Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

True Flex Fuel Cruze

35144 63
So I converter my Cruze to a TRUE flex fuel car today. I installed the 42lbs/hr Bosch "green giant" injector (stock are 24lbs/hr) along with an actual flex fuel sensor and tuned my ECM with EFILive, so I now have an actual flex fuel Cruze!! :D Can run what ever fuel or mix I want and the ECM will adjust for it.

This is the write up I used on EFILives forum showing how to do this.
Chev/Holden 1.4L Cruze E85 FlexFuel Conversion

Here is the sensor I installed in the fuel line so the ECM know how much ethanol is in the gas. You can see on my V2 where it's reading 7.8% ethanol right now and commanding an AFR of 14.24. Which is right since I run pump 93oct that contains up to 10%.

Vehicle Car Engine Auto part Family car
Electronic device Technology Text Gadget Font

Time to put some E85 in it and see what it does. I did this so I can run cheap 85/87 gas and mix in a little E85 (105oct) and get the performance of running 93 but with less cost. I think I can still get close to the same mileage with only about a 25-30% mix.
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
This is cool! Keep it up! Are we going to see a full DIY with pics? :)
The writeup for the conversion is in the link to EFILives forums in the first post. ;)

Reactions: Blue Angel

·
Vendor
1,043 Posts
Why the Sonics more then the Cruzes?
Simply because of demand. I haven't really seen anyone with a Cruze do it but the sonic guys all want to do it. We don't actually do the work, we just tell people what part number to get and where to run the wire to the ECM.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
We don't actually do the work, we just tell people what part number to get and where to run the wire to the ECM.
Is there any advantage to doing this to a gas Cruze that has no intentions of using E85? Will it allow the ECM to make better timing and/or air/fuel ratio decisions based on the ethanol content of ordinary gasoline?

Also, would moving to the big Bosch injectors have any adverse affect on drivablilty, emissions or fuel economy when running on ordinary gas? My question is WRT spray patern, droplet size, reduced duty cycle and minimum injector on-time, etc.?

There's only one E85 station in Ottawa so I would rarely ever get the chance to fill up there, but I'm a nerd and need to know these things.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Simply because of demand. I haven't really seen anyone with a Cruze do it but the sonic guys all want to do it. We don't actually do the work, we just tell people what part number to get and where to run the wire to the ECM.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
G'day Jerry, can you supply all the parts required for the this mod??
Cheers, Buk.

·
Premium Member
4,468 Posts
G'day Jerry, can you supply all the parts required for the this mod??
Cheers, Buk.
Badnewsracing.net they have the injectors and if you already have a Trifecta Tune they adjust that to compensate. But he dosn't carry the flex fuel sensor you wont need it, but you can't run anything but E85 unless you tune back to the premium tune.

Sent from my Droid

·
Registered
86 Posts
Badnewsracing.net they have the injectors and if you already have a Trifecta Tune they adjust that to compensate. But he dosn't carry the flex fuel sensor you wont need it, but you can't run anything but E85 unless you tune back to the premium tune.

Sent from my Droid
Thanks h3ll, already have trifecta tuned E85 with injectors set up, but it is a pain in the butt in the cold weather!! Plus I want to see what % of ethanol is in the fuel that I am buying! And not having to change tunes when fueling up would be great!!
Cheers, Buk.

·
Premium Member
4,468 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
We don't actually do the work, we just tell people what part number to get and where to run the wire to the ECM.
Is there any advantage to doing this to a gas Cruze that has no intentions of using E85? Will it allow the ECM to make better timing and/or air/fuel ratio decisions based on the ethanol content of ordinary gasoline?

Also, would moving to the big Bosch injectors have any adverse affect on drivablilty, emissions or fuel economy when running on ordinary gas? My question is WRT spray patern, droplet size, reduced duty cycle and minimum injector on-time, etc.?

There's only one E85 station in Ottawa so I would rarely ever get the chance to fill up there, but I'm a nerd and need to know these things.
Questions still stand. Also, I just did my first data log with HPTuners last night and noticed the Injector Duty Cycle is only at ~33% with the stock tune and stock injectors. What IDC are you seeing with the big Bosch injectors tuning on E85?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
You need to log a run at full throttle all the way to the shift at full RPM to see what your max duty cycle is. It goes up as RPM goes up. I need to get my Duty Cycle PID setup and see where mine is, but I'm back to strait gas this tank so will be pretty low.

As far as the 42lbs Bosch injectors Vs Stock one's, the DIY install thread on them claimed they got better mileage with them cuz of better spay pattern/atomization, but I didn't really notice that. But then again, I had only run a couple tanks of fuel though my stock Cruze before I started doing all the mods, lol. I'm an auto trans too, so my mileage is lower anyway. I wouldn't think they would really be cost afective if you didn't plan to run E85, but that just me. ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
The sensor cost me $74, the pig tail was $15, the hose I made up with push lock connectors was $65 and the injectors where $180.
G'day KBRacing96, just wondering if you had a link to where you bought all the parts needed for this mod??
Cheers, Buk.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
G'day KBRacing96, just wondering if you had a link to where you bought all the parts needed for this mod??
Cheers, Buk.
I got them all from different places, lol.

Sensor and pig tail from Ebay
2 GM fuel line fittings from Amazon,
The push lock hose and fittings from local speed shop,
Injectors from fuelinjectorconnection.com

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got them all from different places, lol.

Sensor and pig tail from Ebay
2 GM fuel line fittings from Amazon,
The push lock hose and fittings from local speed shop,
Injectors from fuelinjectorconnection.com
Thanks for that. I have everything except the pig tail connector!! Would you have the part number??
Cheers, Buk.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Reactions: spacedout

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Blue Angel said:
As far as the 42lbs Bosch injectors Vs Stock one's... ...I wouldn't think they would really be cost afective if you didn't plan to run E85, but that just me. ;)
YES! I forgot to mention that I was interested in just the sensor upgrade, not the injector upgrade. If I never planned to run E85 I would have no need for the added fuel capacity of the larger injectors.

I would still be interested in learning about the advantages of installing and programming for just the Ethanol sensor. How does the 1.4T adjust for Ethanol content? Is it just done by correcting the fuel trims? If this is how it happens, is this an accurate method? Are there separate fuel tables pre-loaded in the ECM for Ethanol content based corrections, or is it a simple offset of injector pulse width (or something like that)? What else changes with the Ethanol content... spark advance, anything else?

Sorry about all the questions... I'm an uncurable information H0.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Thanks KBRacing96, do I need to also get the ECM pins? Are they missing from the wiring harness?? Cheers, Buk.
That pig tail is just for the sensor. You'll still need the pins and some wire to get it to the ECM. I got those from a buddy who makes harnesses.
YES! I forgot to mention that I was interested in just the sensor upgrade, not the injector upgrade. If I never planned to run E85 I would have no need for the added fuel capacity of the larger injectors. I would still be interested in learning about the advantages of installing and programming for just the Ethanol sensor. How does the 1.4T adjust for Ethanol content? Is it just done by correcting the fuel trims? If this is how it happens, is this an accurate method? Are there separate fuel tables pre-loaded in the ECM for Ethanol content based corrections, or is it a simple offset of injector pulse width (or something like that)? What else changes with the Ethanol content... spark advance, anything else? Sorry about all the questions... I'm an uncurable information H0.
I don't think it's worth it if your not running E85. The low E content of normal gas can easily be adjusted for with the fuel trims and the gas is rated with the E content included, so your not running any more octane like you are with E85, so you really can't add timing or anything. When running E85, there are several more tables active that take into considerastion the amount of E and how much fuel and timing it will command. It also changes the Stoich to the correct number for the amount of E in the fuel. The more E, the lower, or richer it commands fuel.

Reactions: Blue Angel

·
Premium Member
4,468 Posts
I just read the thread on EFILive and I wonder if that guy Boost is on here he claims to be the Fastest Cruze in Florida I wanna see video and pictures lol.

Sent from my Droid

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I just read the thread on EFILive and I wonder if that guy Boost is on here he claims to be the Fastest Cruze in Florida I wanna see video and pictures lol.

Sent from my Droid
He was but he got banned.

Reactions: spacedout
21 - 40 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.