Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, had the local Chevy dealership change the oil in my CTD Friday. Well, it turned out to be a pair of 17 year old 'mechanics'. Striped my oil pan bold. 'Service ASSociate' finds me in the customer area 'sir your oil pan bold is striped, it will be $20 extra if you want your oil changed' I said fine, and reminded her about draining the water from the fuel filter (this was mentioned, as all of you are aware, it is a diesel there are special requirements there are mechanic tips etc..etc..). At that point I should have left, the last time the oil was changed was at a dealership, go figure. I tried to explain that the plug does not come all the way out of the pan, but all I heard was 'they know what the are doing' from the Ass. Anyways, I wander over and remind the kid mechanics to drain the water from the fuel filter, they can't find the filter, after asking around or 10 minutes I can see that they have given up. On final payment I ask the Ass about draining the water from the fuel filter. Apparently, and I quote 'There is nothing that the dealership has on record about this service being required on this model of vehicle.' Bottom line I want the bulletin, Canadian version I guess, to take to the service manager and say 'train the ASSociates properly or i will be going elsewhere.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I made my dealership pay for the stripped oil pan plug. They had been the only people touching my car at that time.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Hey guys, had the local Chevy dealership change the oil in my CTD Friday. Well, it turned out to be a pair of 17 year old 'mechanics'. Striped my oil pan bold. 'Service ASSociate' finds me in the customer area 'sir your oil pan bold is striped, it will be $20 extra if you want your oil changed' I said fine, and reminded her about draining the water from the fuel filter (this was mentioned, as all of you are aware, it is a diesel there are special requirements there are mechanic tips etc..etc..). At that point I should have left, the last time the oil was changed was at a dealership, go figure. I tried to explain that the plug does not come all the way out of the pan, but all I heard was 'they know what the are doing' from the Ass. Anyways, I wander over and remind the kid mechanics to drain the water from the fuel filter, they can't find the filter, after asking around or 10 minutes I can see that they have given up. On final payment I ask the Ass about draining the water from the fuel filter. Apparently, and I quote 'There is nothing that the dealership has on record about this service being required on this model of vehicle.' Bottom line I want the bulletin, Canadian version I guess, to take to the service manager and say 'train the ASSociates properly or i will be going elsewhere.
Sounds like a poor excuse for a dealership. I hope they didn't put Dexos1 into your car!

For the record, in 174K miles I have never drained the water from my fuel filter.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Too bad that Washago is pretty far out there. Was the dealer on Orillia? Whatever, if it was me, as soon as they stripped the drain and then had the audacity to charge for replacing it, that would have been the end. Easy for me to say huh. Why not look around for an independent who will let you supply your own materials and just charge for the labour. Then you'd probably be able to chat with the person while he works on your car. Those mechanics still exist, ask around.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was the dealership in Orillia. The wife uses it for her 2014 Cruze LT. (well she used too, that will be changing now, good job, they lost two customers with one stone...) They let me supply Amsoil dex-2, and I have heard they will use/supply it if requested. 7500 miles should be about the interval between oil changes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just received an email from the service manager (I had emailed him the details earlier, after the wife's mandatory 48hrs cooling off period). Not a problem, he was willing to send someone to pickup the car, drain the water, and return the car. He offered to throw in a complete 'detail' package. I passed on the detail and explained I work some distance away, and it would be easier if I just arranged later in the week to drop by for the drain service. Happy-Happy-Happy (I know, it should have been done without all the drama, but it's moving forward)

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Just received an email from the service manager (I had emailed him the details earlier, after the wife's mandatory 48hrs cooling off period). Not a problem, he was willing to send someone to pickup the car, drain the water, and return the car. He offered to throw in a complete 'detail' package. I passed on the detail and explained I work some distance away, and it would be easier if I just arranged later in the week to drop by for the drain service. Happy-Happy-Happy (I know, it should have been done without all the drama, but it's moving forward)
Sounds like good customer service there. But I am wondering why you are so concerned with draining the water? I've read every post on this forum, and I think in 3 years maybe one person ever got the "water in fuel" message. Most people never drain and have no issues.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,885 Posts
When I changed the fuel filter on ours back in March, I let everything flow out (didn't use the drain plug on the bottom) into a drain pan I have. I've let that thing sit outside in the sun multiple days - and the liquid amount hasn't decreased much - meaning there was hardly any water at all in the diesel. I wouldn't be too concerned.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
We run 40000 miles on our semi fuel filters and very seldom ever drain water from them. There is a drain petcock on the bottom , something wish was on our CTD.
Usually a loss of power is a reason to drain the filter. Back around 15 years ago seamed to get water all the time in the filter but diesel has come a long and water is seldom a issue anymore.
Im like Diesel 116000 miles and never drained any water from mine.

·
Premium Member
5,885 Posts
There is a drain petcock on the bottom , something wish was on our CTD.
You mean like this that is on the CTD?

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
That's not a petcock, that you have to use a tool to open. I'm talking a twist like on radiators or preferably a side twist thumb screw

·
Premium Member
5,885 Posts
You'll get more drained out if it's on the bottom - but you have to have a hex like that so it can flow through the head. Otherwise, it'd need to be redesigned to have an angled bottom with the petcock on one side.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
All the CTD is, is a simple drain plug. A petcock can be mounted Directly on the bottom. Wear they are on our semis and have been there for years no need for a new design. Threaded bottom screw petcock in

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was one of the members who has seen the water in fuel message on the DIC. I drained the fuel filter into a few glass jars and could see a cup or so of water in the bottom of one of the jars. Now after a oil change the water in fuel message came on again and so I drained the fuel filter again...2 times in 24K miles.... I guess I'm going to drain the fuel filter at every oil change. It's so easy to do that there's no good reason not to do it while your under the car changing the oil...maybe 15 more minute's and that's using car ramps...a dealer with the car on the lift could do the job in 5 minute's while the oil is draining....BTW... the dealer stripped my oil drain bolt too....told me the bolt seize...I guess they don't think that some people actually get under the car and look and how does a bolt seize in a aluminum oil pan....I know the tech used a english wrench instead of a metric on the bolt and stripped the head of the bolt...anyways...the dealer has ordered me a new drain bolt and this was my last free oil change so I won't have that problem anymore

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
If you're regularly draining water from your filter then you're regularly buying bad fuel.

Time to buy your diesel somewhere else.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Yup. At 44k km I've yet to have an issue. Filter is at 11%

1 - 20 of 75 Posts