Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I haven't looked at wiring or anything yet, but had an idea/question. This comes from what guys do on the 1988-1998 GM trucks such as the '95 I have. The rear tails are vertical setup, you can run two wires to make the top bulbs in series with the lower and have all 4 light up as brake lights and still be running lights.

Has anyone wired the trunk lights to be brake as well as running? I would think some extra wiring and a new socket and dual filament bulb?

What are your thoughts? I drive 100 miles a day leaving a 6 am and headed home at 330 pm so depending on time of year you get blinding sun or darkness, any extra lighting would be great to have on these small cars and especially mine in imperial blue.

Reactions: Ravenkeeper

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi guys,

I haven't looked at wiring or anything yet, but had an idea/question. This comes from what guys do on the 1988-1998 GM trucks such as the '95 I have. The rear tails are vertical setup, you can run two wires to make the top bulbs in series with the lower and have all 4 light up as brake lights and still be running lights.

Has anyone wired the trunk lights to be brake as well as running? I would think some extra wiring and a new socket and dual filament bulb?

What are your thoughts? I drive 100 miles a day leaving a 6 am and headed home at 330 pm so depending on time of year you get blinding sun or darkness, any extra lighting would be great to have on these small cars and especially mine in imperial blue.

Someone tried to just run the red wire and it did not work. I will post a screen shot of how he did it when I get out of work.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone tried to just run the red wire and it did not work. I will post a screen shot of how he did it when I get out of work.
Well I know that won't work. I would think it needs a socket like the actual taillights and wire it up similar, just tap into the brake light wires that are back there.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Seems to me there was something just a tad funky with the wiring on those. You needed to run the brake line, but also might have to modify the socket just a bit. IIRC, they connected the tail light line to both sides of the bulb but only connected the ground on one side. Something like that.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well you have to order the socket too and cut it a little to fit. I have them but have yet to install them.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will have to open that when I get to my home computer. Yes those sockets with some 3157 bulbs and would need a wiring schematic to look at and make it similar to the normal brake lights, swapping to LED bulbs should curb any worry of to much extra draw or heat.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what he had to do made sense, but why need to run a wire all the way to the front of the car, getting the correct 3157 socket and wiring into the wiring coming in for the tailights/truck lights already and tap into those?

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've done this mod, the 3157 or 3157B (three wire socket) are the correct ones. I kept the original bulbs and both were spliced into the left side brake light wire. When wiring the trunk lights the + and - are reversed, don't go by the wire color, use a voltmeter. I wasted over a hour going over my wiring when I realized the -black was actually +positive.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you like it? Does it seem to help? I found another thread from a couple years ago on this topic and one of the guys said having the break up of running only and the outer as brake lights it gives the contrast so people know you are braking.

Initially I thought this would be super helpful, but now questioning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts