Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at Trifecta and BNR tuning. Awesome stuff! My question is, does the manufacturer detect these custom tunes? In other words, are they a surefire way to void the warranty on a new car?

I'm imaging myself loading the new tuning, and shortly after, the powertrain failing and the manufacturer refusing to replace it due to customization.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
An ECM tune is a surefire to void your warranty. There will be people after me saying how the tune is invisible or doesn't toggle the flash counter, but ignore their cries; if you tune your car, just pretend you don't have a warranty anymore.

If you have that mindset, you're ready to tune. If they do happen to warranty it, woohoo bonus!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
While Eric's comment about voiding the warranty is technically correct many powertrain failures are still covered under the warranty. For instance, a PCV valve or water pump would be covered since a performance tune doesn't drive them any harder.

Just be aware that any tune may void the warranty, but in the US at least, GM must prove the tune caused the failure.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
To put your mind at rest, this is GM's take on the subject:

[FONT=&quot]Damage Due to Accident, Misuse, or Alteration

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover damage caused as a result of the following:

• Collision, fire, theft, freezing, vandalism, riot, explosion, or objects striking the vehicle.
  • Misuse of the vehicle such as driving over curbs, overloading, racing, or other competition. Proper Vehicle use is discussed in the Owner’s Manual.
  • Alteration, modification, or tampering to the vehicle, including, but not limited to the body, chassis, powertrain, driveline, software, or other components after final assembly by GM.
  • Coverages do not apply if the odometer has been disconnected, its reading has been altered, or mileage cannot be determined.
  • Installation of non-GM (General Motors) parts.
  • Water or fluid contamination.
  • Damage resulting from hail, floods, windstorms, lightning, and other environmental conditions.
  • Alteration of glass parts by application of tinting films.

Important: This warranty is void on vehicles currently or previously titled as salvage scrapped, junked, or otherwise considered a total loss.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
You should be asking the tune companies what their warranty is on their product and what liability they will accept should their product cause damage to your vehicle.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should be asking the tune companies what their warranty is on their product and what liability they will accept should their product cause damage to your vehicle.
I was thinking more general wear and tear, or if my car is a lemon haha not that I'm worried about that.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
He also modified exhaust. That's probably what got him. And if you look at the fixed vid he posted. Apparently they fixed the exhaust as he's not going to add it back on. Although it sounds the same to me.

Nice hole he's got in the front where there used to be a grille.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've been looking at Trifecta and BNR tuning. Awesome stuff! My question is, does the manufacturer detect these custom tunes? In other words, are they a surefire way to void the warranty on a new car?

I'm imaging myself loading the new tuning, and shortly after, the powertrain failing and the manufacturer refusing to replace it due to customization.

Thanks!
For whats it worth, I found this thread.

SilveradoSierra.com • GM Dealers Checking for Aftermarket Tuning to Void Warranty : Performance Tuning - Page 4

"Why would GM bother to direct dealerships to download history and send it to them and incur the cost for the labor for a warranty repair if they couldn't use the data and reject claims? I am sure in the past, the software the dealership used or Control Moduless couldn't detect or log non-factory tunes. It seems that has changed. Most of us know a company/business will not expend labor and $$$ to do something unless it helps the bottom line. In this case it is avoiding warranty repairs regardless of if the tune was to blame. If you were to expend this labor and $$$ and not be able to detect the tunes then it makes no sense because GM ends up paying not only for the repairs but also the added cost of collecting and sending the info. Food for thought. I don't think RagsMatt needs to provide evidence given the GM direction."

"LOL, too bad even us lazy crappy techs at the dealer have to go through these steps for certain repairs. It's a requirement to take captures of all the required data and send it to be verified prior to starting certain repairs under warranty. So while we may not give a crap about your brand new mud flaps having scratches in them, we cannot proceed on that engine replacement or repair without doing our due diligence."

They will check for the write count.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Eh, if it's true that GM can detect the tune on the Cruze, and subsequently refuse warranty repair even though there is overwhelming proof that completely stock Cruzes are blowing pistons without any fault of their owners, then I will say that I will not be a customer of theirs going forward because the tunes provided by the popular players are FAR superior to THEIR factory tune for both performance, and for not running the engine so lean that it destroys itself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Eh, if it's true that GM can detect the tune on the Cruze, and subsequently refuse warranty repair even though there is overwhelming proof that completely stock Cruzes are blowing pistons without any fault of their owners, then I will say that I will not be a customer of theirs going forward because the tunes provided by the popular players are FAR superior to THEIR factory tune for both performance, and for not running the engine so lean that it destroys itself.
GM requires for TAC and PQC all data logs emailed to gm engineering for review during the event of an engine replacement. However dealers with full engine repair auth. Are allowed to repair the engine under warranty with out engineering auth. The problem starts when non oem equipment is on the vehicle, cold air intake, anything deleted, waste gate actuator arm moved etc. Etc. This calls for programming check. A tech can check calibrations in house using sps and confirm whether or not the vehicle has aftermarket tuning, we can also check how many programming events have been performed . Now let's say you bought another pcm. The new pcm will show a replacement part number calibration. Which if you never had a pcm replaced under warranty it will raise a red flag. But if you tune the new pcm and leave the oem one alone it's hard to prove but a good tech would check the bcm for programming events because the pcm and bcm are on the same data line and store both programming events. Moral of the story is if you crack a piston with a tune car the question of you getting caught is how good the tech is performance techs like myself are required to check tuning software. And if they contact TAC for a engineering case which helps during a big warranty claim TAC will ask in the first 3 questions if the vehicle has been modified. If the tech didn't notice your in the clear. But regardless of brand Chevy Ford dodge etc. They all follow pretty much the same steps. It's the gamble you take. Hope this info helps

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
He also modified exhaust. That's probably what got him. And if you look at the fixed vid he posted. Apparently they fixed the exhaust as he's not going to add it back on. Although it sounds the same to me.

Nice hole he's got in the front where there used to be a grille.

Why would the exhaust have anything to do with it? I'm curious and I don't know cause I actually recently got a muffler delete on mine.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Why would the exhaust have anything to do with it? I'm curious and I don't know cause I actually recently got a muffler delete on mine.
I'm not sure what, if any, effect a muffler delete or other catback mods would have on a warranty claim, but GM wants the technician to tell them if the car is modified when they're processing a warranty claim, and a cat delete would certainly qualify as an unapproved (not to mention illegal) modification.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Don't think this is strictly a GM thing, but anything to deny a claim, I'm sure. The fewer they pay for, the more money they keep in their pockets. My biggest hangup on going for a tuning option is my lifetime powertrain warranty.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
GM has apparently sent out a TSB to all dealerships about aftermarket tunes. This TSB asks them to check for them before proceeding with certain warranty work.

·
Registered
214 Posts
GM has apparently sent out a TSB to all dealerships about aftermarket tunes. This TSB asks them to check for them before proceeding with certain warranty work.
Yes they did, but the TSB is asking the tech for checksum values so if you flash back to stock your checksum values should be stock hence warranty should be intact

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 79 Posts