

The original OP never mentioned these mods so I'm standing my ground with .027 or .028.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts