Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trunk release button above the license plate isn't working on my car. Are there any tricks to getting it to work? I've tried to open the trunk using that button while the car is parked, unlocked and not running. It still won't work.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Very common issue, there's a thread on here "repair your trunk switch" shows you how to remove trunk lid liner and the chrome fascia the trunk switch is attached to and how to clean the contacts.

I found a replacement a few months back on Amazon for about $20 and it took about a month and a half to get cause it was coming from China. The trunk switch and license plate lights are one wiring harness

I have a thread showing the process to remove the old harness and replace it with the new one and mines work ever since maybe 8 months now

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
Had mine replaced under GMPP. The dealer handled it as a very routine manner.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this covered under the standard 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty? I'm the second owner of this car so I don't have the warranty documentation.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Is this covered under the standard 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty? I'm the second owner of this car so I don't have the warranty documentation.
No. It's covered by the 3/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. It follows the car and tracked by VIN. No paperwork needed.

·
2,254 Posts
I had this happen to me to. I think I paid like 60 bucks for the part and installed it myself, pretty simple to do.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
The trunk release button above the license plate isn't working on my car. Are there any tricks to getting it to work? I've tried to open the trunk using that button while the car is parked, unlocked and not running. It still won't work.
Hi there DeanHensler,

Sorry to hear about this concern with the trunk button on your Cruze. Have you had your dealership take a look at this yet? If you're interested in taking it in for a diagnosis, please feel free to send us a private message and I'd be happy to help!

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, buying a vehicle is like buying a lottery ticket, are you feeling lucky? Was lucky on ours, came with a water proof switch completely sealed. Just fires a next to zero current 5V command to the BCM, called a dry circuit, contacts must be super clean.

Rear of the trunk on the Cruze is vertical, creates a strong vacuum, and when forced by the government to drive in slushy road salt, sure sucks that in, acid rain is not as bad. Sure had a heck of of time removing those rusty screws for the license plate screws, clean all that out and replaced them with stainless. While the contact resistance was still good, have special test equipment for this, switch was coated with road salt. Nice place for rust to start, so cleaned everything up and used a marine silicone sealant. Even on the screw holes for that plastic chrome strip, that's okay, but the sheet metal it goes into would not be. Did this after the first winter season.

Been good until a drunken driver rear ended this thing, learned he hit it going 30 mph with a Ford Explorer.

Talk about more problems, wife strained her back like six years ago lifting a heavy object, got a little therapy back then, now the culprits insurance company is blaming this for her problems. Like getting rear ended at 30 mph didn't have anything to do with this.

Do you ever get the urge to kill? Sure have to learn how to control that urge.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have replaced both of ours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Trunk release lacks sealant, i did this years ago when it gets cold or rains a lot the switch dont work so i put two pieces of black tape over switch opens all the time

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
10,950 Posts
The Trunk release lacks sealant, i did this years ago when it gets cold or rains a lot the switch dont work so i put two pieces of black tape over switch opens all the time
Welcome Back!:welcome:

I somehow missed you back in Oct so I'm here to rectify that!

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just took my 2012 Cruze in for this problem and they wanted to charge me $168 so I declined and so happy I found this thread! Thank you to all of you who have help with answers!

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Judging by the picture, I'd be careful as it looks like this button flips the whole Cruze over...;)
Oops....!!! ??? I'm lucky I didn't push it yet on the highway! Let me test it first somewhere in an empty parking lot! LOL!
BTW, I will use that button for a garage remote instead of trunk opener, work in progress...

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
Oh, and since you are going to wait for it to arrive from China, you might as well just buy it from China and cut out the middleman.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Oh, and since you are going to wait for it to arrive from China, you might as well just buy it from China and cut out the middleman.
It arrived in 2 weeks already, I just try to limit the websites where I use my CC to buy things, specific from China :)
Going back to the original post, I had to replace all my Cruze-s trunk buttons (factory) until now! Some of them completely stopped working, some just worked randomly. I used some silicone when put the replacements and they never failed again. We'll see in a couple years..

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can find the button on Rockauto, they ship very fast also. But.. if you really want to be fancy, check this out:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Trunk-Open-Close-Button-Switch-Assembly-w-USB-Port-for-Chevrolet-Cruze/401922196319?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
A little extra work but it looks better.. :)
How hard is it to install? I'm pretty handy, but I've never taken any of the dash bezels off before in my Cruze. Looks like you just have to eliminate the passenger air bag light?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts