1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trouble holding Boost?

Hey all,

I've got a 2013 @LT RS BNR Tuned Cruze.
I think I'm having trouble holding boost...
During heavy highway acceleration in tuned mode, usually 4th or 5th gear, it sounds and feels like the BOV is letting go a little bit every 3-4 seconds.
Is this a common problem?
Should I consult BNR on this?
Looking for suggestions and/or remedies.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
how many miles and did you upgrade the BOV from stock?

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
Sounds like your wastegate is going bad, take the tune off and take it to your dealer, if it is the wastegate you'll get a whole new turbo covered under warranty. Also, if it is your wastegate, please understand that your tune had absolutely no part in causing the problem, the 1.4Ts have been known to have a faulty wastegate, although it usually happens with more miles on the engine.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,534 Posts
Boost fluctuating in that manner is usually because the engine is knocking and backing off power temporarily.

What are your plugs gapped at? Are you running 91 or 93 octane?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you say "tuned mode" do you mean "sport mode"? Does this occur in Eco mode? Lastly, before bring to the dealer, test to see if it will do the same thing w/o the tune (flashed back to stock).
Yes, I mean sport mode. In ECO, it does not happen at all. I also find it odd that it doesn't seem to do it in the lower gears... I haven't tried it without the tune, but I'll have to look into that, although I'm willing to bet that it won't be reproduced in stock...

Boost fluctuating in that manner is usually because the engine is knocking and backing off power temporarily.

What are your plugs gapped at? Are you running 91 or 93 octane?
Plugs are gapped appropriately... One of the first things I checked when I got the car.
I'm running 91... Highest you can get here in Canuckland.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Do you have datalog support? If so make a datalog with a few WOT runs in 4-5th gear and send it in for analysis, also mention the symptoms.

Then flash back to stock or stay out of the throttle until you get a response back.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
What i would do to rule out knock retard is add Lucas octane booster to a test tank of fuel.That will bring 91 octane up to a true 94 octane.Only try the one tank because the booster will ruin the cat converter with repeated use.See how it runs on the test tank.These engines are very octane dependant when there tuned for sure.And to make the most power 93 is by far the best.But if its not available to you there is not much you can do about that.If you could scan it you would know if knock retard is present.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
I've got a similar issue. Put the car back to stock, took it to the dealer, and they claim nothing is wrong. But they're full of ****.

I plan to get a datalog soon that I can send in. Just need to plan a time when not going to/from work...

I replaced my BOV during all of this (just after I got it back from the dealer)- it is a little better, but it seems to be lacking. Doesn't seem to have the pickup like it used to, and mileage is down slightly.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I just went through this exact issue. With the EXACT symptoms.No codes, no CEL light just intermittent loss of boost and audible bpv release. It mostly done it on my car when it was either hot out or when i had driven for extended periods of time. I was getting a TON of oil blowby. Enough that it was pushing oil out every point of the intake tract where there was a coupling, hot/cold side charge piping, Throttle Body.... it eventually was covering the whole back of my engine and trans. This was what finally was enough to get them to replace the turbo without a CEL. Now Im running perfect. I conjectured that the seals were bad which was letting excessive amounts of oil by. when in high boost mode the extra oil was so much that it was starting to block the intercooler and cover the boost sensor and map sensor causing off readings. The turbo then worked harder to produce requested boost levels, which then caused more blowby... see the cycle here? new turbo happy cruze :) just took finding a great dealer who worked with me and understood that not everything depends on a CEL light and what their computer tells them.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I'm glad that your issue was found and repaired Prince_bigd.

Please PM us if you need any dealership assistance Sunline Fan.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just went through this exact issue. With the EXACT symptoms.No codes, no CEL light just intermittent loss of boost and audible bpv release. It mostly done it on my car when it was either hot out or when i had driven for extended periods of time. I was getting a TON of oil blowby. Enough that it was pushing oil out every point of the intake tract where there was a coupling, hot/cold side charge piping, Throttle Body.... it eventually was covering the whole back of my engine and trans. This was what finally was enough to get them to replace the turbo without a CEL. Now Im running perfect. I conjectured that the seals were bad which was letting excessive amounts of oil by. when in high boost mode the extra oil was so much that it was starting to block the intercooler and cover the boost sensor and map sensor causing off readings. The turbo then worked harder to produce requested boost levels, which then caused more blowby... see the cycle here? new turbo happy cruze :) just took finding a great dealer who worked with me and understood that not everything depends on a CEL light and what their computer tells them.
I'll have to check for this... Where were you noticing the oil and how noticable was it?

Just to clarify, you are trifecta tuned?
Did the dealer give you any troubles when addressing the issue with regards to the tune and/or reproducing the symptoms?

Personally, I thought that it might be overboosting... (if that's such a thing?) and it was releasing due to the excess.
I'm going to have to datalog and send it in.

·
Registered
316 Posts
yes i was also tuned but was having this issue before i tuned. I am very careful, maintained my car and drove in a very conservative manner. i flashed back to stock and had no issues with the dealers. if you are tuned look for Titans Cruze datalog reader on here. It is specifically for trifecta tunes and will actually let you visualize your own datalogs. As far as the oil it got so bad the whole side of my transmission and the rear of my engine was black with pooled oil. Also was coming out around the coupling from the hotside and coldside charge pipes. Pull the intake tube at the throttle body and look in the throttle body and intake tract. or just run your finger across the underside of the throttle body where the pipe connects to it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes i was also tuned but was having this issue before i tuned. I am very careful, maintained my car and drove in a very conservative manner. i flashed back to stock and had no issues with the dealers. if you are tuned look for Titans Cruze datalog reader on here. It is specifically for trifecta tunes and will actually let you visualize your own datalogs. As far as the oil it got so bad the whole side of my transmission and the rear of my engine was black with pooled oil. Also was coming out around the coupling from the hotside and coldside charge pipes. Pull the intake tube at the throttle body and look in the throttle body and intake tract. or just run your finger across the underside of the throttle body where the pipe connects to it.
I didn't have this issue prior to being tuned and don't have it in eco mode.
I checked in the places where you referred to and there seems to be no oil...
I'll try to data log this week and see what comes of it.

If anyone else has any suggestions or possible solutions, please post.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
I have had this problem for almost a year now.. When I put the intake on and could hear the BOV is when I first noticed it.. When going up a hill you can hear the turbo spool then blow off then spool then blow off and so on and so on.. It seems to do it when going up a hill when the throttle is pushed just a little and starts to pull boost.. I have taken it into service and they have said everything from "nothing is wrong" to "that's normal".. They did do a ecm update and that fixed it for about a day then its back to the same ol thing..

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-1-4l-turbo/12946-might-have-problem.html

Here is my first post about it..

Plugs are @ .028, I hear it everyday to and from work.. I have just learned to accept it because I am not throwing any CEL's over it and without that the service dept will just look at you and laugh..

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I have had this problem for almost a year now.. When I put the intake on and could hear the BOV is when I first noticed it.. When going up a hill you can hear the turbo spool then blow off then spool then blow off and so on and so on.. It seems to do it when going up a hill when the throttle is pushed just a little and starts to pull boost.. I have taken it into service and they have said everything from "nothing is wrong" to "that's normal".. They did do a ecm update and that fixed it for about a day then its back to the same ol thing..

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-1-4l-turbo/12946-might-have-problem.html

Here is my first post about it..

Plugs are @ .028, I hear it everyday to and from work.. I have just learned to accept it because I am not throwing any CEL's over it and without that the service dept will just look at you and laugh..
Does this happen at part throttle or WOT?

Edit: just read the link, the bpv could be suspect. If it wasn't for the uphill with CC set I was thinking it could have been your foot getting into and out of the throttle, even just a little variation will cause the BPV to open some anytime the gas pedal is released.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Does this happen at part throttle or WOT?

Edit: just read the link, the bpv could be suspect. If it wasn't for the uphill with CC set I was thinking it could have been your foot getting into and out of the throttle, even just a little variation will cause the BPV to open some anytime the gas pedal is released.
I've got the same scenario as W&B, only I just changed from the stock BPV to a Forge BOV, and it's not much different than before. I do struggle to keep it out of boost range too since this became an issue.

The issue remained when I had put the car back to stock tune/intake (pre BOV), it's just the issues were much more difficult to hear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts