Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Resident Derp
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long story short, I've had the Injen intake for a year and a half now, and I've always payed in someway whether it be SRI or CAI with losing power. First it was with the SRI that would suck in hot air from the engine bay, and then it was my CAI that would bog down like crazy in hot weather with the AC on full blast. So I was toying around with this idea and yesterday I just said screw it, and so far I'm more than happy.

I about a set of fog lamp bezels from Smorey78 and then covered the holes with chicken wire[painted black] to act as a mesh block/grate:

Then I tore my bumper off, and wiggled in a 3" Injen filter with a hydroshield sock:

Bumper back on:

In the end, I can blast AC on a hot day and once I get up to ~15 mph I have full power with fresh air constantly getting to the intake, and already have a slight change on the highway with my car feeling a little more confident when on full throttle. Also, only down side with the 3" bigger filter is that it pushes the wheel well cover out a bit, and so when I make a sharp left turn my right wheel rubs a bit, but I can live with that.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The first picture isn't showing for me. I thought about something like this but the only thing I would be nervous of is water, even with a hydroshield sock. Keep us posted on how it does. :goodjob:

·
Registered
139 Posts
wait, what did you do? i dont see anything...

·
Resident Derp
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The first picture isn't showing for me. I thought about something like this but the only thing I would be nervous of is water, even with a hydroshield sock. Keep us posted on how it does. :goodjob:
Fixed the link, also I have a good feeling as part of the frame blocks a majority of the filter, and I sent it through a car wash and drove it out without any trouble, so we'll see what happens.

wait, what did you do? i dont see anything...
Hehe, the point was to make it hard to see if anything was done because I don't want a huge gaping hole or anything too oblivious that stands out. With the first picture fixed it may help to understand what I did.

·
Super Moderator
5,151 Posts
Brilliant idea! I take it the "fog light" on the passenger side would be the "active" one and the other for "looks" unless somehow you ran "plumbing over to the other side. Probably a lot more resilient to hydro locking. Unless you drove into a pond. LOL

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hehe, the point was to make it hard to see if anything was done because I don't want a huge gaping hole or anything too oblivious that stands out. With the first picture fixed it may help to understand what I did.
oh so you basically made direct feed tube through the bumper to the intake filter
brilliant, i might try this

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
If I'm not mistaken one could do the same thing with the stock air box by making this mod and removing all stock intake pieces under the bumper cover.

My 2004 cavalier factory intake was feed air from the drivers side fog light hole. There was a large resonator/water trap mounted before it entered the car, commonly referred to as the bong. It got this name since if you drove through water it would get water caught inside and gurgle like a water pipe(bong) when you were on the gas. Most guys removed this piece for better airflow.

·
Resident Derp
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brilliant idea! I take it the "fog light" on the passenger side would be the "active" one and the other for "looks" unless somehow you ran "plumbing over to the other side. Probably a lot more resilient to hydro locking. Unless you drove into a pond. LOL
One of my plans was to mount my license plate on the drivers side bezel, but I'm just going t keep it for looks[symmetry].

If I'm not mistaken one could do the same thing with the stock air box by making this mod and removing all stock intake pieces under the bumper cover.

My 2004 cavalier factory intake was feed air from the drivers side fog light hole. There was a large resonator/water trap mounted before it entered the car, commonly referred to as the bong. It got this name since if you drove through water it would get water caught inside and gurgle like a water pipe(bong) when you were on the gas. Most guys removed this piece for better airflow.
LOL, I want to see that now. Also, you should be able to do that with the stock air box, but because it already has a piece that is routed to the upper part of the top grille, it already gets fresh air, and so you wouldn't gain anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts