Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to pit the two companies against eachother, but can anybody help me decide which is better? From what I understand, if you buy the cable from Trifecta, you can use your own laptop for both data logging and flashing at any time. If you buy from Vermont, you get the autocal device that can interface with either your Cruze or laptop at any given time, so it appears both solutions are identical.

I'm completly new to digital tuning, so any more clarifications would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, which of the two companies gives you the better tune as far as HP and torque?

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...dyno tests provide HP and TORQUE numbers.

...owners provide opinions and testimonies.

...but, the final decision is ultimately yours.

...have you done any searches here yet?

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Well only one includes a transmission tune. Be sure to consider that in your analysis. VTuner is also a handheld tuner that doesn't require a laptop - could be a pro for you. There's a lot to go into the two

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm located in DE. Have done plenty of searches on the forums here, but find some of the technical jargon confusing. I'm in the IT field and would be completly comfortable with utilizing my laptop with either the Trifecta cable or the Vermont autocal device.

Basically I want the capability to flash to the stock or tuned configurations whenever I'd like and I want a tune that will not damage any of the engine components.

I'm also looking into a catback exhaust when available and maybe a cold air intake and would hope the digital tune could handle those modifications without a re-tune as well.

Thanks again.

·
Supporting Vendor
615 Posts
Just as an idea, there are authorized tuners for trifecta is NJ, RI, and CT, so you could drive to them to get the tune. Also, Trifecta offers the gt tuner which is a handheld.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hmmm well if vermont tuning has an "autocal" that means EFI live has software... interesting... very interesting... guess as soon as my car gets here im reading out the file ;)

·
Registered
556 Posts
hmmm well if vermont tuning has an "autocal" that means EFI live has software... interesting... very interesting... guess as soon as my car gets here im reading out the file ;)

This is true efilive does have the ability to work on the Cruze....This is great news for me as my buddies own a tuning company....I may just get a tune on my Cruze yet

Would probably be a economy tune though!!

·
Banned
355 Posts
I for one am interested on HOW these guys are accessing the TCM. Are we tuning it, or is it "tuning itself". Hats off if you hacked the T76 (I think that's what it is).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Its seems I need to talk to Vince about reselling ecm files, and putting my tantrix cable to use

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
I for one am interested on HOW these guys are accessing the TCM. Are we tuning it, or is it "tuning itself". Hats off if you hacked the T76 (I think that's what it is).
apparently the tcm is accessible via the obd2 port, and vince has essentially hacked it to change shift points and increase shift pressure

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts
I'm located in DE. Have done plenty of searches on the forums here, but find some of the technical jargon confusing. I'm in the IT field and would be completly comfortable with utilizing my laptop with either the Trifecta cable or the Vermont autocal device.

Basically I want the capability to flash to the stock or tuned configurations whenever I'd like and I want a tune that will not damage any of the engine components.

I'm also looking into a catback exhaust when available and maybe a cold air intake and would hope the digital tune could handle those modifications without a re-tune as well.

Thanks again.
I can tune, and I live in VA beach... I just order the tunes from Vince, and I own the Tactrix cable. Only thing is my windows is emulated on my MacBook Pro, so we may have to use your computer. Lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just the tune alone on the tranny was well worth it for me. I hated the shift points and having the M mode now for sportier shifting is a + as well. Realistically the other company isnt really going to give you 10-15 WHP more anyway unless they mess with the boost more or know something that someone else doesnt and Trifecta knows there Sh*t. Also the customer service from them is incredible they reply back to you immediatly when you need help and the directions are super easy to follow. So again as stated above this is just opinion and my own experience but in the end its your decision nothing taken away from the other company.

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts
Just the tune alone on the tranny was well worth it for me. I hated the shift points and having the M mode now for sportier shifting is a + as well. Realistically the other company isnt really going to give you 10-15 WHP more anyway unless they mess with the boost more or know something that someone else doesnt and Trifecta knows there Sh*t. Also the customer service from them is incredible they reply back to you immediatly when you need help and the directions are super easy to follow. So again as stated above this is just opinion and my own experience but in the end its your decision nothing taken away from the other company.
I second this- Vince has the best customer service of anyone I've seen yet. You're not just buying the tune, you're getting free updates if needed and help with any issues you run into almost immediately.

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Cruze 1.8 (soon to be 1.8t) LS... white
787 Posts
I second this- Vince has the best customer service of anyone I've seen yet. You're not just buying the tune, you're getting free updates if needed and help with any issues you run into almost immediately.
I know which one I'll be going with. :goodjob:

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
while I can't make the decision for you I am very happy with the trifecta Tune and support

·
Registered
104 Posts
While this is an old thread, I have to point out that nobody has really given a Vermont Tune a chance yet (as far as I know, no one on this forum has ordered a VTuner yet). And that guy was extremely informative and gave a lot of details about what he did to the Cal. My point being that he certainly has a good track record/history behind him as well and also appears to have solid customer service reviews (as per feedback at his website or facebook page).

As far as choosing one over the other, Trifecta is pushing out more torque and has way more cars that it has been run on, but VTuner's tune is within the reported torque rating of the transmission.

Myself, I am slowly breaking down exactly how the changes made by each of the tuners are changing engine conditions inside the Fam0 and what that could mean for longterm engine health. Analyzing them has been a bit of a hobby and an interesting way for me to learn more about modern engines. If I do find that the tunes don't significantly compromise long term engine health, then I will get one closer to the end of my warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
i personally went with trifecta given the their track record on here. I am way more satisfied with the car with tune then how chevy gave it to me. I do not think it will cause premature wear on the car mostly because I dont beat on it every day. I forget i even have a tune installed.

·
Banned
355 Posts
I have found through the years that a properly tuned and maintained engine not fail or become significantly damaged even if driven aggressively. Personally I'd be much more concerned with a bad tune short term than a high power smooth tune on the long run. There are also certain benefits to beating on an engine every now and then, but of course the extra wear outweighs them. IMO, the tiny displacement is not necessarily the end of performance and reliability at high boost, although it doesn't help. I daily drove a 500 hp 1.3 liter for 4 years... ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts