Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, my trunk latch button has not been working. I can still open the trunk with the key button, but the button above the license plate has been working less and less.
I certainly plan on having it check by the dealer as a warranty issue, but I am curious if anyone else has this issue and if/how it was fixed. Especially since the dealer may not notice an issue because the button usually works after driving it for a bit.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I haven't had any issues with mine. Check and make sure your doors are unlocked when you try to use the button, a few times I have forgotten that. Not trying to sound demeaning by saying that, just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No offense taken on that suggestion because it makes sense and should be checked.

Something else I noticed...
It has only been happening in the morning when I want to open the trunk to put in my brief case. The car is in the garage, and the doors are not locked. However, I can "fix" the problem by hitting the unlock button on the key fob. Again, the doors are not locked before I hit the button. Strange.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Happened to me. At first it was hard to open. Then it would only work intermittently. And then it stopped working completely. I thought maybe it was only when it was colder, but looking back it was probably random.

Dealer had to order a special part (strap) but it is fixed now. Seems a little stiff to open compared to before.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Happened to me. At first it was hard to open. Then it would only work intermittently. And then it stopped working completely. I thought maybe it was only when it was colder, but looking back it was probably random.
Dealer had to order a special part (strap) but it is fixed now. Seems a little stiff to open compared to before.
Thanks. Maybe that's what is going on. I am getting close to 20K, so when I take it in for oil change/tire rotation, I will ask them about it. Honestly, I wish it was not an electronic latch. Even if that means not being able to use the fob. Think about it...if you have a hand free to dig in your pockets to get a fob to unlock the doors, then you also already have a hand free to open the trunk.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Honestly, I wish it was not an electronic latch. Even if that means not being able to use the fob. Think about it...if you have a hand free to dig in your pockets to get a fob to unlock the doors, then you also already have a hand free to open the trunk.
Yes but if your car is locked and you want the trunk open you have to reach in your pocket anyway. While you're in there you might as well tap the trunk release button after the unlock. Thus less fumbling. Or just the trunk release directly (I like this because it doesn't unlock the car and doesn't set off the alarm either like on my 2007 corolla)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes but if your car is locked and you want the trunk open you have to reach in your pocket anyway. While you're in there you might as well tap the trunk release button after the unlock. Thus less fumbling. Or just the trunk release directly (I like this because it doesn't unlock the car and doesn't set off the alarm either like on my 2007 corolla)
Yeah so in that case, its kind of a wash, but I also like manual trunk release for other reasons. It would seem more reliable (case in point of this post), and also, if your battery is dead and your jumper cables are in the trunk...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah so in that case, its kind of a wash, but I also like manual trunk release for other reasons. It would seem more reliable (case in point of this post), and also, if your battery is dead and your jumper cables are in the trunk...
You could always access the trunk through the back seat, but yes, that would be a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just had mine replaced on warranty. Stopped working after I had the car for about 9 months. The trunk would only open with the key.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So now I noticed that with the issue of it not working in the morning, it will eventually open after about five tries. I think its about to give up.

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
Sounds like a bad connection (button) or the like...

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
Is it getting cool and moist in the morning and works in the afternoon and during the summer. Maybe there is moisture on the switch in the morning causing it to be faulty. Just an idea.

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
Mine has been working fine also but the way you describe the button usually works after driving it for a bit. It sounds like a moisture/temperature problem. Since you are in Michigan, the weather has been getting colder and that may be the catalyst esp if it worked find during the summer.

Good luck

·
Registered
235 Posts
We've got 22,500 mi. on the Cruze and I think our trunk release button is starting to malfunction. :uhh:
I haven't taken the time to try it multiple times the same day, but we can add our car to this list! A trip to the dealer soon for this problem and if I end up verifying a slow coolant loss.

·
Registered
682 Posts
My button used to freeze solid until I took it to the dealer one cold morning to prove to them that I'm not an idiot and they took it apart and lubricated it. Been ok since, but then again it hasn't been that cold since. So there's obviously some issue with water/moisture getting in there and if not affecting electronics, then causing it to freeze once the temp drops.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Mine failed at 12k miles. The dealer replaced the whole chrome trim strip. $85 for that piece if I had needed to do it myself.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts