Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trump’s Budget Proposal Would Kill Loans for EV Projects, Including Lordstown Motors
Colin Beresford
Car and DriverFebruary 10, 2020, 11:30 AM PST

Photo credit: Lordstown Motors

Photo credit: Lordstown Motors

Just as the future of the Lordstown, Ohio, manufacturing plant seemed certain, it could now be in jeopardy. President Donald Trump's just-announced proposed budget would end the loan program that would help Lordstown Motors rebuild the plant it bought from General Motors last November, Bloomberg said. The budget was delivered to Congress today.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Sounds about right. Why waste money on progress when gas is still cheap?

·
Administrator
25,208 Posts
So where's the issue? The CEO of Lordstown Motors has already gone on record that they don't need this loan. This is in both the "highlights" and in the body of the article.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The United States is a business... sometimes to obtain what's best for the whole prior things must be sacrificed in order for the business to survive and push forward.

·
Administrator
25,208 Posts
Who cares.

I would have bought another Cruze.

I wouldn't buy an EV.
Once you drive an EV you won't go back to an internal combustion engine. I absolutely hate it when my Volt and my wife's Clarity engage their gas engines. Unfortunately the pickings for EVs is pretty slim right now.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,125 Posts
Once you drive an EV you won't go back to an internal combustion engine. I absolutely hate it when my Volt and my wife's Clarity engage their gas engines. Unfortunately the pickings for EVs is pretty slim right now.
I can go back and forth, but to say "I wouldn't buy an EV" is just ignorant. I love my Volt.

Driving home, in traffic, in silence really makes the drive home that much more calming when I know I'm not sitting there wasting gas. Filling my Volt up roughly once per year is even better. Saving money every month on driving costs (my electric bill went up about $30 a month - I was paying about $150 a month in gas before). Instantaneous torque and a low CoG? What's not to like?

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
I read “EV” as NOT having an ICE...(like Tesla, Bolt, Leaf, BMW i3)...am I wrong?

·
Registered
111 Posts
So what is the price to replace the electric motors or drives... what about the battery pack if it has one.... the torque would be nice... but... sorry whirrrrrrr will never sound as good....

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
I read “EV” as NOT having an ICE...(like Tesla, Bolt, Leaf, BMW i3)...am I wrong?
Not technically, but those would be considered a BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle) - A Volt or Clarity would be a PHEV (Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle) or EREV (Extended Range Electric Vehicle - first gen Volt was an EREV, second is a PHEV). My Volt can run entirely in EV mode until I run out of charge or tell it to run on the engine - the engine does not automatically turn on no matter how hard I push the throttle down like some other PHEVs. So, in my mind, it is an EV. I just have the option of using my engine to go 400 miles further.

But in my general day-to-day driving, that engine never turns on (unless it needs to run a monthlyish EMM - Engine Maintenance Mode - cycle to run fuel through the system, or if it is below 15* F where the ERDTT - Engine running due to temperature - kicks the engine on to provide heat for the cabin, a welcome thing at that point)

So what is the price to replace the electric motors or drives... what about the battery pack if it has one.... the torque would be nice... but... sorry whirrrrrrr will never sound as good....
Roughly the same price as replacing an engine - and most have very long warranties on the electric drive components and batteries.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
The AC is easily the best of any vehicle I've ever experienced - and it's quite efficient on power, as well. The heater sucks a lot more juice, so I generally drive around without heat (though I precondition the cabin for 3-5 minutes in the morning, which uses 1kW of 120V house power to assist, so it doesn't use as much charge). But I have heated seats and a heated steering wheel, so I am plenty comfortable. When ERDTT is active, I leave the heat on and have a nice comfortable warm drive into work.

·
Administrator
25,208 Posts
The Volt and BMW i3 REX are the only hybrids that will stay in EV mode until the battery is exhausted. All other hybrids will engage the gas engine to provide additional power. You can even drive a Volt without any gas (I've done it). This makes it an EV for all practical purposes when driving around town. I had to put gas in mine last week - 12,703 miles on less than 9 gallons. Based on my experience my next vehicle will be a full EV.

·
Administrator
25,208 Posts
The electric motors are cheaper than a transmission in a gas or diesel powered car. Batteries can be expensive. However, they're also warranted for a minimum of 8 years/100,000 miles (15/150,000 in CARB states). I expect the batteries in my Volt will outlast the body of the car. If you're looking at BEVs, ensure they have liquid based active thermal management to protect the batteries from temperature extremes, which shorten battery life.

You mentioned the sound - turns out the human nervous system hates continuous background sounds. I find that rush hour doesn't frazzle me nearly as much anymore. The absolute quite of the electric drive is really noticeable, to the extent that I actually had to double check to ensure the car was running before backing out of the parking spot after having driven my son's 2013 ECO MT and my mom's BMW x5 over Christmas. Not having to stop for gas every week or so was a huge benefit that I never would have anticipated - I spend 30 seconds plugging in the car when I get home and when I'm ready to leave it's fully charged. 30 seconds to unplug and coil the charging cable is all it takes.

·
Administrator
25,208 Posts
I'm curious as to how the heater and ac are in those things. Any good?
My two PHEVs heat up from freezing temperatures like they have fully warmed V8s under the hood. The AC is outstanding as well. Like MP81 my Volt has heated seats and steering wheel. I keep the cabin thermostat at 62 to 65 in the winter. The Clarity doesn't have a heated steering wheel, but in my case a heated steering wheel is actually not as useful as you would think as it aggravates the arthritis in my right hand.

An example of how fast the heater in an EV is. I have always ice scraped the windshield after the side windows. Last week I started my Volt and put the blower on (62F cabin setting). By the time I finished the side windows (less than a minute on each side) the windshield had melted to a point that I could use the snow brush on my long scraper to just wipe off the remaining ice. The ice was about a quarter inch thick.

·
Administrator
25,208 Posts
Not technically, but those would be considered a BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle) - A Volt or Clarity would be a PHEV (Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle) or EREV (Extended Range Electric Vehicle - first gen Volt was an EREV, second is a PHEV). My Volt can run entirely in EV mode until I run out of charge or tell it to run on the engine - the engine does not automatically turn on no matter how hard I push the throttle down like some other PHEVs. So, in my mind, it is an EV. I just have the option of using my engine to go 400 miles further.

But in my general day-to-day driving, that engine never turns on (unless it needs to run a monthlyish EMM - Engine Maintenance Mode - cycle to run fuel through the system, or if it is below 15* F where the ERDTT - Engine running due to temperature - kicks the engine on to provide heat for the cabin, a welcome thing at that point)
I've come to hate ERDTT since even in the bitter cold the batteries would keep me warm and get me to where I'm going. The 2019 Volt addressed this issue by setting the ERDTT temperature to -15F.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
The Volt is one thing, but an all electric vehicle is another.

When one drives up to 250 miles a day, and is still on call that could result in up to an additional 120 miles of driving after work hours, how would an EV work out?

Not so well.

It doesn't get me from NY to Florida and back very well either. No thanks. :)

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
The Volt is one thing, but an all electric vehicle is another.

When one drives up to 250 miles a day, and is still on call that could result in up to an additional 120 miles of driving after work hours, how would an EV work out?

Not so well.

It doesn't get me from NY to Florida and back very well either. No thanks. :)
For now.

Range is getting up there (the longer range Teslas are well over 300 miles - 370 I believe), and charging speed is coming down.

It's not perfect yet, and the Volt really is still the best kind of EV out there in my mind, but eventually (and I mean only a few years), they'll get range up to matching that of a ICE vehicle, and charging time down to nearly that of a gas station fill-up.

Sounds like you'd do perfectly with a Volt. Hold mode on the freeways, run on EV charge on surface roads.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts