Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
True or False? New turbocharger requires new intake manifold

Based on what I've read on this forum, the turbocharger and intake manifold both go bad eventually and will need to be replaced.

Am I reading too much into related threads?

I've had the P0299 code and my mechanic days the turbocharger needs replaced. I asked him about the intake manifold and he went over and looked at it and was sure it did not. I think his rationale is that since it's separate, it's not necessary. However it's an independent shop, so they don't specialize on Chevy's, so I'm thinking maybe he just doesn't know, but I'm not going to pretend I know more, because I'm just going by what I've read on this forum.

It's in the shop now and getting the timing chain gasket replaced, three transmission lines replaced and a drain and refill of transmission fluid. After labor, appx. $1400. That's obviously before turbocharger and possibly manifold.

It's running ok. I'm thinking the new turbo is only required to get it running "like new". So may just sell it before getting any work done on turbo related issues. If I went ahead and got new turbocharger, and manifold, then might just keep driving it to 200k miles. Currently 121k.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,357 Posts
Have the mechanic check for boost leaks. The hose at the throttle body is a common culprit.

If there is lots of oil under the throttle body hose, that is a sure sign that the check valve in the intake manifold has gone missing.

But no; the two need not always be replaced hand-in-hand. They cause two totally separate conditions - the intake manifold can cause vacuum codes and oil loss. The turbo (or wastegate, rather), the P0299 code.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have the mechanic check for boost leaks. The hose at the throttle body is a common culprit.

If there is lots of oil under the throttle body hose, that is a sure sign that the check valve in the intake manifold has gone missing.

But no; the two need not always be replaced hand-in-hand. They cause two totally separate conditions - the intake manifold can cause vacuum codes and oil loss. The turbo (or wastegate, rather), the P0299 code.

Looks like I'm buying a turbocharger. Are those Dorman ones as good as any stock? Noticed the GM Parts-Direct doesn't sell them anymore.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts