Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a trip to Mississippi from Northern Illinois a couple weeks ago. Had a good time visiting good friends. 660 miles one way and put on 1500+ miles overall. I averaged 38.1 MPG overall and 40MPG on the way home with 80% being interstate driving @ 73MPH. I noticed the oil % was 27% when I left and 23% when I got back home. So that's 4% drop for 1500 miles. I changed the oil when I got back because I'm on the 5k plan. She now has 10.3k on her. I just thought a 4% drop was low for that many miles. Oh and this is on a 2013 1.4LT

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,264 Posts
Not at all Highway mileage would fall under the nonsevere srevice on the oil . now if you were exceeding the speed limits a bit then you would consider that severe service on your oil ..
It is the city driving with all of the stops and starts that produce a severe service longevity of the oils duration .

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that's a well known fact, but as stated +/- 20% wasn't highway driving. Since I've owned the cruze I've noticed in cold weather the oil % drops faster. Temps on my trip were 80s during the day and 50s at night with the exception of when I left Illinois I believe it was near 40.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Yes that's a well known fact, but as stated +/- 20% wasn't highway driving. Since I've owned the cruze I've noticed in cold weather the oil % drops faster. Temps on my trip were 80s during the day and 50s at night with the exception of when I left Illinois I believe it was near 40.
Your all hwy route with a fully warmed up engine running under 2500RPM was not hard on your oil at all, the DIC oil life monitor percent drop is a good indicator of that. I typically drive 65-70% hwy and at 5000 miles my oil hasn't even went fully black yet. Yes I know black oil doesn't mean its broke down but if it hasn't even changed colors fully I would assume its still in excellent shape. At 5K my oil is always still amber colored.

When I went down to Texas in 2012 I drove though Illinois Then took I-55 to I-40 through Arkansas. Got 38mpg at 70mph From Wisconsin to the Texas boarder, bumped my speed up to 85mph and dropped to 31mpg, overall my 1500 mile route averaged 36mpg+. On the way home I did 82mph the entire way until I hit Kansas City, then 75mph the rest of the way home. Much colder temps(15-30F vs 40-80F), head wind and higher speed I only averaged 32mpg on the way home.

My 1LT auto wants to be going 68-72mph max for MPG. Throw in some 45-65mph 2 lane highway and the numbers are even higher.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spacedout my rpm @ 73mph was 2550 with my auto trans. Perhaps the manual would be 50-100 less?
Anyway I hear you about the 2 lane driving. I did some of it while down south. My friends live in the country. At 50-55mph I get 50+mpg. On the way there my mpg was 35ish IIRC and kept increasing while there. Going through Memphis on 55 to 240 east to Lamar Ave then eventually to 78(future I-22)there's quite a few stop lights/traffic to the Mississippi boder. While there and the way home my average trip mpg kept increasing.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Spacedout my rpm @ 73mph was 2550 with my auto trans.
Though not under 2500RPM its still relativity low, think my 2004 Cavalier 2.2 ecotec 4 speed auto was over 3000RPM at that speed. I was assuming 70mph was under 2500RPM, think 72mph is right at 2500RPM.

BTW love the Day of the Tentacle avatar spacedout. Looking forward to the remake too?
Yes, I have always been a fan of the Maniac Mansion & the squeal and though it was time for a avatar change. I was surprised anyone else knew of said purple tentacle.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
My 2003 S-10 4.3 V6 runs [email protected] auto trans.
Right, it also makes allot more power at lower RPM. My friends 2009 Silverado 4.8L V8 with 4 speed auto and 3.42 gears, only turns like 1500RPM at 75mph. Every 4 cylinder car I have owned with an automatic is turning at least 2800-3000RPM at 70mph. Larger engine always cruise at lower RPM, I suspect this is part of the reason V6 hwy MPG isn't much worse than a 4 cylinder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts