Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. This is my second winter with my Cruze and, once again, we are finding that in our winter weather, (wind, snow), we are unable to open the trunk (or close it, if we happen to get it open). We took it to service and, of course, it worked because it was inside the shop. After driving home it was again "frozen".
Looking for options to keep the trunk latch working. I don't like having to tie a rope to it and hold it shut while I drive home. :(

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'm guessing that moisture has gotten into the latch. You probably need to disassemble it and dry it out. Maybe add some grease while you're in there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we used wd40 when the trunk was open and the lock frozen. That worked but then next day it was frozen again. Not sure where to spray the wd40 when the trunk is frozen shut.
THanks for the tips!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the service department was no help as they just opened/shut the trunk when it was in the shop: "see? It works just fine".

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,105 Posts
we used wd40 when the trunk was open and the lock frozen. That worked but then next day it was frozen again. Not sure where to spray the wd40 when the trunk is frozen shut.
THanks for the tips!
Was the electrical mechanism and the lock cylinder frozen as well? Once you actually have the trunk open, you obviously spray the WD40 (Water Displacement formula 40) on the latch itself, but then you should dry it off after leaving it on there for an hour or so. Use canned air, air compressor with a water filter, etc. Once dry you need to use a dry lubricant. I am not sure what the factory recommends (anyone want to chime in here - please do) but if you know, use it. As for the lock cylinder, most hardware stores and such sell a deicer made for locks. It is usually in a small container. Use some of that and carefully work the key back and forth and then turn it both directions a few times. Then back to the canned air to dry it out. Lastly squirt some powdered graphite in the lock.

Hopefully this will take care of the issue.

If you have a spoiler, make sure there is no water leaking into the trunk form the bolt holes. You will need to take off the trunk lid liner to see though. If you need an explanation see step six here or search the forum for other avenues.

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
more good tips. Thanks.
re: de-icer in the key lock, there is no key mechanism that I am aware of.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,105 Posts
more good tips. Thanks.
re: de-icer in the key lock, there is no key mechanism that I am aware of.
You know, I never really looked, but then again, I have so many vehicles and I'm getting senile and and and ...I forgot

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
This is a weird one.

Lift up the false floor and see if the spare tire well has water in it.

I suspect it does, but could be wrong.....something is introducing moisture within the trunk to make the latch keep frosting.

A wag.....but you gotta start somewhere.

Rob

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
As for getting the trunk open (besides getting the car into a warmer place), you could fold down the back seat and crawl to the back of the trunk and pull the emergency handle.

Reactions: Blasirl
1 - 11 of 11 Posts