Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a cruze a month ago, it has 24000 miles on it. And there is a noise i hear coming from the engine. Of course i took it to service and the car didn't made any noise while on service so they said it was nothing wrong with it, so i felt really stupid because as soon as i was driving home it did the noise.

Im guessing the noise is coming from the belt or some pulley but they said everything seems good. Also it does the noise when the car is on reverse.

The noise is not consistent, but when it does you could hear it from the outside or with the windows rolled down. So is pretty hard to guess when the car is going to make noise.

I recorded a video of it Check it out

Hopefully someone can tell me what can i do. Is it a belt problem? pulley? any other guess. What should i do so they can service my car?

Any help appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
GM Master Tech recently reported that some of the Cruze's with the 1.4 were experiencing a chirping type noise in the pully area.
I some cases, it turned out to be a bad pcv (cam cover) causing the crankcase to pressurize.
The pressure was being released from the belt side crankshaft seal.

With engine idling (and making the sound) remove the dipstick.
This will relieve any pressure and if the pcv is bad, the noise will immediatly disappear.

If this is the case, you can demonstrate it for your dealer....the cam cover assembly is warranteed for five years or 100k miles.

Keep in touch,
Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went to my dealer service because i was able to re create the noise when going reverse with my ac on. They suspect it might be the AC compressor, but im unsure about it.

The noise is only audible when going on reverse with the ac on. Any other time like parked or in driving mode it doesn't do any noise.

What you think about the technician guess?

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
I went to my dealer service because i was able to re create the noise when going reverse with my ac on. They suspect it might be the AC compressor, but im unsure about it.

The noise is only audible when going on reverse with the ac on. Any other time like parked or in driving mode it doesn't do any noise.

A/C, on and only in reverse........I cannot come up with a reason gear position would change anything but the forum has had several compressor noise issues that were resolved with replacement.

Regardless, the car is under warranty.....let them do their thing.

Rob

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

Hello gilbertsm,

I see that you've taken your Chevy Cruze into your dealership to get insight regarding the noise you're experiencing. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. To clarify, were you able to take your service manager on a ride along to demonstrate the noise? We'd be more than happy to look into your situation further and work toward a possible solution. Please send your VIN, mileage, contact information and the involved dealership in a private message if this is something of interest to you.

We look forward to your message. :)

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
GM Master Tech recently reported that some of the Cruze's with the 1.4 were experiencing a chirping type noise in the pully area.
I some cases, it turned out to be a bad pcv (cam cover) causing the crankcase to pressurize.
The pressure was being released from the belt side crankshaft seal.

With engine idling (and making the sound) remove the dipstick.
This will relieve any pressure and if the pcv is bad, the noise will immediatly disappear.

If this is the case, you can demonstrate it for your dealer....the cam cover assembly is warranteed for five years or 100k miles.

Keep in touch,
Rob
So I got an update today. They say is the crankshaft seal and that they verified that and will be replacing it.

My question is. Should I bring to them the possibility of a bad pcv and request them to check the pcv?

My car only does the chirping noise while is on reverse aND the engine is hot. So when I first start the car is doesn't do anything noise, and mostly on reverse.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
You could tell them that this has been discussed......and to pull the dipstick while it is making the noise.....You might be assisting the dealer in diagnosis of other cars down the road.

If the sound immediatly disappears, the cam cover/pcv assembly has failed and no crankshaft seal is needed (unless it is leaking oil after the cover is exchanged).

Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts